www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 16-11-20, 09:48   #17721
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

^I was just thinking about that line delivery, it's genuinely the only time I heard Alicia's English accent slip in the film the rest of the times it's so hard to tell she is Swedish.
Old 16-11-20, 10:38   #17722
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
^I was just thinking about that line delivery, it's genuinely the only time I heard Alicia's English accent slip in the film the rest of the times it's so hard to tell she is Swedish.
Are you talking about how she said it in the movie or in the trailer? Because it's a slightly different line in the trailer (maybe early take or a VO recorded for it). In the movie Lara mentions both Richard and Lu Ren's father. If it was in the trailer, maybe Alicia just made a quick recording and wasn't as "in character" as she was during production.

Although I don't really think Alicia has that much of an Swedish accent really, at least when compared to other Swedes like the Skarsgards.
Old 16-11-20, 12:33   #17723
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I mean in the movie, I think the line is altered for the actual theatrical cut to "I think I know where our dad's went" because she is talking to Lu like you said I might be paraphrasing that though. She could also pass for Irish in that scene. It's the only time I really noticed it though.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 16-11-20 at 12:34.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 13:01   #17724
Rai

The only accent slip I heard was when she said 'puzzle'. There was definite non English tone to it.
Old 16-11-20, 13:10   #17725
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Oh! This is very interesting. Since I am Spanish, I do not differentiate the types of accents, so it is cool to know what Alicia's English accent is like. I actually read a lot of British books and it's always funny when they say things like "it's a very Yorkshire accent" or things like that.

What do you think of Alicia's British accent in general? is it better than Jolie's?
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 14:49   #17726
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Miles better than Jolie's by far. I've never thought Jolie's was as terrible as everyone makes out but she was going for the Queen's English and it came off as very stereotyped and non specific. Daniel Craig had a terrible American accent though.

Alicia sometimes comes off a bit as Irish, I am Irish and we speak from similar parts of the throat and nose as Alicia does so I sometimes get that from her particularly the way she says her soft "T". Also I grew up in Hampshire for a large part of my childhood and have English family.

Overall Alicia is very capable and strong at doing an accent though if you didn't know she was Swedish I'd say it would be very hard to pinpoint her as anything other than English in the film.

Her accent is also more convincing than Camilla Luddington and she's a native.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 16-11-20 at 14:51.
Old 16-11-20, 15:14   #17727
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Oh! Good to Know. Curious that she, being Swedish, has a better accent than a native and an American.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-20, 15:36   #17728
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Well Camilla had a lot of Western influence in her accent I'd say she's more American than English but does capture the more youthful aspects of a modern English city girl.

Alicia is perfectly passable as a Brit and her accent is pretty much legitimate for the most part, Angelina is okay but she speaks more like a royal which I suppose fits the characters aristocratic background being the daughter of a Lord.

I don't think they mentioned or intended Richard to be a Lord in the reboot movie but I could be wrong. He appears as just a president of a company rather than having any connection to the British aristocracy.

I'm other news MGM/United Artists have partnered with Alicia's production company to make an anthology series based on Dial M for Murder this could go well for her future working relationship projects with them like Tomb Raider.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadlin...234616084/amp/

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 16-11-20 at 18:34.
Old 16-11-20, 19:59   #17729
SoraSakai
Inactive

Oh that’s very good news. Definitely shows they have a good working relationship.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-20, 16:32   #17730
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

Alicia hs a better accent than AJ when she played TR back in the 2000's.

But if AJ plays Lara again now, she will kill it with a fantastic British accent.

After Maleficent and just saw her in Come Away and the experience this woman has gained throughout her career;

a shame she can no longer play this character