www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 27-11-21, 19:53   #1
tomee
Tomb Raider

Default PC won't put out any signal after I attempted to switch VGA

I bought a new PC recently. Its specs are Intel LGA1200 H510M-S2H, Intel LGA1200 Core i3 10105F 3.7GHz, nVidia Geforce GT 1030, Kingston DDR4 2666MHz 8GB (2×) and Win10 64 bit. I noticed some really low performances in some recent video games like Mortal Kombat 11 or Shadow of the Tomb Raider. In fact I couldn't get stable 30 FPS even on lowest settings which didn't happen even on my arguably weaker, previous PC.

My old PC had an nVidia GTX 750 in it and I had the idea of trying it in my new PC to see if it makes a difference. After the VGA switch, my new PC will absolutely not put out any signal to my display, which is a small TV with an HDMI cable. The new PC will not work either with my new VGA or the old one. Meanwhile the old PC works just fine with either of my VGA's. This naturally means the video cards themselves are not faulty, but I'm at my wit's end. The new PC will turn on so it has power and I can hear the fans and the HDD, however the motherboard LED doesn't seem to be lit.

Is it possible that perhaps during the video card switch the motherboard died for whatever reason? I didn't have any issues with replacing them and either cards fit perfectly in the slot without having to force it. Again my old PC works fine with either card, while the new one works with neither.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 27-11-21, 20:50   #2
ANoDE
Golden

Is it possible the you accidentally loosened one of the cables on the motherboard (or maybe accidentally moved the processor a bit)?
There's also the possibility of a hardware defect of course - could some electrostatic discharge have happened during the exchange?

When you turn the PC on, does it at some point emit audible signals?
If the mainboard works correctly, it should output a tone sequence when it detects a hardware fault.
Old 28-11-21, 10:14   #3
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Is it possible the you accidentally loosened one of the cables on the motherboard (or maybe accidentally moved the processor a bit)?
There's also the possibility of a hardware defect of course - could some electrostatic discharge have happened during the exchange?

When you turn the PC on, does it at some point emit audible signals?
If the mainboard works correctly, it should output a tone sequence when it detects a hardware fault.
I checked all cables and everything again, just in case, but still nothing. When I push the button, the PC will turn on. I can hear the fans and everything, but no such tone sequences. It just seems to turn on fine except there's no signal output to my display. I tried hooking up my display to both the VGA or directly to the motherboard, but both times I had no luck.

I'm suspecting maybe it was a rogue current that could've fried something inside? I just don't understand. All I did was remove the VGA and insert a different one. Something trivial like this shouldn't cause issues normally.
Old 28-11-21, 19:13   #4
ANoDE
Golden

As one of a more drastic step, you could try resetting your bios by removing the cmos battery (while everything is unplugged), or setting the clear cmos jumper (you will want to refer to your mainboard's manual on how to correctly do this).
This will reset all your Bios settings to the default, clearing any misconfiguration a hardware exchange could cause. Although unlikely, that could help.

Also, inspecting the port you use to plug the adapter in and checking it for dust or other stuff might help.

You can also try to power on your machine without any RAM inserted. In this case, the motherboard must emit warning sounds if it works correctly (you may also refer to your mainboards manual on how it will react to this situation). This way you can make sure if your mainboard even passes it's startup checks.
Old 01-12-21, 22:04   #5
tomee
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
You can also try to power on your machine without any RAM inserted. In this case, the motherboard must emit warning sounds if it works correctly (you may also refer to your mainboards manual on how it will react to this situation). This way you can make sure if your mainboard even passes it's startup checks.
I tried removing the CMOS battery, that did nothing either.

This suggestion above however was very close to the solution. A friend on Steam suggested I remove one of the two RAMs I have... lo and behold, I have signal again. There were no warning signs or anything, it just immediately started working again as intended. He suggested that my motherboard had a hiccup during the switch and decided it has no RAM, so I had to disturb the memory to set things in motion again.

Thankfully all is working properly now so this issue is resolved. Thanks for all the advice ANoDE
Old 02-12-21, 03:55   #6
ANoDE
Golden

Glad to hear you're back in business again