www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-07-20, 07:18   #1
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 2,167
Default Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) what could be ...

I have found some concepts art from the first movie. It turns out that the first movie was going to have 3 tombs!

1 Tomb: China.

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36181.html

Lara arriving in China by motorcycle

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36024.html

Lara would face a large statue of the Buddha

2 Tomb: Siberia

https://www.yourprops.com/copy-artwo...1-YP37270.html

The tombs in siberia would be frozen ships

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36178.html

3 Tomb: Venecia

An underground tomb reminiscent of the Greek levels of TR1. The planetarium was in a kind of amphitheater.

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36179.html

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36180.html

https://www.yourprops.com/Concept-ar...1-YP36175.html


What happened then?

All this was changed in the production of the movie. China did not allow filming the movie and they switched to Cambodia.

Also (I imagine that in order for the movie to be shorter) they decided to join the last two tomb. Turning two magnificent temples into a Disneyland attraction in that temple in Siberia that we saw.

I think the original ideas were better. I think the planetarium in Venice would have been great and would have made more sense in an environment of the ancient Roman culture.

The blame for the changes was on Simon West.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 23-07-20 at 07:26.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 07:35   #2
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 3,812
Default

So I have talked with a lot of screenwriter about that but apparently China was scrapped because this was too expensive to shoot and the great wall offered only one big visual element. They could've tried to made the Great Wall in Scotland but that part was supposed to be shoot in Winter wich doesn't rejoice Simon.

The second Tomb in Venice was scrapped because Paramount didn't wanted (since the first day they received the franchise from Core and Eidos) to invest that much in the movie. Also according to some storyboards I have seen the planetarium was supposed to be underwater.

The third part with the boat in Siberia wasn't an actual tomb but a place where Lara and Powell were supposed to first after a race in sleight at the end of the movie.

The real persons to blame are the Paramount
__________________
There's no one "real" Lara Croft ^^

Last edited by Ellioft; 23-07-20 at 07:39.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 07:38   #3
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 2,167
Default

It's sad. I think the concepts looked great and the tombs would have been better. I always hated the planetarium's tomb. It didn't make sense and it was too much of a fairground attraction. But as a Roman Tomb it looked great. TR 1 vibes.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 23-07-20 at 07:39.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 07:42   #4
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
It's sad. I think the concepts looked great and the tombs would have been better. I always hated the planetarium's tomb. It didn't make sense and it was too much of a fairground attraction. But as a Roman Tomb it looked great. TR 1 vibes.
That's always the same story with concept art in medias the look amazing. But the final didn't translate that much.

Yeah the planetarium is only that a planetarium.
__________________
There's no one "real" Lara Croft ^^
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 08:31   #5
Trenton
Tomb Raider
 
Trenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St.Francis' Folly Gender: Male
Posts: 19,187
Default

These are great to see. Thanks for posting!

The TR2 vibes with China and the great wall could have been awesome. They clearly liked the idea of Lara motorcycle riding the Great Wall enough that they brought it back for CoL. I quite like the Cambodia location we ended up with though. But still it would have been nice to see how the China sequence would have turned out.

Frozen ships in Siberia gives ROTTR vibes.
Interestingly this was done in the National Treasure film a few years after the first TR.

And yeah the underground tomb in Venice really gives off some strong TR1 vibes for sure. Too bad we never got to see that one.


BTW does anyone know if there exists any early drafts of the screenplay out there that contains some of these sequences?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
That's always the same story with concept art in medias the look amazing. But the final didn't translate that much.
Yeah itís always like that with concept art unfortunately.
__________________
Lud's Gate = masterpiece level
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 08:55   #6
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
BTW does anyone know if there exists any early drafts of the screenplay out there that contains some of these sequences?
Ellioft is definitely the guy for you, here
__________________
#WearA*******Mask
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 09:40   #7
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Ellioft is definitely the guy for you, here
Ahaha you're too kind

Well I have various previous scripts from this movie

The one written by Brian Friedman who takes place in South America and Lara is looking for Eldorado

The second one is a Steven De Souza draft who was strange some of the sequences have been copy and paste for the beggining of the Cradle of Life. Lara is searching for the great Library and Alexander the Great knowledge.

The third one is written by Patrick Masset and John Zinman and make Lara searching for the shield of Achille all around the globe.

The fourth one is written by Michael Colleary and Mike Werb and it's basically the same story but in a lighter tone. This script was originally approved by the Paramount and greenlighted by Eidos.

The five one is the screenplay for the LC TR movie written by Patrick Masset/John Zinman/Simon West with revisions from Laeta Kalogridis and I have two version of them they are almost the same but one have reduced the interactions between Hillary and Bryce. The have more moments when Lara and Bryce explain their process to find the Cambodia temple, a new climax who's taken place on a ship, a new first between Powell and Lara across the timelines when Lara was young. All the deleted scenes are also there. Most importantly a crucial scene when Richard explain to young Lara the whole Illuminati/Triangle of the light story wich doesn't appear in the movie and was scapped because of budget.

But unfortunately I can't share for the moment any of this scripts with you or anyone because my website is in re build with a modern structure. But once it's done all the scripts will be available for free for all

I didn't find any script that take place in China but I know Lara was supposed to battle the Terra Cota army.

unfortunately. Also there's one written by Sarah B Charno
at the same time as the one written by Friedman (the two where chosen by the Paramount and the best one was supposed to be the final screenwriter but that was scrapped) when I only have the informations about that it was supposed to be : The first one was about the planetary alignment and an ancien evil Lara was supposed to defeat and the second one was about the Babylon gardens. Also there's one with Lara beeing pregnant with an alien baby but we don't know who was written that.
__________________
There's no one "real" Lara Croft ^^

Last edited by Ellioft; 23-07-20 at 09:46.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 09:50   #8
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider
 
Tonyrobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Devil's Pit
Posts: 19,966
Default

Let's not forget the infamous scene in an earlier script where Lara is tied up and has no weapons and has to crush spiders under her breasts.
__________________
Does anybody really read these?!
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 10:04   #9
Ellioft
Professor
 
Ellioft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: France
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Let's not forget the infamous scene in an earlier script where Lara is tied up and has no weapons and has to crush spiders under her breasts.
I think it's giants centipedes (so yirkkks) but it's only one who infiltrate under her shirt. But other than this scene this script is my favorite it's the one written by Colleary and Werb who were big fans of the game. Sure sometimes it's cheesy but fun.

They have understand the problem with Paramount who didn't know what kind of movie to make not too Indiana Jones and not James Bond.
__________________
There's no one "real" Lara Croft ^^
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-20, 10:37   #10
Trenton
Tomb Raider
 
Trenton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: St.Francis' Folly Gender: Male
Posts: 19,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
The one written by Brian Friedman who takes place in South America and Lara is looking for Eldorado

The second one is a Steven De Souza draft who was strange some of the sequences have been copy and paste for the beggining of the Cradle of Life. Lara is searching for the great Library and Alexander the Great knowledge.

The third one is written by Patrick Masset and John Zinman and make Lara searching for the shield of Achille all around the globe.

The fourth one is written by Michael Colleary and Mike Werb and it's basically the same story but in a lighter tone. This script was originally approved by the Paramount and greenlighted by Eidos.

The five one is the screenplay for the LC TR movie written by Patrick Masset/John Zinman/Simon West with revisions from Laeta Kalogridis and I have two version of them they are almost the same but one have reduced the interactions between Hillary and Bryce. The have more moments when Lara and Bryce explain their process to find the Cambodia temple, a new climax who's taken place on a ship, a new first between Powell and Lara across the timelines when Lara was young. All the deleted scenes are also there. Most importantly a crucial scene when Richard explain to young Lara the whole Illuminati/Triangle of the light story wich doesn't appear in the movie and was scapped because of budget.

But unfortunately I can't share for the moment any of this scripts with you or anyone because my website is in re build with a modern structure. But once it's done all the scripts will be available for free for all

I didn't find any script that take place in China but I know Lara was supposed to battle the Terra Cota army.

unfortunately. Also there's one written by Sarah B Charno
at the same time as the one written by Friedman (the two where chosen by the Paramount and the best one was supposed to be the final screenwriter but that was scrapped) when I only have the informations about that it was supposed to be : The first one was about the planetary alignment and an ancien evil Lara was supposed to defeat and the second one was about the Babylon gardens. Also there's one with Lara beeing pregnant with an alien baby but we don't know who was written that.
Thank you for this insight Ellioft.

Interesting to see some initial ideas that ended up in the films in different forms. Like using the Alexander the Great in CoL and also featuring terra cotta statues in the Shay Ling hideout, although not battling them (The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor stole that idea ).

Good thing they didnít use the one where Lara is pregnant with an alien baby though. The writer must have been a fan of the Alien films or something.

Iíd love to read these scripts when you get your website up.
__________________
Lud's Gate = masterpiece level
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.