Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 19-03-20, 13:32   #11
Tomb Raidering

I’m only going to talk about Legend and Anniversary because I don’t consider Underworld canon whatsoever (I think it as a whole, optional DLC).

Lara
Both Legend Lara and Anniversary Lara had great personalities. Whilst the former was mature and cheeky, the latter was serious and fragile. I liked both representations, and it really felt like Anni Lara grew up into Legend Lara. As for the looks, I slightly prefer Anni Lara. She was pure beauty.

Gameplay
The combat, the platforming, the puzzles, the cutscenes, the traversal... Everything was satisfying in LA. Everything made sense, and there weren’t obnoxious, illogical puzzles thrown at you every second (looking at you, TRIII and TRIV). Croft Manor was a masterpiece, especially Anniversary’s one. The optional outfits, chapter replay, cutscene replay, and the secret system are all bonuses.

Story
Putting aside the parents drama, the LA storyline is one of the best storylines we’ve ever got from TR (1st place being AoD, of course). I loved the Arthurian lore, it fit Tomb Raider just right. Amanda, Anaya, Zip, Winston, Takamoto, LA Larson, LA Pierre and LA Natla were all memorable characters with suiting personalities. I liked Legend’s lighthearted tone and found Anniversary’s mid-serious tone OK. The Underworld DLC took itself way too seriously. Too bad we’ll never get Legend II or Anniversary II.

OST
The best after AoD. I love how Troels sprinkled in the Classic theme throughout the OST. They’re are memorable and magical. Mission Summary, Bolivia Redux, Centuars’ Theme, Poseidon’s Theme, Torso Boss Theme, Greece Cinematics 1 and Japan 9A comes to mind. The Anniversary Main Theme is a masterpiece. Period. Well, God of Thunder from the Underworld DLC must also get a mention, so catchy!
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-20, 22:09   #12
krycekuva

voice actor for sure... lara and natla were hands down the best they ever sounded...

an overall myth...
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-20, 15:49   #13
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
This may be controversial but I think Anniversary had the best secret system out of any of the other TR games.
Not controversial to me at all because I agree.

TRU did a fantastic job with scale and environment. Places looked lost, forgotten and forboding. I loved climbing the tower and riding a giant hammer rivals any moment in TR IMO.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-20, 17:06   #14
Ashnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Not controversial to me at all because I agree.

TRU did a fantastic job with scale and environment. Places looked lost, forgotten and forboding. I loved climbing the tower and riding a giant hammer rivals any moment in TR IMO.
I loved that moment.

TRU had many of them, at least for me. I loved, for example, the underwater section that preceded the Helheim level. The massive chain for the gate, the statues holding swords to pin the chains in place. All of that looked like something forgotten and ancient, almost Tolkien in its scale.

Last edited by Ashnod; 22-03-20 at 14:30.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-20, 04:14   #15
BlueCake
Inactive

I think i've mentioned this already, but Legend and Anniversary's secret system is superb, i absolutely adored unlocking new outfits.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 14:35   #16
dcw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCake View Post
I think i've mentioned this already, but Legend and Anniversary's secret system is superb, i absolutely adored unlocking new outfits.
This.. it gave you incentive to find them - unlike the reboot games.

I also miss how the LAU series was fun and mega replayable overall.. Thats whats missing in the newer games. They take themselves too seriously the entire time and its tiring after 3 games LOL
Need a sense of fun - Uncharted manages in its calmer moments.. why can't TR
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 22:12   #17
JimbobJeffers

Wow a thread on TRF actually praising LAU?

Gotta agree with everything shared above. Keeley Hawes will always be the voice I associate with Lara. And while the gameplay may not be anything particularly stellar when compared to other games of the same genre, LAU games were always easy going comfort games for me, as opposed to the puzzling classic games or the emotionally intense reboot ones
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 22:51   #18
Cat Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post

Yes, love the scale and environment as I play through the game (I’ve played it a long time ago) again on a different platform. Cannot wait for the tower and the hammer. Having fun w/this TRU play through.

P.S. eased the frustrations on those timed platforms (still not completed) near the end of TRA.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 01:14   #19
New Dwight
Inactive

Such flip flop nowadays with threads like these.
Petition to bring back classic Lara! No, they want LAU Lara, nope reboot Lara can stay.
No LAU is better the classic wtf, I'm done.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 11:26   #20
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
Such flip flop nowadays with threads like these.
Petition to bring back classic Lara! No, they want LAU Lara, nope reboot Lara can stay.
No LAU is better the classic wtf, I'm done.
Since when it's a war ? LAU has certainly less fans than other eras so this thread is somehow to showcase some love about the era. There is literally nothing against Classic Lara and this petition, that I support as well. I want remasters !!
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote