www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 16-10-21, 11:43   #201
_Seth
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
4:34 is a 3D modelled Jessica, who was deleted from TRU.

I never knew they got a modelling stage with her, but it makes sense that they'd use her as placeholder. Interesting that they had the idea of a kid tagging along again and scrapped it again.

I may be changing my opinion and now think that Ascension looks like it might have been better and "more TR" than what we got.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-21, 12:01   #202
biscuits
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
4:34 is a 3D modelled Jessica, who was deleted from TRU.

I never knew they got a modelling stage with her, but it makes sense that they'd use her as placeholder. Interesting that they had the idea of a kid tagging along again and scrapped it again.

I may be changing my opinion and now think that Ascension looks like it might have been better and "more TR" than what we got.
The platforming is more fleshed out and seems to provide more options.
Also I'd rather have cool looking monsters than generic goons with guns.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 04:12   #203
Avalon SARL
Relic Hunter

Judging by the video, it is Crystal clear that someone wanted the franchise to be a completely different game, with nothing to do with any of the classics or even LAU.

It would be amusing to see the look on his/her/their faces who ever were responsible for those stupid decisions now that they discovered that they messed up in a very terrible way that they can never scrap and wipe any of the classic elements from TR.

However, as a punishment, those people should not be allowed to have anything to do with the future games...

AAAaaaah, who am I kidding.
Prepare for far worse stuff to happen
Old 17-10-21, 10:07   #204
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

You'd think this month would be the most important and active and filled with content, announcements and other stuff given the series turns 25 in a week. Why is it suddenly so quiet with barely anything halfway past the month? AoD month won't be topped I fear, they had like 3 posts and videos per day back then of the game, and what could have been in that trilogy

Last edited by Athukraz; 17-10-21 at 10:08.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 13:36   #205
TR1249
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
You'd think this month would be the most important and active and filled with content, announcements and other stuff given the series turns 25 in a week. Why is it suddenly so quiet with barely anything halfway past the month? AoD month won't be topped I fear, they had like 3 posts and videos per day back then of the game, and what could have been in that trilogy
Neha is on vacation and Maegan and the other one probably deal with the Avengers community
Old 17-10-21, 13:38   #206
tlr online
Administrator

The other one is called Hunter.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-21, 14:45   #207
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Does anyone else think they'll show the original ending cutscene where Sam originally was supposed to die?

Don't know why everything has been slow this month as others have pointed out, they've barely shown anything and we're weeks into this month. Shame really, I was hoping to see lots of content shown since there's so much to discuss and see for this game.
Old 17-10-21, 14:50   #208
Jathom95
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Does anyone else think they'll show the original ending cutscene where Sam originally was supposed to die?

Don't know why everything has been slow this month as others have pointed out, they've barely shown anything and we're weeks into this month. Shame really, I was hoping to see lots of content shown since there's so much to discuss and see for this game.
I doubt it. That ending according to them was one "nobody liked" so they've probably just tried to sweep it under the rug like Shadow's original ending.

That was such a dumb choice too. Completely negates the point Roth makes about having to make sacrifices and not being able to save everyone.
Old 17-10-21, 15:40   #209
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
I doubt it. That ending according to them was one "nobody liked" so they've probably just tried to sweep it under the rug like Shadow's original ending.

That was such a dumb choice too. Completely negates the point Roth makes about having to make sacrifices and not being able to save everyone.
I've been thinking about this for a bit, and while I originally was all in favour of that original ending, I sort of now understand why the new ending was sort of necessary for a satisfying conclusion.

I mean, by the time Sam gets kidnapped again, Lara had suffered another great loss in Roth, and had to make a big sacrifice with Alex. After suffering both, I can see Lara making the decision on not be willing to go through neither again, not willing to lose Sam, nor sacrificing her life so they can live. And that could lead to solidify that, for now on, Lara will not stop at nothing to get what she wants, and that she actually achieves it. And what does Lara want at that time? To escape with Sam safe and sound.

Now, I do think that the game could have made a better job into explaining this, which could have been made with two changes to the narrative: a) make Alex as important to Lara and the plot as both Roth and Sam; b) making Sam not be kidnapped again, but willingly give herself to the Solarii so that Himiko can finally allow anyone to leave Yamatai.

The first one is easy: the reason why the Sam sacrifice would be much more impactful is because she is shown during the story to be extremely important to Lara. Same thing can be said about Roth's, and it is why Lara losing him is seen as more important than, say, Grimm. But Alex as it is written, is closer to being a Grimm than a Roth or Sam. If Alex was also shown to be as important to Lara as Roth and Sam, his sacrifice would have been much more impactful, and we wouldn't want to sacrifice anyone else, this making saving Sam the most satisfying ending, without impacting the plot point of Lara understanding the differences between loss and sacrifice, deciding both suck and wanting a third option.

The second one would be because it would both give Sam some agency, and making Lara possibly go through a situation of both loss and sacrifice. Loss because Lara could be losing again someone without really having a saying, and sacrifice because she could still chose to not interfere, let Himiko possess Sam and finally be able to go home. But again, Lara having lived through both loss and sacrifice, decides that she is done with both and goes to stop Sam, especially since Lara now know that the same thing can be accomplished if they just destroy Himiko's old vessel, and Sam's sacrifice isn't necessary after all.

Obviously this might be easier said than done, and has the advantage of being in hindsight, but I think it would have been a way to make both the "loss and sacrifice" lesson more impactful while also having the more heroic ending we got.
Old 17-10-21, 18:18   #210
.snake.
Archaeologist

Sam should’ve died and been possessed by Himiko, and Himiko-Sam should’ve been the final boss.

Not only would it have been pleasurable to kill the most hated character in TR history (sans Alister), it would’ve made Himiko a more substantial villain. As it stands now, she’s the least developed and most boring villain in the series (and trust me, it’s hard to top Bartoli) and is almost a non-entity. The fact that her single “No One Leaves” line is completely obscured and blends in with the messy sound design really doesn’t help.

The concept art of a Himiko boss also looked pretty cool. Once again, the Reboot has nothing but missed opportunities.
.snake. is online now   Reply With Quote