www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 07-02-19, 22:11   #1
Purcell91
Hobbyist

Default Best controller for Original TR games on PC...HELP

Hi all, i might be a little bit out of practice on here, i used to be on this forum about 10 years ago(which is insane in itself) and now i come back again seeking advice from the amazing tomb raider community 👍.

So a few years back i purchased the tomb raider 1-6 series on pc but with time constraints i never had time to replay through them on pc & always wanted to play it there due to the added expansions like The Lost Artifact etc....but i wouldn't lie by saying my keyboard skills would not be up to the highest standard at all, that's where i come seeking advice on a possible controller/joystick option for playing through them?

I own a playstation and not an xbox so i wouldn't have the option of using a 360 controller, but is there any certain types of controller(hopefully something along the lines of a PS dualshock) that can do the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Purcell91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 22:50   #2
Teeth
Archaeologist

8BitDo produce a wide range of cool yet cheap controllers.
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-19, 22:58   #3
_Seth
Explorer

I've used the Logitech F310 Gamepad for the last 10 years and it works excellently on everything I need it for.
Old 08-02-19, 05:20   #4
tlr online
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell91 View Post
Hi all, i might be a little bit out of practice on here, i used to be on this forum about 10 years ago(which is insane in itself) and now i come back again seeking advice from the amazing tomb raider community 👍.

So a few years back i purchased the tomb raider 1-6 series on pc but with time constraints i never had time to replay through them on pc & always wanted to play it there due to the added expansions like The Lost Artifact etc....but i wouldn't lie by saying my keyboard skills would not be up to the highest standard at all, that's where i come seeking advice on a possible controller/joystick option for playing through them?

I own a playstation and not an xbox so i wouldn't have the option of using a 360 controller, but is there any certain types of controller(hopefully something along the lines of a PS dualshock) that can do the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome back. I can help you recover your old membership if you wish.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 11:40   #5
fallenangle
Archaeologist

Use any old PS/PS2 Dualshock controller you have with a simple USB adapter.

A few people have reported driver problems with some adapters which include a driver disc or download but I've found that ones like this:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-.../dp/B000NJBD90

work pretty much flawlessly "plug n' play" with Windows XP/7 generic USB controller drivers ie. plug it in, make sure it is recognised/functioning in device manager/hardware and then away you go.

According to other users there are apparent variations in components and build quality so this is not an endorsement of that particular make or source but I have used two which look like ^ that and they've both worked fine ever since I first used them.

You will need Joy2Key or another controller mapper for TR1 but the other games support joypads in the menus although IMHO it is best to remap them to match the original PS games' controls. That makes them play as authentically as possible.

Only thing that is not supported is the rumble function at least I've never been able to get it to work. I'm not even sure if the PC TRs even support it anyway. For these games you really do not miss it at all.

Last edited by fallenangle; 09-02-19 at 12:27. Reason: Referral data removed.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 16:52   #6
Purcell91
Hobbyist

Thanks for all the help peeps, but i think I've seen badassgamez using the logitech controller for his pc during livestreams so i might opt and go for that 👍 i just hope there's no issues with windows 10 or anything like that, not the biggest fan of it personally but that's the way the laptop came.
Purcell91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 16:57   #7
drbunnig
Student

I used a Logitech for a few years with no issues, but they're not the most robust or sturdy of controllers, and eventually it stopped working (issue with the wire). But I guess everything has to give up the ghost someday.

After that I just went for an Xbox One controller. Expensive but it uses a USB cable so should last a fair while, plus the layout is close enough to a PS controller for me.. I use Xpadder to map my controls, although it should work fine without having to use a 3rd party program.

Last edited by drbunnig; 08-02-19 at 16:59.
drbunnig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-19, 08:55   #8
SarahPilko
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell91 View Post
You can use any PS controller as you wish I use a PS4 controller using DS4Windows program, which allows you to use DualShock 4 controller on Windows. It takes no more than a minute to set up. Also you will need a program like antimicro, Xpadder or JoyToKey to map keyboard buttons to controller buttons.

PS3 controller needs ScpToolkit program, which works similar to DS4Windows (although I never tried it).

For PS2 controller, you can use a USB adapter, like fallenangle has mentioned above
SarahPilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 20:21   #9
Legends
Tomb Raider

I play with a PlayStation 4 controller, and it works perfectly.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-19, 16:59   #10
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I play with a PlayStation 4 controller, and it works perfectly.
Yeah me too, DS4's d-pad is great for this game IMO.