Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 14-09-21, 01:27   #1
Jathom95

Default Sunglasses - Yes or no?

With all of the exciting things coming around for AOD recently, I thought I'd put up this fairly small and pointless thread for fun and to pass the time. I'm always interested to hear how other people play and tweak their games.

For me, it's been yes ever since the option has been made easily available. For two reasons mostly.

1) Aesthetics. A fair bit of AOD's promotional materials showcased Lara with them. I think, even though it's a small thing, they add to her hardened personality in AOD.

2) Playing with them enabled largely fixes the issue where Lara is wearing them regardless in certain places in retail. Notable examples include the intro, when Bouchard finds her at the Louvre, the cutscene right before Eckhardt's fight, and the ending FMV. It's not a perfect fix, but there are less instances (mostly FMVs) where she's not wearing them vs is. Greatly improves consistency.

What about everyone else?

Last edited by Jathom95; 14-09-21 at 02:03.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 03:43   #2
LateRaider
Inactive

i usually leave them off. i wish it was level related and not exe related but idk, something about being able to see Lara's unobscured face is nice
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 03:51   #3
Jathom95

Yeah, I can understand that. Part of it for me too is that I frequently wear them irl (almost as often as some people wear caps). So I just like the look.

It's funny you mention level related though. Apparently, even the Multi Patcher option isn't all encompassing. For some reason, even if it's enabled, Lara still won't wear them in a couple of very specific places. The end cutscene during Industrial Rooftops comes to mind.

Last edited by Jathom95; 14-09-21 at 03:52.
Jathom95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 03:54   #4
.snake.

I've left them on for now - primarily for the sake of novelty, but also for the sake of consistency with the cutscenes and FMVs as you mentioned Jathom95.

Sure, I'd love it if we could tailor them to be level-specific, as LateRaider mentions, but that's that. It's extremely unrealistic that Lara would wear them whilst inside somewhere or deep underground in ancient tombs. Even in rainy weather, at night, it makes no sense, but we can argue that she's trying to obscure her identity from the police.

Eckhardt, Carvier, and Mueller also wear strange glasses or spectacles that sometimes look like borderline sunglasses - so at the end of the day I just see it as part of AODs unique 'gothic' '90s' art-direction, and I like that.

Last edited by .snake.; 14-09-21 at 03:55.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 08:35   #5
FairFriend

I like them, but they dont make sense for all (actually most) of the environments. I would rather disable them in the cutscenes they are in. Consistency is key as far as I am concerned, so in the end whichever choice results in the most consistent look is the best one.
FairFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 14:48   #6
SLAYER

I think they look cool. I prefer them on.
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 16:06   #7
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairFriend View Post
I like them, but they dont make sense for all (actually most) of the environments. I would rather disable them in the cutscenes they are in. Consistency is key as far as I am concerned, so in the end whichever choice results in the most consistent look is the best one.
This is what I want to do for my remaster. It proves to be quite difficult however.
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 20:32   #8
FairFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
This is what I want to do for my remaster. It proves to be quite difficult however.
Yes I thought it would be hard to pull off. Best of luck!
FairFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-21, 21:41   #9
Samz

The way I do it when playing is I save and quit for when they make sense/don't make sense.

Ideally, if we could mod it so the sunglasses are triggered by level, then we could place them when Lara wears them/makes sense.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-21, 10:01   #10
Bio_Cell

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
i wish it was level related and not exe related
Same! I like sunglasses. In my opinion Lara should wear them in these levels:
- Carvier's apartment
- Louvre Galleries
- The Archeological Dig
- Tomb of Ancients
- Hall of Seasons (eccept for Neptune's Hall)
- Galleries under siege
- Von Croy's apartment
- The Monstrum crimescene
- The Strahov Fortress
- The Lost Domain
- Eckhardt's Lab
Bio_Cell is offline   Reply With Quote