Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-03-21, 13:35   #841
Moon-Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
For the type of remake that I'd want, personally, it'd have to be a pretty literal interpretation. The problem is that the details of the classic outfit (in terms of cut and color) are anything but consistent, so...

The most important thing to me, by far, is the color story. My favorite is probably the way Joe Jusko drew Lara for Top Cow:

If we assume that Lara has auburn hair and a dark tan, this combo of deep teal and olive drab, along with the chocolate brown color of the boots and backpack to tie everything together - it's just really nice, in my opinion.

All I'm missing are the red bootlaces, but that's literally it. This is peak Lara Croft to me, otherwise. It's the closest that any rendering has come to doing her actual in-game appearance any justice, brassy gold buckle and all.

It has all the flavor you want to be able to recognize the character, but it doesn't look like an outfit that was put together by a stylist.

Now, I happen to prefer this crop top variant of the classic outfit, that we often saw in the comics - but you could give her a leotard for accuracy, sure. I'm not too picky about that.

I do think the scoop neck helps it not look so costume-y though, regardless of how much ab coverage we're getting...
This post warms my heart. Somebody gets it. It's about vibrant colors that deliver a specific Lara flavor. I love that artwork. She's a bit hulky but at least her shape is still very "punched up" for effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
I’m not the biggest fan of this.
Of course not, because you're a feminist and hate other woman who have more than you. And that's how we wound up with reboot Lara, who has no money, no boobs, no accent, no personality. Perfectly non-offensive to the wamyn crowd.

Last edited by Moon-Safari; 24-03-21 at 13:39.
Moon-Safari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 14:08   #842
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
This one reminds me of that early concept art from back when Lara was still Laura Cruz.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 15:47   #843
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'd prefer a leotard with a higher neckline personally but otherwise I really like this as well. I do love the colour scheme here, I like how blue her top is and I also see what you're saying about going for more autumnal shades of the colour scheme to compliment Lara's complexion more. I'm really into wardrobe colour theory and I'm an "autumn" myself.
The issue I have with the classic outfit as seen in the LAU games (and even the FMV models in the classics), is that the backpack, boots and shorts are all, more or less, the same shade of brown.

In-game, in the classics, her shorts always skewed more olive drab, than brown, and I think that's important to break up the brown-and-teal, sort of monochromatic look that makes the outfit look more like a deliberate costume.

I also have a preference for the blue top, which, along the same lines, feels like a more natural color choice than green (or cyan, I guess). This particular shade still has some green in it, though, which I do think it needs.

(a brighter blue, like in the LC games, would again feel too stylized - this is more of a jewel tone)

If you think about it, it's really just the color scheme of the Tactical Adventurer outfit, or even the Next Generation outfit we saw back in 2000.

It's not strictly classic, but we all seem to intuitively agree that it's representative of the same idea, without being an "obvious" call-back.

I agree that the neckline on this particular drawing is a bit low though; I'd probably want this rather than this.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 18:47   #844
_Seth

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
This! And then Crystal turned it into a fine rib vest for TRA. Why? They already nailed the look in Legend and then they felt like "Nah, I think that Lara is actually just wearing colourful underwear."
Your opinion is wrong.
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-21, 20:20   #845
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Your opinion is wrong.
The "top" in the classics is supposed to be a leotard. The classic outfit in Legend has a leotard, which is what Lara is supposed to be wearing. Then they changed it to a tank top in TRA, which isn't what it's supposed to be in TR I. So how can I be wrong? It's as if someone would make a remake of any of the classics and give Lara a t-shirt for her default outfit. It's wrong and inaccurate.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote