www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 26-01-20, 15:27   #15631
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
I love Alicia! Hopefully she will continue to be Lara Croft for many years!

I am simply objective. The new Lara is less iconic than anything (Nobody dresses up as the new Lara on Halloween! because is just a normal girl). And I simply give my opinion analyzing things. I wish things were better for TR but I think that if there is no delay in either of the two films, TR will be the one harmed. Just saying!
Maybe they didn't dressed like her but I can say there's a lot of peoples nowadays wearing a green throuser or a black perfecto like Alicia,same for the style of the back pack (wich is a torture for me because I don't find the same style as Alicia so if you know where to find it I will be interested ).

LC TR have iconised for 5min straight the black outfit with a lot of zoom on the shorts etc and that something the first movie have lacked an iconisation of the outfit (but they have iconised the weapons) but that wasn't I guess the point because Lara wasn't an adventurer.

The motorbike scene could have iconised Alicia in my opinion.

Last edited by Ellioft; 26-01-20 at 15:32.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 15:50   #15632
iWANEX
Golden

I don't think you guys should take what PinkyPromise says seriously. He omitted parts of the "no dinosaurs, shorts" extract from Hobby Consolas to make it a bigger deal that it was. And remember he was the one who said TR2018 would never get a sequel. His opinions are questionable at best.

And by the way, they will never market the Uncharted movie as "the game that sells more than TR", mainly because Uncharted still needs to dream to reach TRs overall numbers.

Also, Tom Holland is a big star? Yeah, in the MCU. Outside? Nobody cares. Most actors are struggling outside of the MCU these days. Robert Downey with Dr Dolittle? Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thomson with MIB? How many people do you think are excited to see Onward? A Pixar movie with Chris Pratt and Tom as male leads. How many people saw Spies in Disguise with him and Will Smith? And Mark Ruffalo's Dark Waters? Literally the only person who is doing fine outside of the MCU is ScarJo and that's because she's already an established actor. Chris Evans could count but his last big hit was Knives Out and it's more of an ensemble movie.

Mark Wahlberg would be a bigger draw than Tom is, tbf. But none of that matters when nobody wants to see young Nathan Drake. Not even the fans of the games support this. Literally nobody wants this. I don't know what Sony is thinking when it's so easy to see that people would prefer to see adult Nathan and the rest of the cast. But maybe Sony is afraid that it would be too similar to TR and Indiana Jones and people would start noticing how unoriginal that franchise really is.

Last edited by iWANEX; 26-01-20 at 15:57.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 16:29   #15633
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Uncharted will hurt Tomb Raider. I love the enthusiasm and personal opinions but they sell to literally the same audience. Simply put: one or the other will move release dates the real question is who. Like one of them will move. Either uncharted will chicken out or TR2 will move. That’s why with first trailers they never give solid release dates at the end they just say “coming next year”

Dwayne Johnson thankfully got Disney to move Jungle Cruise SIX months so it wouldn’t hurt Jumanji 3.

What’s also hilarious is it sounds like many of you don’t go to the cinema that often I’m guessing maybe once a month tops which is also the behavior of other cinema goers in fact some only go a few times a year (too expensive, don’t like going alone etc) you want to be the first movie out!

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 26-01-20 at 16:31.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 17:00   #15634
TrustyBow
Professor

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/mgm-...n-targets.html

Looks like MGMs in talks with Netflixs and Apple to set up a streaming agreement. If the film gets delayed, I wouldn't be surprised if it premiered on Netflix.
Old 26-01-20, 17:33   #15635
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

I like how you people even assume that Uncharted will even keep that March 2021 release date. Honestly I would be surprised if it even comes out in 2021, considering Tom Holland's schedule and that the film doesn't even have a direct yet...

And to tell the truth, I think you are all either overthinking or underthinking the effect Uncharted will have. Because it will obviously effect Tomb Raider: they both Indiana Jones like Adventure movies based on popular videogame franchises. And the one who comes first will be at an advantage, especially if reviews are good (which, quite frankly, I see the scales tip more in favour to Tomb Raider in that regard, development hell is almost never good for movies).

But, and this is a very big but, do you really think that audiences will be that so much interested in Uncharted that it will absolutely kill any other movies that comes up at the same time? Honestly, I don't think so, especially considering Tomb Raider as a franchise is also better known to the general audience and it had a quite good audience internationally, an audience that considering the creative talent they hired is the one they are tailoring the sequel to. And the sequel is most definitely going for more mid-tier budget, let's not forget: it's only MGM now. It's easier to make money that way.

What I am saying is: yes, if Uncharted does come out on March 2021 it will affect Tomb Raider's BO, but not so much that will be an absolute disaster. Not even "disappointing", really. Lower than it could be, sure, but not so low that we can say goodbye to even more Tomb Raider movies for a long time.

Also, Pinky, your going back to 2018's "the movie won't even make 100M worldwide" Pinky. That Pinky was always dead wrong with their predictions, remember that.
Old 26-01-20, 19:44   #15636
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I'm not so much worried about that date now considering Spider Man is filming in July. The film has no director, the last one dropped out and they need to renegotiate a deal with a new director. The film hitting March has not got a chance of happening unless they film this year and with Spider Man taking up July-November there's very little chance of this happening.
Old 26-01-20, 20:01   #15637
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post

Also, Pinky, your going back to 2018's "the movie won't even make 100M worldwide" Pinky. That Pinky was always dead wrong with their predictions, remember that.
That is false. I have never said that. I said that TR 2018 would not do 100M in the USA and I got it right. I never said 100M WW ...

Quote:
'm not so much worried about that date now considering Spider Man is filming in July. The film has no director, the last one dropped out and they need to renegotiate a deal with a new director. The film hitting March has not got a chance of happening unless they film this year and with Spider Man taking up July-November there's very little chance of this happening.
The director of Zombieland is now the new director. As I explained, Uncharted was in preproduction with locations, script, art ... everything finished. They will do something on the calendar so Tom can film.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 26-01-20 at 20:02.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 20:23   #15638
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

They haven't negotiated a final deal yet with the proposed new director. If the deal is done quick and Sony get Uncharted rolling by March then it's possible but if they do not get it filmed before July I do think it's unlikely we will see it in cinemas in time. They could also delay Spider-Men but with it being a co-production with Marvel Studios I don't see that happening.

I think it's such a dick move of Sony to open a week or two before Tomb Raider. I also think it will be more successful in the USA than Tomb Raider will be based on the audience pull but I don't think it will be better critically with the amount of trouble the production has had.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 26-01-20 at 20:25.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 20:33   #15639
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
That is false. I have never said that. I said that TR 2018 would not do 100M in the USA and I got it right. I never said 100M WW ...
Fine, I exaggerated. But I can show you your "the movie won't make 200M worldwide" posts if you want...
Old 26-01-20, 20:56   #15640
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Fine, I exaggerated. But I can show you your "the movie won't make 200M worldwide" posts if you want...
Yep I remember that. Even I said that.

And I was dead wrong, and I’m proud to admit it haha