www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 30-07-22, 16:58   #231
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Ryan Gosling’s Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
None of these things are woke, although tbf the word has kind of lost all meaning these days.

I think the concern is that they stop taking the piss out of everybody, which is what they've always done, and only go after "acceptable "targets and steer clear of taboo subjects.
I agree with you that these things aren’t woke, but it depends on who you talk to.
Having a gay character in a game is “woke” to some people, while to us it isn’t. You’re correct that it has lost its meaning.
Old 30-07-22, 18:44   #232
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

People aren't complaining much about the female character, it's the line specifically about social awareness and progressive moral values.

It's the moralism that lots of people have a problem with. It's similar to Christians beating you over the head about going to hell if you do xyz. That's basically what people mean when talking about wokeness. It's the same phenomenon, but with a different crowd of people.
Old 30-07-22, 18:47   #233
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
People aren't complaining much about the female character, it's the line specifically about social awareness and progressive moral values.

It's the moralism that lots of people have a problem with. It's similar to Christians beating you over the head about going to hell if you do xyz. That's basically what people mean when talking about wokeness. It's the same phenomenon, but with a different crowd of people.
If you think they arent complaining about the female character you clearly arent reading the same reddit threads as I did.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 20:02   #234
redfox45
Professor

The very idea of a direction like this is the definition of
"pulling the ladder up behind you"

Since it was created Grand Theft Auto has thrived on and been defined by being offensive and controversial. And GTA5 was no exception. That pathetic scene where you're made to torture that arabic guy who screams and cries for his children reaked of

"see we're still edgy bois...we're still hip, wait til' Jack Thompson gets a loada this hehe"

Tbh I'm not sure what's more pathetic, their sad little attempts to remain "controversial" or suddenly pretending that isn't everything they were about for two and a half decades
Old 30-07-22, 21:40   #235
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
If you think they arent complaining about the female character you clearly arent reading the same reddit threads as I did.
I didn't say they weren't complaining, I was saying that the female character isn't the entire baseline of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
The very idea of a direction like this is the definition of
"pulling the ladder up behind you"

Since it was created Grand Theft Auto has thrived on and been defined by being offensive and controversial. And GTA5 was no exception. That pathetic scene where you're made to torture that arabic guy who screams and cries for his children reaked of

"see we're still edgy bois...we're still hip, wait til' Jack Thompson gets a loada this hehe"

Tbh I'm not sure what's more pathetic, their sad little attempts to remain "controversial" or suddenly pretending that isn't everything they were about for two and a half decades
Exactly and they expect people to take them.and their new found moralism seriously.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 30-07-22 at 21:41.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 21:48   #236
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Yeah.

GTA 3 even had a parody of Donald Trump named "DONALD LOVE".

And it's really funny that in Liberty City stories, you had a mission where you had to steal some "votes" for him to win some election which is kinda funny.

Catalina kinda fitted to be a GTA protagonist.(GTA protagonists should be that mentally unstable that they can just kill innocent pedestrians for the heck of it)
Has it ever been confirmed that Donald Love is a parody of Trump? This is the first I've heard that Donald Love is a parody of Trump, Trump wasn't as well known back then as he is today I never heard of Trump until he decided to run for president.

The only time I saw Trump prior to his announcing that he was running for president was his cameo in Home Alone 2 I didn't know that was him at the time, it wasn't until he decided to run for president that it became known that he was in Home Alone 2.

The steal votes mission in LCS is nothing more than coincidence and precedes Trump running for president by 12 years, they are unrelated.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 23:52   #237
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Tony View Post
None of these things are woke, although tbf the word has kind of lost all meaning these days.

I think the concern is that they stop taking the piss out of everybody, which is what they've always done, and only go after "acceptable "targets and steer clear of taboo subjects.
To me 'woke' and the way People talk about it in media is all about intent and realisation. Inclusion and diversity themselves are far from being 'woke'. The intent behind characters and the writing behind storyline etc. You can, in my opinion, often tell when people are doing things to make a point rather than to just actually tell a good story or make a.good character. It's no where near as prevalent as people make out, but I have witnessed it on occasion.

Last edited by jajay119; 30-07-22 at 23:54.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote