www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 17-05-21, 03:26   #1
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Default I just got a reference to Rutland in Underworld

When Lara is about to let Natla out, and Amanda and Dopple pop out, Lara says...

Lara: You destroyed my home. You killed Alister!

Amanda: I got what I wanted, isn't that all we care about?

I never had time to think about that because the cutscenes are so fast paced and action packed. They go straight into fighting. But now I get that Amanda was referencing Lara killing Rutland to accomplish her goal. So is that why she directed Doppleganger to kill Alister? Was that Dopplegangers mission and not her choice?

This is why they need to remake this game and add more cutscenes between Amanda, Natla and Doppleganger. That power dynamic is so interesting. There's a whole hierarchy of control. How the hell Natla was captured. Where Amanda got the money to fund this entire operation of successfully capturing a god? I need answers!
Old 17-05-21, 04:46   #2
JAMJOOM
Student

Default good point

One of the most profound scenes for me is when Lara said
Goodbye, my mother, rest in peace
I don’t know. It was very touching to feel the loss despite the hope
Old 17-05-21, 04:56   #3
JAMJOOM
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Safari View Post
When Lara is about to let Natla out, and Amanda and Dopple pop out, Lara says...

Lara: You destroyed my home. You killed Alister!

Amanda: I got what I wanted, isn't that all we care about?

I never had time to think about that because the cutscenes are so fast paced and action packed. They go straight into fighting. But now I get that Amanda was referencing Lara killing Rutland to accomplish her goal. So is that why she directed Doppleganger to kill Alister? Was that Dopplegangers mission and not her choice?

This is why they need to remake this game and add more cutscenes between Amanda, Natla and Doppleganger. That power dynamic is so interesting. There's a whole hierarchy of control. How the hell Natla was captured. Where Amanda got the money to fund this entire operation of successfully capturing a god? I need answers!
Really, I didn't think about it before
Rutland's murder was the cause of Amanda's anger
Where did she get the money from Natla, of course
Old 17-05-21, 05:32   #4
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMJOOM View Post
Really, I didn't think about it before
Rutland's murder was the cause of Amanda's anger
Where did she get the money from Natla, of course
Oh right! She arrived to the volcano after Lara and recovered Natla's body from the rubble. Wow, I love secret scenes like that, that happen off camera, but it's Amanda in Anniversary which is so mind-blowing because you don't imagine her in that game universe. Anniversary is hard to really connect to either legend or Underworld, it's kind of just there in the middle lol.

If you ever watch the show "You" on netflix, how the guy manipulates people behind a glass enclosing in his basement reminds me of Amanda to Natla. He gets people to tell him their passcodes and stuff and takes over their lives. I bet amanda thought she was doing that, but Natla was just happy to be alive and was giving Amanda everything she asked for including Doppleganger, so that Natla could watch Amanda destroy herself with power and Natla can be entertained. So much could be shown from this story. Underworld could be an entire 4 season show lol.
Old 17-05-21, 05:59   #5
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

I got the impression that James Rutland was the one funding Amanda's expeditions since he comes from a wealthy family, and was the one giving orders to his private army. It's possible Amanda still had access to Rutland's bank accounts after his death. Also Natla was the one who told Amanda about avalon so she was already in captivity before the events of Legend.

Natla manipulating people and playing them off against one-another like pawns from behind glass is so cool, and that's why she's the ultimate villain of the LAU trilogy.

I'm not really convinced Alister's death was about getting even but it's an interesting take on the rivalry between Lara and Amanda.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 09:10   #6
Valentino
Archaeologist

Amanda is talking about the wraith stone. I thought that was a given.
And Zip or Winston could have died too. The Doppelgänger nearly killed Zip as he states to Lara “what, so you can shoot me again?” - he even got hit in the leg. So doppleganger was most like informed to kill anyone on sight or whoever gets in the way (bar Lara). Things like how Amanda found Natla or who funded Amanda’s expedition aren’t really things that need to be shown on screen or even need screen time (it’s Lara’s story). As the director of the game has said, somethings need to be inferred or presumed off screen. Natla or Rutland will most likely of funded the expedition. Hard to tell. Don’t think it’s that deep. But Natla technology boxes were seen in Legend. Whether they are there as pure Easter egg or for shadowing, or to imply Amanda is actually using the company seeing as it’s their forte to find lost artefacts. I’d like to go with the latter.

Last edited by Valentino; 19-05-21 at 09:13.
Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 11:28   #7
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino View Post
Amanda is talking about the wraith stone. I thought that was a given.
And Zip or Winston could have died too. The Doppelgänger nearly killed Zip as he states to Lara “what, so you can shoot me again?” - he even got hit in the leg. So doppleganger was most like informed to kill anyone on sight or whoever gets in the way (bar Lara). Things like how Amanda found Natla or who funded Amanda’s expedition aren’t really things that need to be shown on screen or even need screen time (it’s Lara’s story). As the director of the game has said, somethings need to be inferred or presumed off screen. Natla or Rutland will most likely of funded the expedition. Hard to tell. Don’t think it’s that deep. But Natla technology boxes were seen in Legend. Whether they are there as pure Easter egg or for shadowing, or to imply Amanda is actually using the company seeing as it’s their forte to find lost artefacts. I’d like to go with the latter.
I haven't played any further than the first level of Underworld and therefore don't know the game at all well. When you say Amanda, is that the same Amanda from Legend or is it a different person?
Old 19-05-21, 20:50   #8
CircusBabysGal
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I haven't played any further than the first level of Underworld and therefore don't know the game at all well. When you say Amanda, is that the same Amanda from Legend or is it a different person?
Amanda from Legend, she serves as the secondary antagonist
Old 19-05-21, 20:55   #9
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusBabysGal View Post
Amanda from Legend, she serves as the secondary antagonist
Lara should've killed Amanda at the end of Legend when she had the opportunity to.