www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 15-10-21, 12:50   #18971
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
"Iím hoping that we get on track and get to do something together."

Despite her enthusiasm, and Misha's by the sound of it, "Get on track" makes it sound like they're not on it yet. Is this thing still not green lit? This is what worries me. MGM are dragging their feet.
That could mean a lot of things, and it's not necessarily about MGM but it could also be Misha's plans on the film aren't fully done for now.
Old 15-10-21, 14:21   #18972
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

As much as it pains me to say a lot of people look at Tomb Raider through rose tinted glasses, domestic numbers are important for box office and the first film didn’t perform that well State side with its major competition from Black Panther, if it hadn’t of been for China the first film would have made losses in its profit, Sad but true.

Marketing costs also need to be recouped. For the most part it seems like MGM were quite happy with the first films performance and combined ancillary sales world wide, enough to warrant looking into a sequel.

I can see why the studios would play it coy when green lighting a sequel, there needs to be a demand for it and they need to make sure if this one is made then it’s going to be the type of film that is gonna get audiences to spend the price of admission for if they deem what Misha is doing with the film a disaster they’ll either replace her or shut down the project.

At this point from what we heard it’s still in active development. Misha is enthusiastic and Alicia is saying she is having meetings with Misha, also it appears that her filming schedule is wide open and she hasn’t really been announced for other projects, we can take these as positive signs. If next summer comes and there has been no movement on the project or the film is still undated then we should worry.
Old 15-10-21, 15:03   #18973
Rai

My concern doesn't come from wearing rose tinted glasses, it just comes from concern after all the uncertainty with Ben's version, so now the silence seems ominous.
Old 15-10-21, 15:08   #18974
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Sadly it's just a waiting game I have learned not to get too hopeful when it comes to certain niche films. I've been waiting for years for certain films.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 15-10-21 at 15:09.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-21, 15:29   #18975
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Hopefully the silence is coming "just" from them seeing how No Time To Die is actually performing, to see how MGM is able to manage any new problem.

But hopefully Tomb Raider 2 is more on a "how big can the budget be" position and less on a "can we actually make it" one. I do think it might be more of the first one, since TR2018 did quite well internationally, its streaming rights were singled as one of MGMs sourcers of revenue at least on their 2019 finantial reports, and WB is back on board for at least international distribution.

At least we have both Misha and Alicia still actively meeting to discuss the movie, and Misha seemed to talk about directing the movie as something she is still indeed planning to do a few weeks ago.

Besides, outside of Alicia being casted as Lara, and Roar and Geneva being the director and writer for the movie, we didn't have that much info about the movie until December 2016, when shooting locations and some other castings (I think only Walter Goggin's as Mathias, really) were confirmed. And the movie started shooting only a month later. We might have a similar situation regarding actual news again...
Old Yesterday, 06:16   #18976
Em20
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Sadly it's just a waiting game I have learned not to get too hopeful when it comes to certain niche films. I've been waiting for years for certain films.
I know how you feel, Ive waited eleven years for Scream 4, and eleven more for the 5th one
A few more years for a new TR movie with Alicia is worth the wait
Em20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:16   #18977
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

I think much of the wait for the new movie might be delayed like this due to the game itself and the unifying of timelines thing still being in the process of development and not finished.

They probably would want it tied more to the new timeline, and so no final decision will be made about the movie until the animated series and the new games are clear what direction are they going to adapt.