Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 11-04-19, 20:35   #51
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
It wasn't the same director.
Director doesn't have to say anything, most notable director's have one or more turds in their portfolio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
I loved every second of it, Emma Watson really incarnates Bella. And I cant wait to bear Beyoncé as Nala. The Lion Queen!
I... How do people like this film?! It's such a terrible adaptation of the animated film.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 20:42   #52
biscuits

This looks like a NatGeo wilds documentary. The animal expressions are just so lifeless when compared to the animated film.
And I think the Lion King is the most overrated Disney film!
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 11:09   #53
Avalon SARL

While I think Lion King is overrated.... even a ripoff from a japanese animated series (Kimba, white lion), it still has a nice story to it.

And it will even be deeper and prettier this time because the animated movie feels very childish to me as I watch it now (except few very strong scenes).

Scar looks better this way IMO; because there has to be a reason why he isn't king and maybe this is what they are showing.

Scientifically, lions with dark manes are said to be stronger and prettier and that they attract more females...

So it makes sense in this one for him to look like this.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 08:47   #54
thabani33

Quote:
Having said that... I'm not sold on Scar's look. I had to do a double-take on the first shot of him to make sure I was looking at Scar.
Someone fixed that:

https://www.boredpanda.com/lion-king...mpaign=organic
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 09:01   #55
ggctuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thabani33 View Post
Yes, I saw that, and I don't think it works at all when you consider that those animated version appearances worked in elements of the actors playing them. Scar was literally lion Jeremy Irons. Hearing a different voice come from that mouth was jarring in The Lion Guard.
ggctuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 09:12   #56
thabani33

^ The live action look and animation didn't work for me since the characters didn't have a wide range of emotions in their performances.

The Jungle Book I believe pulled it off well since it had a good balance of realism and cartoony feel mixed together. Then Jon Favreau had to complain that the masterpiece 2016 Jungle Book was not realistic enough, then because of that we got the soul-less 2019 Lion King *sigh*
Old 16-10-19, 09:48   #57
Zsott

Quote:
I prefer the realistic ones. The whole point of this, is being realistic, not cartoony. On the other hand, Scar needs to be more... different?
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-19, 15:04   #58
ggctuk

Quote:
^ The live action look and animation didn't work for me since the characters didn't have a wide range of emotions in their performances.

The Jungle Book I believe pulled it off well since it had a good balance of realism and cartoony feel mixed together. Then Jon Favreau had to complain that the masterpiece 2016 Jungle Book was not realistic enough, then because of that we got the soul-less 2019 Lion King *sigh*
That sounds like a load of assumption and unlikely to be true - no director goes "hmm, yeah, let's make them less expressive this time around". This is also the first time I have heard the claim that Favreau decided that it wasn't 'realistic enough'.

I think what is more likely is that Favreau had his idea to make a film that might or might not have been more loosely based on the original - same story beats, different way of unfolding like TJB. I believe that Disney likely interfered after seeing that sticking rigidly to the source material worked for Beauty And The Beast. Things had to be changed even fairly late in the game (only four of the five songs were going to be included which explains why Be Prepared received such a bad re-envisioning - it was added in late to the game) and that meant less time for the 3D artists and animators to work, so expressions were the things that wound up being worked on less because they needed to get the movement animations done.

You also have to account for the way things are done - the workflow - that might have changed between the two films. New technologies come out that can alter the way digital films like this are approached.

TLDR: Favreau probably wanted to go his own way, Disney kept interfering, and this film was the result.

And let's be honest here: The Jungle Book was a damn good film, but it was not a masterpiece.
Old 17-10-19, 06:08   #59
thabani33

Quote:
That sounds like a load of assumption and unlikely to be true..........This is also the first time I have heard the claim that Favreau decided that it wasn't 'realistic enough'.
Oh yeah he did say that:

https://youtu.be/Iowo_07Ja8g?t=313

Now you know it's not just assumption.

You're welcome

Last edited by thabani33; 17-10-19 at 06:10.
Old 17-10-19, 10:41   #60
ggctuk

Quote:
Oh yeah he did say that:

https://youtu.be/Iowo_07Ja8g?t=313

Now you know it's not just assumption.

You're welcome
I'll see that later, but just an addendum: my point still stands. Favreau didn't deliberately decide one day to just make them less expressive. More realistic =/= less expressive.

Last edited by ggctuk; 17-10-19 at 10:59.