www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 28-11-15, 22:02   #181
Dream
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
Totally deserved!
I gotta disagree with you there Enya.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:03   #182
Jankrow
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enya Brennan View Post
Oh, waiting to see what you guys have stored for us.
All of us, I hope.
Jankrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:07   #183
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianHortonArt View Post
Microsoft and Square are very happy with Rise and the dev team, thanks for the concerns. Crystal and Eidos Montreal made a game we are proud of and we appreciate the overwheling number of positive reviews and fan feedback. We're looking forward to the Game Awards next week where we are nominated for Best Action Adventure and Best Performance for Camilla. Wish us luck, hopefully it's just the beginning of the recognition Tomb Raider and Lara Croft receives this year. It's cool to see her on top again for the second game in a row. We're all fans and for me it's been the honor of my career to be a part of such a fantastic legacy. Next year 20th Anniversary!
Brian, the quality of the game (although not entirely to my taste) cannot be denied. It has received all-round critical praise. There is a big difference between critical success and commercial success. The sales have undoubtedly been poor unless they have somehow been mitigated by Microsoft as part of the deal. Am I missing something here? Can anyone from the inside shed some truly honest light on what thoughts and expectations are/were regarding sales? or perhaps even the kind of budget and profit targets that ROTTR was given?

This is all great talk from you and I am pleased your efforts have been recognised but with due respect, your comment completely misses that crucial distinction between the critical and the commercial. The franchise was taken from your predecessor studio for sales above where we currently stand (500k within its first 10 days of release), same story for Underworld which also enjoyed fairly good critical praise.

I look forward to a more candid insight from yourself or someone else on the team in due course.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:10   #184
Jankrow
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Brian, the quality of the game (although not entirely to my taste) cannot be denied. It has received all-round critical praise. There is a big difference between critical success and commercial success. The sales have undoubtedly been poor unless they have somehow been mitigated by Microsoft as part of the deal. Am I missing something here? Can anyone from the inside shed some truly honest light on what thoughts and expectations are/were regarding sales? or perhaps even the kind of budget and profit targets that ROTTR was given?

This is all great talk from you and I am pleased your efforts have been recognised but with due respect, your comment completely misses that crucial distinction between the critical and the commercial. The franchise was taken from your predecessor studio for sales above where we currently stand (500k within its first 10 days of release), same story for Underworld which also enjoyed fairly good critical praise.

I look forward to a more candid insight from yourself or someone else on the team in due course.
I doubt you'll get that. Certainly not from him. It isn't his place to comment on that, and even if it were, no doubt he's been told what he can and can't say. And I think that is one of the things he definitely wouldn't be able to talk about.
Old 28-11-15, 22:15   #185
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Their willful ignorance of the bottom line that this thread is concerned with was crystal clear.

It is not an impossible expectation though. Eric Lindstrom provided a lengthy confessional in the aftermath of Tomb Raider Underworld. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...b_.php?print=1

Worth a read when you have ten minutes to spare.
Old 28-11-15, 22:18   #186
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
Greatest Hits didn't change anything about the game. Of course it counts.

DE was a totally different release.
It was not. Yeah, it had improved graphics, but it was exactly the same game.
It's like saying that the 360 and Xbone versions of ROTTR should be considered different releases as well.

Last edited by AshesBorn; 28-11-15 at 22:20.
AshesBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 22:25   #187
Jankrow
Explorer

Quote:
Their willful ignorance of the bottom line that this thread is concerned with was crystal clear.

It is not an impossible expectation though. Eric Lindstrom provided a lengthy confessional in the aftermath of Tomb Raider Underworld. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...b_.php?print=1

Worth a read when you have ten minutes to spare.
Thanks. Interesting indeed.
Old 28-11-15, 22:27   #188
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
The franchise was taken from your predecessor studio for sales above where we currently stand (500k within its first 10 days of release)...
TRAOD was a very broken/unfinished game and received mixed to negative reviews though. I doubt it was just the sales.
Old 28-11-15, 22:30   #189
Enya Brennan
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
I gotta disagree with you there Enya.
No problem I admit I hated her performance in the reboot, but I think it had a lot to do with the atrocious script. Now, in Rise, she has improved a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankrow View Post
All of us, I hope.
I honestly don't know what to expect. No remakes, that's a given. Idk...
Old 28-11-15, 22:33   #190
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankrow View Post
Thanks. Interesting indeed.
NP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
TRAOD was a very broken/unfinished game and received mixed to negative reviews though. I doubt it was just the sales.
Fair point but this this reinforces my point with Brian, just as it is not just about sales, its also not just about critical success. Critical success can help drive up sales and therefore profit but if the sales are poor because of other factors, then they probably need to be acknowledged. The elephant in the room is of course, the exclusivity which has frozen out the majority of TR's natural audience. ROTTR was always going to be a hard-sell to the Xbox audience. As others have mentioned, we have no idea just how much of a shortfall ROTTR sales are looking at. Let's see if Square are still pleased six months from now.

Also worth pointing out Angel of Darkness initially received some good scores before the reports of bugs etc started to flood in. OPSM even downgraded their score retrospectively quite a while after release.