Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 01-03-21, 18:12   #1
Sat42

Exclamation TR4 CGI cutscenes visual glitch

I have just started playing Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation and finished the prologue.

In general I am happy - I have the GOG version, playing on Windows 7 64 bit with a 5:4 monitor at 1280x1024, everything works perfectly...

The prerendered videos look better than ever before in the series and are full screen too!

EXCEPT the CGI cinematics intermittently exhibit visual glitches whereby small black squares suddenly appear randomly on screen and in random numbers and disappear a second (or half second or whatever) later, and it really becomes noticeable with the cutscene after the prologue because of its length, and as a result these glitches are distracting.
Sometimes I get lucky and there are longer stretches of cutscene without the glitching but I would like to be able to enjoy these "treats" without disturbances obviously!

Funny because I remember stuff like this happening with another old game's CGI videos once, but I can't remember which one it was and how I solved it...

Can anyone suggest a solution? Bear in mind that I still want to play the original TR4, so a "patch" for compatibility or whatever is cool so long as it doesn't change anything in-game.

Thank you for any help!
Sat42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 21:26   #2
CircusBabysGal

I'm afraid there isn't a fix yet, the FMV's are generally quite weird when you run them on modern hardware, as an example it's weird when I play the game in my native resolution but when an FMV sequence plays in TR1-TR5 the window turns really small like 366x400 something probably.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 21:56   #3
Sat42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusBabysGal View Post
I'm afraid there isn't a fix yet, the FMV's are generally quite weird when you run them on modern hardware, as an example it's weird when I play the game in my native resolution but when an FMV sequence plays in TR1-TR5 the window turns really small like 366x400 something probably.
That would be a shame!
Strange also that FMVs in TR1-2-3 work perfectly by comparison, it's really just with TR4 that I have this problem.

I tried dumb stuff like downloading dgvoodoo2_73, extracting D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll (only available for x86 apparently and I have x64) and putting them in the installation folder for TR4: that does mean perfect playback of the FMVs (no glitch yay) but while I can move Lara around if I press escape or P for the menus the game freezes (also textures seems way more pixellated)

EDIT:
I have to elaborate a bit now that I have the time: I found this thread on GOG https://www.gog.com/forum/tomb_raide..._tomb_raider_4 that is where I got the idea for using dgvoodoo2 which in fairness I have used before for games like MDK or POD.
If I add the dgvoodooCPL and config file than I can get bilinear or trilinear filtering for textures etc. that is not a problem.
The D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll being listed under x86 just means they're for 32 bit games which TR4 is.
The real problem is that, while using the above completely fixes any visual glitch in the FMVs, I cannot open the inventory or main menu in-game - pressing the Escape button or P just freezes the whole program, I tried compatibility with XP and Windows 98 but still it doesn't solve the problem.
EDIT2: using Glide instead just makes the game playable like it was with the default GOG install, complete with glitches in the FMVs!

Last edited by Sat42; 02-03-21 at 11:16.
Old 02-03-21, 12:26   #4
Sat42

Default TR4 FMV solution for GOG version on Windows 7

Sorry for double posting but I found a solution and figured it could help others!

What my setup is:
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core 3.50 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
- mouse and keyboard
- 5:4 1280x1024 monitor (best for old games )

I am using the GOG version of TR4, in fullscreen. By default it works perfectly EXCEPT

What the problem is: intermittent visual glitches in the (fullscreen) FMVs, which act to spoil the enjoyment rather than truly break anything.

What the solution is: if your setup is similar to mine, and you experience the same problem, then use the following link:
https://raidingtheglobe.com/download...-fixes-patches
and download that 4.45 MB fan fix - it contains new tomb4.exe and binkw32.dll files which you place into your TR4 installation folder (if you don't want to lose the original .exe and .dll files which came with the GOG installer, just rename them to something like tomb4_old.exe and binkw32_old.dll).

What side effect is there: the FMVs will loop until you press the Escape key! I actually like this "feature" as I usually derive enough enjoyment from Tomb Raider cinematics that I like to watch them twice at least

Hell yeah now I can play Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation in perfect conditions lol