www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 04-07-19, 21:15   #621
Lenochka
Gold Contributor

Just thought I'd leave this here.
Lenochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 06:24   #622
lance6439
Legend

Maybe watched 16 episodes of season 1 (SMC) and haven't bothered to look back.
Old 05-07-19, 11:12   #623
Portugalraider
Professor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Maybe watched 16 episodes of season 1 (SMC) and haven't bothered to look back.
Season 1 of SMC is trash, especially animation wise.

Season 2 is okay-ish.

Season 3 is da bomb, though.
Old 05-07-19, 12:47   #624
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Season 1 of SMC is trash, especially animation wise.

Season 2 is okay-ish.

Season 3 is da bomb, though.
You know SMC is litterally the manga without the filler episodes ?
Old 05-07-19, 12:59   #625
johnanonymouz
Professor

I couldn't get into SMC because of the soundtrack change! it was such a gigantic part of the anime back in the day and I loved it so so much! Maybe I'll try again.
Old 05-07-19, 14:46   #626
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I know, but even still, the manga did the stories for both initial arcs, and the development of the other senshi, better than SMC did during those seasons. And the manga was much better looking than at least the first season of SMC.
Old 05-07-19, 16:23   #627
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenochka View Post

Just thought I'd leave this here.
Wooooow

Compared to THAT the americanized half-animated/half-life-action show probably wouldn't have been that bad lol

How good that neither of those came to fruition
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 17:35   #628
Blue_light
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Oh god, how much I really despise this excuse.

The manga at least has an excuse to have really terrible *** pulls and plotholes, because it was being drawn alongside the anime.

SMC could have fixed, expanded, and overall polished the manga story, since it was working with a finished product. They tried, by keeping the generals alive for longer, yet their stay not only turned out to be so poorly executed, it added more plot holes to the ones that carried from the manga.

Even if someone says that there was no choice, since they were following the manga as closely as possible, I'll give an example of an actual good anime adaptation from a very simplistic manga: Phantom Thief Saint Tail.

The very first episode of the anime is both very different, but also the exact same as the first chapter. The events play out the exact same way, only elements are changed to give more plausibility, for example:

- Manga -> Asuka Jr. gets invited to the house targeted by St. Tail to test the security system because he is "very smart" (yes, that's literally the reason. And sure, asking a 14 year old to test someone's security system is totally realistic)
- Anime -> Asuka Jr. does some research on the rich houses that have been robbed recently, and gets to the house St. Tail is targeting based on that data.

And others added to fill in details that the manga doesn't show, such as Asuka Jr. getting recognition and permission from the Mayor to investigate on the case; or give more excitement, such as instead the owner of the jewel being honest like in the manga, in the anime he's part of a criminal scheme that sells gems, and then steals them back.

Card captor Sakura is another example. While it takes more liberties with the manga, when it's not following it 1:1, it still keeps what's important, and expands on what already has. The anime shows Sakura accidentaly releasing the cards (while in the manga, they were already out), being selected as a card captor (which was done via flashback in the manga), and how Tomoyo became involved.

The only things that SMC1/2 actually did right in the polishing department was making the chess scene against Berthier more important, and Makoto's intro episode. Other than that it is what Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles anime did to the scene in the world of the shiny lake, which turned a fun light hearted moment to something boring and lifeless to look at.

SMC took what little personality the manga had, and washed everything out. The jokes, the extreme expressions, the quirks of the characters, particularly anyone who wasn't Usagi, were all gone. Rei had all her sass gone, even the dub highlighted just how bland she became, not to mention how everyone else sounded the same. They took Venus' own decision and determination to sacrifice her planet power for the possibility of reaching the princess, which highlighted her as a leader, and instead gave the whole group some BS lights for inspiration. They made Usagi actually consider leaving her friends to die because she didn't have powers like them.

So, Portugalraider is right. SMC season 1 is trash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
And the manga was much better looking than at least the first season of SMC.
I don't know how to respond to this, since I have a love-hate relationship with the manga's artstyle. XD

Last edited by Blue_light; 05-07-19 at 23:15. Reason: Trying to cut down extra rambling.
Blue_light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 17:45   #629
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Hey friends!

Is there anyway I can watch the original 90’s Sailor Moon? I watched it growing up when I was like 7 or 8 years old and I loved it. I had a huge crush on Sailor Moon hahaha

Is there like a DVD boxset? Or something?
Old 05-07-19, 18:47   #630
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Hey friends!

Is there anyway I can watch the original 90’s Sailor Moon? I watched it growing up when I was like 7 or 8 years old and I loved it. I had a huge crush on Sailor Moon hahaha

Is there like a DVD boxset? Or something?
I’ve been wondering this too. I remember watching it somewhere on like Netflix or Hulu, but it didn’t seem to be right.