Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-12-19, 03:20   #28961
LaraCablara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
RotTR does have a more realistic artstyle, but technically the only thing it does better is character rendering and arguably lighting (though SotTR's is more consistent). SotTR excels in environment rendering and has a better post effect pipeline. It does go for a more stylistic direction, which while not necessarily worse, it makes things look a bit more unrealistic. Personally I prefer the look of SotTR, even when going back and forth the two games.
It suits the series way more. If I hadn't known that someone other than Crystal developed Shadow I would have thought they something was up because it was much more in line with the more colorful graphics in the classic games.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 14:05   #28962
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Rise definatly had a edge in graphics in some areas. Like Wet Lara, it's like the effect does not exist in Shadow. Only time I've ever seen the wet effect on Lara is with the tribal skin. It's the only outfit where Lara actually appears wet.
It's as I said, character rendering is where RotTR really shines, and those still apply to character rendering. The only thing SotTR does better in that regards is the look of Lara's hair (that actually looks like hair, and when it's settings get lowered to RotTR's settings, the difference is undeniable), but as you showed, RotTR still wins in hair interactivity with the environment, especially when wet.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 15:19   #28963
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
It's as I said, character rendering is where RotTR really shines, and those still apply to character rendering. The only thing SotTR does better in that regards is the look of Lara's hair (that actually looks like hair, and when it's settings get lowered to RotTR's settings, the difference is undeniable), but as you showed, RotTR still wins in hair interactivity with the environment, especially when wet.
I actually prefer Rises hair, it's much more animated and I like the shine. I prefer a lot of things with Rise to be honest.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-19, 15:52   #28964
Portugalraider

Quote:
I actually prefer Rises hair, it's much more animated and I like the shine. I prefer a lot of things with Rise to be honest.
I personally don't like the shine, makes the hair look too much like plastic tapes. SotTR's hair looks much more like actual hair.

But yes, RotTR's hair is much more animated (perhaps a tad bit too much, a bit more of weight would be better I think). A blend between SotTR's look and RotTR's interactivity (alongside a new haircut ) would be a good "best of both worlds" for me.
Old 07-12-19, 18:14   #28965
ANoDE
Golden

Default SotTR - Screenshot Competition #3 - Results are in!

The results of the SotTR - Screenshot Competition #3 are in!

Check them out here!

Keep an eye out for the next competition in the Competition section

ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 20:53   #28966
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Yeah, your’re right about that.
The art direction and story (Byzantine) intrigued me (even if the story generally was weak), and Geothermal Valley was something first in TR and enjoyable (unlike Paititi). And this may be nitpicky, but I like the Rise manor better than the Shadow manor. Why did they change it? I dare say that Rise’s Lara model was modern, HQ, and more... sightly.

Shadow Lara’s hair looks like she’s been to the same barber shop that Final Fantasy characters visit. Spiky, stiff, and unrealistic. I mean, her forelocks doesn’t even move 1 cm (especially noticeable on the Unuratu prison cell scene where Lara kneels over).

Was a Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts crossover planned? Idk, Kingdom Hearts got released in 2018? Around Shadow’s time? Pure coincidence? Oh, now I remember. There was also a lame TR/Final Fantasy crossover where SOTTR’s music and default outfit were DLCs for FF players. Was there more planned to it? Guess we’ll never know...... I remember the excitement for it arounds its announcement time.

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 08-12-19 at 20:54.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-19, 21:31   #28967
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Yeah, your’re right about that.
The art direction and story (Byzantine) intrigued me (even if the story generally was weak), and Geothermal Valley was something first in TR and enjoyable (unlike Paititi).
Call it a perhaps unpopular opinion, but I rather have 1000 Paititis than having to go through the boring blandness and uselessness that is Geothermal Valley.

You have a really big hub, yet you concentrate all story segments in the same place, and make the rest of the hub so horizontal that if becomes kind of a boring chore to explore? Geothermal Valley is a complete waste of a perfectly good concept for a hub. At least the story segments in Paititi are somehow spreader along different edges of the hub, and it is filled with climbing or swimming paths in case you get bored of just walking.

You want of what Geothermal Valley should have been like? Look at San Juan: yes, the story segments are still all concentrated in the same overall, inhabited area, but a large wild and/or abandoned area is filled with interesting route possibilities that it doesn't fill like a chore having to go around and look for the cripts and challenge tombs.
Old 08-12-19, 23:23   #28968
SoraSakai
Inactive

A TR game doesn’t need a hub to begin with. I would’ve much preferred abandoned ancient cities riddled with traps and remnants of what they once were.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 00:05   #28969
OrangeJuice

my issue with the geothermal valley in rise is that it looks awful. the lighting is really really bad and the lack of decent anti-aliasing makes the foliage look... painful. i've tried cranking up the graphics to the max but still, it doesn't look good. pait*ti is annoying as hell but at least it looks good.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-19, 01:42   #28970
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
my issue with the geothermal valley in rise is that it looks awful. the lighting is really really bad and the lack of decent anti-aliasing makes the foliage look... painful. i've tried cranking up the graphics to the max but still, it doesn't look good. pait*ti is annoying as hell but at least it looks good.
Geothermal valley only looks good at sunset.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote