www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 16-12-18, 23:51   #11
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Oh god I attracted Chi. Of course, a trampoline makes perfect sense. One of the valuables lurking down there Pierre mentioned.
Old 17-12-18, 00:23   #12
Boobandie
Professor

Both Larson and Pierre 'die' offscreen in Rome, and are then physically gunned down in TR1. Rome has to happen before TR1, the timeline says it happens before TR1, I don't understand why so many fans can't grasp that.

Sure it looks like they both die in Chronicles, but Larson is just thrown across a courtyard and Pierre falls down a pit. Offscreen deaths usually mean they didn't really die (take Natla in TR1 for example).

It's also worth mentioning that what we see of the Rome adventure is from the perspective of Lara's aged butler retelling what she told him five years prior. It's possible we have a bit of unreliable narration.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 02:04   #13
Topixtor
Student

When you kill the cook during the cutscene in the Submarine, you can still see his body disappear like every other enemy; to me, this "implies" the death of a character in TR4 to AOD;

I never thought of Larson being dead in Chronicles as he simply isn't there after the cutscene, and we can apply the same logic to Pierre since his body isn't down there if you decide to go check yourself (My young self did and I think everyone who played Chronicles had the urge to do that lol).

Also, as mentioned before, Natla may be a supernatural demi-mutant-god but you can clearly see her fall down to the lava filled bottom of Atlantis only to see her return even stronger moments later...

To me, it would also be perfectly possible for Larson and Pierre to just having survived TR1, I mean Lara guns them down A LOT throught the game without actually killing and as characters I can totally see them faking death and giving up their quests just for self preservation and similar reasons
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 04:49   #14
Grimaldi
Professor

I’ve always leant towards Rome occurring after TR1 due to no one appearing to recognise each other in the original, but not only are Larson and Pierre somewhat acquainted with Lara already in Chronicles, they seem both afraid (backing away on the balcony) and tense around her in a way they weren’t before.

Skip to TR1 and Larson and Lara are vaguely flirting with each other, and Pierre probably just wants to get the artefact and get paid first, hence the shooting. It’s weird. I don’t think they intended to ever revisit these two, which is why they blatantly die in the original, but the devs goofed by bringing them back for Chronicles like it happened afterwards imo.

Last edited by Grimaldi; 17-12-18 at 05:01.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 14:52   #15
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Also, as mentioned before, Natla may be a supernatural demi-mutant-god but you can clearly see her fall down to the lava filled bottom of Atlantis only to see her return even stronger moments later...
I always assumed Natla was caught during her fall by one of her Atlantean mutants as far as Tomb Raider 1 goes, Natla is a regular mortal with no real powers of her own, lasting only to the present era due to her being cryogenically frozen and only underwent a metamorphosis with the mutant when she was saved since by that time she did activate the Scion and it produced some crazy abilities in the pyramid.
Old 17-12-18, 15:17   #16
TR-Freak
Professor

I always assumed the inconsistencies were because we played the stories how Lara told them to her friends. Maybe she told them Rome like "and then, Pierre fell down the deep pit", but maybe the pit wasn't that deep when Lara was actually there. Since we play memories told by someone who wasn't there. Maybe Lara found Pierre and Larson so unimportant she wanted them to be removed form her memory
Old 17-12-18, 15:30   #17
Topixtor
Student

Actually, I always thought they did never actually die; just seemed the good old "rivals that come back even after they have been killed" type of thing
Also remember that Sophia returns in TLA after literally being electrocuted and exploding, and the Opera House boss returns in Home Sweet Home with just one arm bandaged after the 3678 bullets Lara gave to him And in TR1 Lara still knows both Pierre and Larson, it's just a bit less explained.
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 17:36   #18
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

I wonder what kind of milkshake Pierre bought Larson
Brendanlovesu1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-18, 18:02   #19
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
Actually, I always thought they did never actually die; just seemed the good old "rivals that come back even after they have been killed" type of thing
Also remember that Sophia returns in TLA after literally being electrocuted and exploding, and the Opera House boss returns in Home Sweet Home with just one arm bandaged after the 3678 bullets Lara gave to him And in TR1 Lara still knows both Pierre and Larson, it's just a bit less explained.
Having Sophia return would somewhat make sense, she did hold the Eye of Isis when she was being electrocuted and it does grant the user immortality, so it probably had some odd reaction which spared her from death or to make it more simple a resurrection after the explosion of energy which revived her conscious and body together elsewhere.

Knowing how crafty she is though, she probably prepared for such a situation which may play out similar to my theory.
Old 17-12-18, 18:33   #20
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
I’ve always leant towards Rome occurring after TR1 due to no one appearing to recognise each other in the original, but not only are Larson and Pierre somewhat acquainted with Lara already in Chronicles, they seem both afraid (backing away on the balcony) and tense around her in a way they weren’t before.

Skip to TR1 and Larson and Lara are vaguely flirting with each other, and Pierre probably just wants to get the artefact and get paid first, hence the shooting. It’s weird. I don’t think they intended to ever revisit these two, which is why they blatantly die in the original, but the devs goofed by bringing them back for Chronicles like it happened afterwards imo.
I think it's important to consider that Larson and Pierre aren't really the big bad guys. I wouldn't call them enemies of Lara, necessarily. Rivals for sure, but even rivals can have (somewhat) friendly relationships. I think the idea was to make Larson and Pierre long time treasure hunters/rivals of Lara by bringing them back in TRC. Because like you said, they already seem to know each other in TRC. That's not supposed to mean they met in TR1 (which would break the timeline), but rather they've met prior to TRC even, in some encounter that we're not shown.

Like you said, in TR1 Larson and Lara appear to be acquainted, and there's not really anything to explicitly imply she hasn't met Pierre. Larson doesn't attack her until the end of Peru, but Pierre goes after her as soon as she catches up with him in Greece. Let's assume that they haven't had any encounters since TRC. Larson is a dumb ass (his words), and he flirts quite a bit with Lara in TRC and TR1. So he doesn't stay mad at her after their last encounter in Rome. Pierre, on the other hand, is much smarter than Larson and knows Lara got the drop on when they met in Rome. So he wastes no time playing around and treats her as a threat from the get go. It's not perfect, but in my eyes it seems plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendanlovesu1 View Post
I wonder what kind of milkshake Pierre bought Larson
Honestly this is the real question we need answers for!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote