Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 18-11-19, 14:34   #28751
LateRaider
Inactive

My problem with paititi is that right now there's so much to do. I have to talk to all the locals, do the challenges, collect as much as I can. I'm honestly wondering if I shouldn't just try to talk to people and do the side missions and save everything else for right before the final battle. I'm honestly wondering how I got 100% in it twice
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:06   #28752
Vaskito

One of the things that made me fall in love with Paititi, the second playthrough (and yes, I still think it took to much and breaks the pace), was just going through it with the intent of exploring and paying attention to the many details added into it - both visual, but also the conversations and stories from the people in it - instead of just going to completion purposes.

IMO, no matter the impact it had in the story, the city is a work of art that deserves appreciation. I love to roam around it for its visuals alone. It almost feels like real life in some parts, it's incredible and visually stunning. For it to be perfect, it would be to have a day/night cycle, and to be more randomized in NPCs actions and conversations but I understand that would be a huge demand from a technical point of view
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:15   #28753
laracroftswest

Paititi at night would've been awesome. With little to no NPCs around, it'd be eerie almost to play in such a large area with no one around.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:26   #28754
Blackmoor

I like Paititi and think it's quite a technicological achievement, I never got the dislike really apart from Lara doing quests for the inhabitants (which I find wrong in a TR game), but I still would have preferred an enormous empty ruined city. One that was ancient, overgrown and not typical ruins, one that we genuinely had to explore to understand and find the meaning of.

And if Lara runs into tribes and cultures completely isolated from the rest of the world, I think they could have better represented what would likely have happened. In the real world often what happens is conflict - people get killed as these tribes see the person as unwanted and invading.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:28   #28755
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
And if Lara runs into tribes and cultures completely isolated from the rest of the world, I think they could have better represented what would likely have happened. In the real world often what happens is conflict - people get killed as these tribes see the person as unwanted and invading.
But this was what was going to happen to Lara, both in ROTTR and SOTTR. She just didn't get killed for invading, because their leaders told them not to after she earned their trust.
Old 18-11-19, 15:33   #28756
Blackmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
But this was what was going to happen to Lara, both in ROTTR and SOTTR. She just didn't get killed for invading, because their leaders told them not to after she earned their trust.
It happened too easily that she made friends. That's not what happens typically in the real world, you either escape or die. That's a better way to play it out instead of Lara becoming friends after mere minutes of first coming into contact with the tribes.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 15:42   #28757
Vaskito

Quote:
It happened too easily that she made friends. That's not what happens typically in the real world, you either escape or die. That's a better way to play it out instead of Lara becoming friends after mere minutes of first coming into contact with the tribes.
I get what you mean - but the plot needs to be considered. She was meant to reach those places in the game story. How she does it, there's a million different possibilities that we could come up with
Old 18-11-19, 17:27   #28758
OrangeJuice

Quote:
IMO, no matter the impact it had in the story, the city is a work of art that deserves appreciation. I love to roam around it for its visuals alone. It almost feels like real life in some parts, it's incredible and visually stunning.
This is true. Technically speaking it is a huge achievement.

Quote:
but I still would have preferred an enormous empty ruined city. One that was ancient, overgrown and not typical ruins, one that we genuinely had to explore to understand and find the meaning of.
I would've loved this so much. Imagine the sense of isolation you could get from that.

Quote:
I get what you mean - but the plot needs to be considered. She was meant to reach those places in the game story. How she does it, there's a million different possibilities that we could come up with
and so many better ones than what we got. it takes lara literally 4-5 mins to gain their trust, and they dont question it ever again afterwards. plus she's not even surprised they speak perfect english. i totally see compromises have to be made, but in this case it's just lazy writing.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 18:09   #28759
Pi4oran

Guys have you experienced this? Today I was running around Paiteeteeh and equipped the grey henley and noticed that whenever Lara jumps she would shout much louder and fiercer, rather than saying they usual "hop". She was literally screaming like she was jumping across a huge chasm "aaaargh" and there were multiple variations of it. I thought it was a new addition with update 2.0 but no when I changed outfits it went back to normal and I couldn't replicate it anymore. It was very cool believe me. Turns out to be another bug though

Edit: found a video on YouTube https://youtu.be/1H3JL7j21eM

Bonus: if you fast travel to Cenote Climb and start climbing the first wall with your axes and drop down into the pond below the camera will debug and will keep a low position and will stay in 3rd person even when you equip weapons or use the camp fire

Last edited by Pi4oran; 18-11-19 at 19:14.
Pi4oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-19, 18:38   #28760
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
I like Paititi and think it's quite a technicological achievement, I never got the dislike really apart from Lara doing quests for the inhabitants (which I find wrong in a TR game), but I still would have preferred an enormous empty ruined city. One that was ancient, overgrown and not typical ruins, one that we genuinely had to explore to understand and find the meaning of.

I feel like you kinda answered your own question. I think a lot of people actually wanted a true Tomb Raider location and something more along the lines of what you described. I don't necessarily dislike the social aspect they were going for, but I think it works better on a smaller scale. I don't mind smaller social hubs, such as Kuwaq Yaku, as they're balanced out by the surrounding area, which is full of tombs and exploration. Paititi on the other hand is sadly not counterbalanced by it's surrounding areas and it's almost entirely a social hub. It ends up feeling like you're playing a RPG game rather than a Tomb Raider game. Plus, like you said Paititi lacks a sense of discovery and mystery. We can see how everything works etc. and because of that it isn't a particularly thought provoking. Then as others have said the pacing of the game was absolutely perfect up until this point and Paititi just throws it out the window.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 18-11-19 at 18:39.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote