www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 02-01-19, 12:41   #1
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Default Why didn't Shelley last longer?

Playing through TR1 and really enjoying Shelley's voice, I can't help but wonder why she was changed for TR2 after the huge success of the first game considering how enthusiastic she was about TR? She would have accepted to return for Legend, and even today is very openly fond of her role as Lara, was there a specific reason why she was replaced by Judith? It seems odd seeing how Judith wasn't really a big name or even a voice actress.
Old 02-01-19, 13:14   #2
Maverin
Explorer

I don't know the answer to your question, but I want to say that Judith was my favourite classic Lara's voice. She was just magical...
Old 02-01-19, 15:29   #3
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I think I read somewhere that Shelley was having to deal with some other things whether it had been personal or business related so she was unable to reprise the role of Lara so Judith was the one to take over and continue but honestly with the events Shelley is attending as of late with the involvement of the Tomb Raider Suite, she really has gotten to see the praise off fans showing how much she is still loved in the community.

To be honest though, I feel each voice actor we had: Shelley for TR1, Judith for TR2-TR3 and Jonell for TR4-TR5 and TR6 suited each version and appearance of Lara on the games and I could not really see them being any different so technically each voice actor was their own Lara Croft which was neat so what I am saying is that I don't think Shelley's voice would have suited Lara on TR4 or Jonell for TR1.

I am friends with Shelley over on Twitter so I will ask her about it to make sure this is an accurate thing I read and I will get to you all on it.
Old 02-01-19, 15:41   #4
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
I think I read somewhere that Shelley was having to deal with some other things whether it had been personal or business related so she was unable to reprise the role of Lara so Judith was the one to take over and continue but honestly with the events Shelley is attending as of late with the involvement of the Tomb Raider Suite, she really has gotten to see the praise off fans showing how much she is still loved in the community.

To be honest though, I feel each voice actor we had: Shelley for TR1, Judith for TR2-TR3 and Jonell for TR4-TR5 and TR6 suited each version and appearance of Lara on the games and I could not really see them being any different so technically each voice actor was their own Lara Croft which was neat so what I am saying is that I don't think Shelley's voice would have suited Lara on TR4 or Jonell for TR1.

I am friends with Shelley over on Twitter so I will ask her about it to make sure this is an accurate thing I read and I will get to you all on it.
The first part is true, and I agree with the rest. Each voice actor worked really, really well for their respective games’ appearances, and though Judith is probably my favorite, Shelley always sounded absolutely lovely, and I wouldn’t be at all against her reprising her role as Lara in a game.
Old 02-01-19, 19:59   #5
Kapu
Professor

I found the response TombRaiderTim might be thinking of:

Quote:
Sadly, you didn’t voice Lara in Tomb Raider II – although Judith Gibbins did an excellent job as your replacement. What led to Lara being recast?

They called me a year later and asked me to voice the second game but by that time I was contracted for something else and I was unable to. I did however give my permission for them to use my sound bites… and they used them on games II and III. For me it wasn’t a big deal compared to what I was contracted to… it was just one job I would be missing out on and as I said because I wasn’t a gamer it didn’t really mean anything to me. Just that I wasn’t available for the job. If I had been of course I would have done it. SOURCE
I'd definitely recommend reading the whole interview. It gives you a better idea of Shelley's relationship with TR. Despite how active and engaged she is with the character and fans these days, it hasn't been that way since TR1 came out. She didn't really reconnect with TR until the advent of Twitter and such, which makes total sense.

As for casting Judith, it wouldn't have been at all odd to cast her back then. Today, a leading part in a AAA video game is akin to leading role in a movie. Big talent with acting chops are sought after. It wasn't like that at all in 1997. Some games had extensive dialog, but the majority didn't. You hired local talent for voice acting; they recorded their lines usually in a single session. Judith had a relative at Core who suggested she audition, and that's how she got the gig.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-19, 21:38   #6
Legends
Tomb Raider

Thanks for sharing that interview, Kapu. I love that she's friends with Jonell. How cool is that! I'd love to listen one of their conversations, lol. How did I not know that the original Lara and the 3rd Lara are close friends?

Quote:
Have you ever met any of the other Lara Croft voice actors?

One of my really good friends is Jonell Elliot. She is one of the voices [Jonell voiced Lara in Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Tomb Raider: Chronicles and Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness] and I adore her. We texted only yesterday sending each other pictures of our kids. Jonny and I go way back. We used to do West End shows together… all singing all dancing!! And that was years before Tomb Raider happened. I don’t know any of the others. I’m sure they are all lovely.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 08:18   #7
Johnnay
Tomb Raider

If only there was a picture of Shelly, Judith and Jonnell together or a TV Series of them lol.

But yeah I think she had personal stuff back then and don’t forget Judith’s brother worked at Core Back then
Old 09-01-19, 08:25   #8
Maverin
Explorer

Does anyone know why Judith got replaced after TRIII? I always wondered why.
Old 09-01-19, 10:00   #9
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I thought about this too, why did the VA get replaced. I'm thinking maybe they were afraid they would ask for more money at some point, like that Shelly would ask for a star salary if fans got used to her and they wanted to keep her? That's far-fetched, but I never really understood why they were changed. Perhaps the marketing felt they need to replace VAs to refresh things...

Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-19, 12:51   #10
Brendanlovesu1
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I found the response TombRaiderTim might be thinking of:

I'd definitely recommend reading the whole interview. It gives you a better idea of Shelley's relationship with TR. Despite how active and engaged she is with the character and fans these days, it hasn't been that way since TR1 came out. She didn't really reconnect with TR until the advent of Twitter and such, which makes total sense.

As for casting Judith, it wouldn't have been at all odd to cast her back then. Today, a leading part in a AAA video game is akin to leading role in a movie. Big talent with acting chops are sought after. It wasn't like that at all in 1997. Some games had extensive dialog, but the majority didn't. You hired local talent for voice acting; they recorded their lines usually in a single session. Judith had a relative at Core who suggested she audition, and that's how she got the gig.
That's actually really cool that some of shelly's sound bites were used in TR 2 and 3. I assume that's when she runs into a wall, pushes a block etc??
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote