www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 29-11-17, 10:20   #1
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Default TR2 for Sega Saturn, did it ever leak?

Well, nuff said. As the title says, I wonder, if any TR2 demo for Sega Saturn ever even leaked? As far as I know the game was still early in production before it was cancelled, but we've seen screenshots of Venice already, so I wonder.

Last edited by Caesum; 29-11-17 at 10:26.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-17, 18:22   #2
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

In my experince/knowledge collecting the Tomb Raider Alpha/ beta/ demo build back in the day. It havn't leaked and that is because TR2 build for Sega saturn doesn't exist in the first place. No evidence or mentioned it on the internet.However.... never say never, could be exist but never found on it's way on the internet or could be lost forever many years ago. Sony paid for the game to be exclusively made for the PlayStation which in turn resulted in the Sega Saturn version being cancelled until Tomb Raider 4 and 5 for Sega Dreamcast. So in my opinion, There is no Alpha/beta or demo build for Sega saturn period of that time.

What you saw in Venice is run by PC Alpha build with Lara Croft model from Tomb Raider 1.

I hope this help.

Last edited by Greatest TR; 30-11-17 at 18:31.
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 09:10   #3
Caesum
Tomb Raider

That's a real shame then. I'm pretty sure I saw early Sega Saturn screenshots in a magazine scan, but maybe it was just a PSX version then.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 23:38   #4
Helegad
Explorer

I remember one of the devs stating that it could have been done for Saturn, which implies to me that what they had working probably amounted to little more than a TR1 mod.
Old 02-12-17, 16:02   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
I remember one of the devs stating that it could have been done for Saturn, which implies to me that what they had working probably amounted to little more than a TR1 mod.
I'm sure it could have been done. I think it would've been like TR1, but with more moves. Gameplay-wise anyway.
Old 02-12-17, 17:57   #6
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I think I read in an interview with Toby Guard that there was an offer/idea/ambition to do a N64 port of TR2... Now that would have been interesting.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-17, 17:59   #7
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I think I read in an interview with Toby Guard that there was an offer/idea/ambition to do a N64 port of TR2... Now that would have been interesting.
And an N64 port of TR1 too. All I can imagine though is just seeing TR1 Lara running around in SM64 levels.
Old 02-12-17, 18:05   #8
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I'm mostly trying to imagine all the textures scaled down to 32x32 (or even 16x16!) pixel size with N64's bilinear filtering on... that could look like an abstract painting when in action.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 23:05   #9
Greatest TR
Archaeologist

It would be no problem whatsoever if Tomb Raider 2 and rest of Tomb raider games run on Sega Saturn. What most people din't know is that Sega Saturn has a powerful system than PlayStation but main downfall is that it was very differcult and time comsuming for developers to programe a game, which led Tomb Raider 1 a poor version for Sega Saturn, however TR1 Saturn version has a better drawback distance than Playstation and it has the water reflection/wavy water feature that Playstation and PC don't have.

Sega Saturn has a better spec than Playstation. Result would be different if it wasn't differecult to programe, bear in mind Tomb Raider was a Timed exclusive on Sega Saturn. So it was a rush and unfinished port led to poor graphic, framerate and sound. If you look at Nights into Dreams, Virtual fighter 2 and Panzer Dragoon Saga, they all exclusive on Sega Saturn and properly programmed with full potential, the result are very impressive when comes to framerate and sound, especially Virtual Fighter 2 has the higher resolution output which make the game look alot better. I have seen it for myself.

For those who played Shenmue on Sega Dreamcast, check out the Shenmue beta footage for Sega Saturn which cancelled, You will be very impressed. No doubt in my mind that TR1 on Sega Saturn would have been the best port for the console only if it was done properly, Suzuki himself confirmed not that long ago that this is running on stock Saturn hardware. Not bad for 2D software which Sega Saturn originally designed for.

Here the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZUcPQAMvg

Last edited by Greatest TR; 05-12-17 at 11:48. Reason: added the video and spelling mistake
Greatest TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-17, 02:35   #10
Helegad
Explorer

Saturn being "more powerful" than Playstation is very vague and even untrue due to the inaccessibility and bottlenecks everywhere.

If Tomb Raider had come out a year later on Saturn, I doubt it would have looked any different, just been more polished. Saturn was not designed for 3D games. Its 3D capabilities were cheap and shoehorned in at the last minute.

As far as that Shenmue build goes, I would eat my hat if it ran at any more than three frames a second. That video was sped up for sure.

Last edited by Helegad; 06-12-17 at 02:37.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote