Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 09-09-21, 13:05   #11
.snake.

Seth: I like your idea about making her bio ambiguous and mysterious - and how the different versions could be related to misinformation spread about her.

In many ways I feel like this is the one solution Crystal could have to bringing back the original Lara, not in actuality, but in spirit. Original Lara (even though she did have a bio) was a vague and mysterious character who barely spoke. This is what drew gamers in, because it made her an enigma but also allowed gamers to project their own fantasy on to her.

All the problems with Lara's character started when the LAU games tried to spell everything out and then the Reboot games made it even worse. From game to game she has become a more cringe-worthy unlikable mess partially because we know so much about her.

Perhaps the solution is to keep her past more of a mystery? Maybe we don't need to be sure which moment was her 'turning point' and made her 'The Tomb Raider'? Was it the plane crash in the Himalayas? Was it the shipwreck? Was it the expedition with Von Croy across Asia?

I don't think any of this unification is going to work in a concrete way that fans are speculating about it on this forum. Ambiguity is the only way to go when it comes to unifying Lara's past adventures.

But when it comes to Lara's look, I'm hoping for something simple - get rid of all the gear and appendages hanging off of her... get rid of the stupid ugly necklace (it's useless and Lara is beyond jewelry and accessories). Get rid of the frilly all-over-the-place hair. Keep it simple with a braid, backpack, holsters, and guns. Let the small details and realism be found in blood, stains, dirt, and scars on her body... not in complex modern gear, accessories, and fashion poking out from her in all directions. Sleek, simple and sexy.

Last edited by .snake.; 09-09-21 at 13:08.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 13:28   #12
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
The bow will return, 100%.
It's a weapon that adds variety to the combat.

Also, the return of the bow doesn't really enter in conflict with anything.
It's not as offensive as not bringing back all the other things that have been missing for the last 10 years.
Yes I very much agree with you.
More variety is a good thing. Bringing the bow back won't harm anyone at the end of the day.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-21, 15:56   #13
JuditePrince12

I hate the constant carrying of 4 weapons at once bcuz it looked so childish to see random things appear on her back out of thin air. Only to then conveniently disappear when Lara is captured or pinned down somewhere. And her climbing all the time with a bow, pistols, rifle and shotgun is even worse. So I believe to better balance this is to give Lara less to carry. This would make combat more about skill than just random spamming of what's in your inventory and keeping the theme of her being an adventurer so she carries light. I can see the pistols and one axe being on her as the base weapons and gear. When fighting enemies they should drop their weapons for Lara to then pick them up if she has to. Switching between either a high powered rifle or mechanical bow etc that can be dropped when she runs out of ammo.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 15:02   #14
Blackmoor

I think you can make anything commercially successful if you have things like:

-An attractive Lara
-An interesting story with a good mystery
-A story that has an emotional journey (doesn't have to be parents) that aligns with the journey of unravelling the central mystery - so that you feel things as well as intellectually understand plot points.
-Exciting, unpredictable and strange happenings (yes, Shadow would have been more interesting if Lara had time travelled into the past and had stumbled into the midst of, and interrupted, a sacrificial ceremony on top of a pyramid, as alluded to in the trailer... for example. Current TR is way too tame in all sorts of areas)
-Gameplay that is accessible yet challenging to different gameplay styles
-Gameplay that gives the feeling of adventure, daring and exploration of strange and interesting things
-Good voice actors
-An appealing characterisation for Lara (this does not mean Lara has to be rambo-Lara, superhero-Lara or trying-to-be-ordinary to be relatable-Lara).

Beyond that, I don't think it matters whether she is wearing a particular outfit or weaponry. Don't get me wrong, I do think some people care very much about those things, I just don't think they impact on the commerciality of TR.

I think she needs to be attractive looking - appealing to men and women
I think her characterisation needs to be appealing - and I don't think sticking to past depictions is necessarily going to be the most commercial way forward, albeit some kind of "connective thread" has to be in place between original Lara and all depictions of Lara, otherwise she becomes Lara merely in name.

