www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > DXTRE3D Level Editor

Old 07-10-20, 13:42   #1
thewolf
Golden

Default Dxtre3d era came to an End??

Hey guys,

I heard rumors that Tomb Editor is now able to create TR1-3 levels. I'm really happy that the TE-Developer-Team made this choice. Now building levels for those classic engines will be a lot easier with less problems than before.

As for Dxtre3d it seems like it's 20 years era came now to an end. There won't be many builders left now who will still use this old editor. Most of the builders will switch to TE.

It was and still is a great editor till up today. Sadly Dxtre3d didn't get anymore any updates.
With a few more updates the editor could've been improved.... but I think the time has come to say goodbye to Dxtre3d.

A huge thanks to Turbo Pascal who made this editor back in the day

Turbo Pascal and Dxtre3d, both of you will never be forgotten.

Thanks for everything , you will be remembered
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 16:11   #2
LaraCablara
Professor

I read that the creator of Tomb Editor took inspiration from DXTRE3Dís features and interface so in that sense it will continue to live on
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 17:41   #3
SSJ6Wolf
Archaeologist

I had some good times with Dxtre3d back in the day, building for TR3 and TR5. I remember how much easier it felt to apply textures without distorting them, and I liked the interesting method of creating stacked triggers by highlighting several objects at once before applying the trigger. There were some flaws too (such as collision issues near the portals of stacked rooms), but back then it was kind of a breath of fresh air that helped change things up.
SSJ6Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 18:52   #4
Danath
Archaeologist

Cool

Thewolf! Glad to see you again here, i hope you are doing alright!

Yes, i think it's maybe time to write our "F's" in the chat for Dxtre3D, it's only natural that people will want to adopt a much more modern editor with enhanced capabilities. I'm also thinking of trying it when i finish my current project, but i don't know where i'll go after that.
I'm having a blast texturing with Dxtre for TR2 now that the tex limit is a thing of the past, so in a sense i'm using its full potential to make something great with it before moving on, and show what it's capable of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
A huge thanks to Turbo Pascal who made this editor back in the day
Turbo Pascal and Dxtre3d, both of you will never be forgotten.
Thanks for everything , you will be remembered
Yes indeed, thanks Turbo for everything. o7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
I read that the creator of Tomb Editor took inspiration from DXTRE3Dís features and interface so in that sense it will continue to live on
Yeah that is so nice, for all of us that have been using Dxtre switching will be a lot easier.
Old 07-10-20, 19:53   #5
DaroRaider
Historian

Cool

TheWolf, the deutscher wolf is here!
You know, I'm also finishing mein project and don't know what do as a next step. I was watching some streamings of guys using TE and yes.. it works like a charm
Even not knowing a lot, just watching the streams TE is very intuitive. But I have a deep feeling for both TPascal and Dxtre3d.
Hope you are fine TheWolf and visit us more oftenly!
Old 08-10-20, 14:40   #6
Topixtor
Historian

I have an unhealthy amount of projects started with DxTre3d so I will definitely use it for some time but yeah, I tried Tomb Editor and, aside from having many more new functions even for older engines at a virtual cost of nothing, it's so much smoother and stable, just for the fact that I could FINALLY place lights freely without crashing issues in TR2 is worth to learn and switch.

Dxtre3d had one big advantage: easy to pick up and self-learn. I like how some parts of the UI got renewed for Tomb Editor The legacy will live on!
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 16:57   #7
Feder
Historian

Dxtre3d still has the BEST trigger system I've ever seen select multiple objects and with 1 click, you have your entire trigger set wherever you want.
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 20:19   #8
Danath
Archaeologist

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
just for the fact that I could FINALLY place lights freely without crashing issues in TR2 is worth to learn and switch.
Wait, really?? So it is a Dxtre issue after all! No wonder it went unnoticed until i started tinkering with lights on my first level...
So happy to read that light crashes are solved in TE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topixtor View Post
I like how some parts of the UI got renewed for Tomb Editor The legacy will live on!
True! It will still feel like home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
Dxtre3d still has the BEST trigger system I've ever seen select multiple objects and with 1 click, you have your entire trigger set wherever you want.
Hear, hear! By now i am so used to selecting multiple objects for instantly adding them to trigger actions. It will feel very weird when switching.
Old 09-10-20, 22:00   #9
Lwmte
Archaeologist

I agree (one more time) on that dxtre3d has the ONLY trigger placement system which makes sense and doesn't hack your head. One trigger - one set of parameters - a list of multiple actions. Nice, clean and self-descriptive. Now try to do the same thing in TRLE/NGLE/TE - fail...

Since 1.3.6 there is of course "primary" trigger highlight, but still it can be confusing that every trigger you select still have 1-5 flags and oneshot flag, which of course won't work if selected trigger is not primary one.

Back on topic - yes, I think that with TE now supporting all engines, and having much more effective texture and mesh packer, as well as consistent and authentic light and pathfinding models and sprite support for TR1-2, you can create better and more authentic levels than with dxtre3d. dxtre3d had its time, but it's been more than 10 years since the last update. TE was made as a successor to both winroomedit and dxtre3d, so we can be grateful to TPascal for making it possible.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-20, 22:29   #10
Topixtor
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Wait, really?? So it is a Dxtre issue after all! No wonder it went unnoticed until i started tinkering with lights on my first level...
So happy to read that light crashes are solved in TE!
I'm not sure tbh but I'm fairly certain it doesn't happen with TE (otherwise it would have already been reported and fixed)
Topixtor is offline   Reply With Quote