www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 18-05-20, 20:27   #21
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
I agree there. I think the animations in Legend (which were brought over to Anniversary for the most part) were more than sufficient also, and I totally wouldn’t have minded if they’d recycled them for Underworld.
Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary have arguably the best animations in the whole franchise.
Old 25-09-20, 14:28   #22
ANoDE
Golden

So ... I've been continuing my TR:U playthough, and I've realized, that despite all the flaws this game has - it does one thing right: It looks absolutely amazing! Currently (still) in the Thailand section, and I'm falling in love all over again (again). The lush jungle environments look absolutely stunning - the gigantic Thor statue room is a beautiful setpiece (and you can actually interact with it), and the water is ... beautiful.
Old 25-09-20, 14:31   #23
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
TRU looks amazing even today. But the gameplay is kinda stiff. Animations and such. Especially if you played TRA and then jumped into TRU right after.
Very true.

Despite being a terribly repetitive game, Anniversary has some of the best CrystalD animations in the series.
Old 25-09-20, 15:15   #24
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Definitely Underworld's biggest strength is graphics . They looked stunning back then and still do , the attention to detail was very good .
Old 26-09-20, 22:07   #25
Mek
Historian

I agree with your opinions on the graphics in Underworld. I replayed some levels last month and I think that its graphics still look stunning even when compared to current games. I would argue that some locations have much better design than those in Tomb Raiders after Underworld.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 00:14   #26
ANoDE
Golden

Just a few shots from my latest playthrough.
Old 27-09-20, 11:07   #27
LNSNHGTDS
Relic Hunter

Underworld truly wasn't such a terrible game. And yeah it looks gorgeous. Thailand I think is the most beautiful Tomb Raider level in herstory.
Old 27-09-20, 16:36   #28
ATombRaiderFan
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Just a few shots from my latest playthrough.
Stunning screenshots Such an underrated game.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-20, 16:59   #29
mepsipax
Archaeologist

Now, looking at Underworld, I feel it looks a lot more recent than it is. A lot of other 2008 or so games were still looking plasticky, or like they're covered in wax.. or they overuse bloom, which I really can't stand.

It could have easily come towards the end of the generation's life cycle. I do think however, it's not really because of the tech or anything, it's just a really well designed game. At times it's SUPER colourful, and even the more monochromatic levels have pops of colour to provide contrast.

Another game from roughly the same time I think aged well (visually... ) is Resident Evil 5. Vivid at least the beginning, bold design, good contrasts.

Like, on the flipside, I think TR13 has not aged well particularly.
Old 28-09-20, 07:38   #30
Purcell91
Hobbyist

While i agree this game looks amazing it was such a let down compared to Legend and Anniversary. Legend revamped an a game that was becoming outdated at its time, Anniversary built upon that reintroducing us to what started it all in a fun new remake.

Then came along Underworld with its beautiful graphics and more of the best lara voice actress IMO Camilla Luddington. Ultimately though the game was very buggy on ps3 and even worse on ps2, i can't speak for Xbox or PC players but these bugs took me out of the immersion of the game and bar levels in Mexico and Thailand it was really just a forgettable experience. It would probably get in my top 10 TR games but only just.
Purcell91 is offline   Reply With Quote