The bio I don't think matters, it's whether the story played out, that springs from that, is fundamentally interesting. Same with Lara's characterisation. From any bio there are many variations that Lara's personality can take, it merely has to be an appealing and interesting one.

I say this as someone with a lot of love for the original TR, and some love in places for LAU and Reboots.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 17:08   #15
jeffrey van oort

Exclamation

Commercial sense is being made with regards to profitable endevadours. In this case the question is, does it sell? The fanbase is an established, and most important factor to answer this question. This thread is an answer. This is what the public wants. To unify the Tomb Raider time lines. So how is this goal achieved? The most obvious possibility is the ability to choose a Lara Croft outfit from the Tomb Raider game that you would like to play Tomb Raider with. (Or to play the Tomb Raider video game that you, do so, like the most). However a desire to play a new adventure with that particular Lara Croft from that particular time line is desired. How do you do pretend the universes to be aligned, other than playing with a Lara Croft outfit that is seen in a previous Tomb Raider. For an answer to this, I would like to refer to an artefact found in Lara Croft Go, the boardgame videogame. The quest involved finding a mirror. And a mirror "like" artefact, could be precisely what we have needed for this new adventure. A way to see oneself, or in this case to be able to interact with a Lara Croft of the time line of your choice, as Lara Croft. Each Lara Croft has her own skill set, or weapons, or acrobatics in their own Tomb Raider time lines. Play Lara Croft in an environment where you can put these skills to use, changing the path you are taking as you travel about with the Lara Croft of the time line you have chosen. This could be a multi-player videogame too. A quest to unify the multiverse? This is interesting.

Last edited by jeffrey van oort; 10-09-21 at 17:09.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 17:31   #16
Avalon SARL

Who believes all this CD SE nonsense.

Reboot timeline is here to stay.

All they will do is just add nostalgia to the old games like they did before with nothing to take very seriously.

They will just say, Lara did go on TR1,2,3,4,,and 6 and LAU but nothing more than just stupid references.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 18:32   #17
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post

All they will do is just add nostalgia to the old games like they did before with nothing to take very seriously.

They will just say, Lara did go on TR1,2,3,4,,and 6 and LAU but nothing more than just stupid references.
I can't blame them.

They can't reboot tr AGAIN cause that would be a bad look, they can't say classic Lara is not coming back... the only option left is the timeskip.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-21, 19:54   #18
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon SARL View Post

What I'm expecting.

Giving me the exact same game as the reboot but with Duals isn't going to suddenly make me like the generic cover-shooter gameplay but I fully expect that's what we're going to get.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 06:52   #19
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
What I'm expecting.

Giving me the exact same game as the reboot but with Duals isn't going to suddenly make me like the generic cover-shooter gameplay but I fully expect that's what we're going to get.
Exactly this.

They will take Black Widow as a base and move forward with a Lara Skin instead;

The game will remain a shooter, auto climb, Lara bragging and complaining about the difficult situation she is in.

Time skip or not, to have reboot Lara suddenly act out of herself, like classic Lara is very stupid, even if I want the Classic personality back.

The right thing to do is scrap the reboot Lara character and bring back the old personality, not the opposite by saying that Reboot Lara went and lived the adventures she did in The classics.

Imagining reboot Lara encountering Pierre and Larson, Natla, Von Croy doesn't make sense with her personality.

The scene in TR5 where Lara tricks Pierre to help her and then she leaves him behind to fall; there is no way this next door imposter (Reboot Lara) would ever do that.
Avalon SARL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-21, 07:08   #20
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

I mean, people change. People harden. People become much different people from their early life to their later life. I certainly have. The things I cared about at 21 are almost entirely different from the things I care about in my 30's. I think you guys are missing the point of the thread and just trying to shoot stuff down. Try a little imagination.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote