www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 08-08-19, 11:29   #51
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

In the book it is Eddie yes, but people have pointed out that Richie seemed to have a soft spot for him in the novel. It's quite a 'people see what they want to see' sort of thing, but it could be perceived that way or you could just say they're close friends. However, I think there is a good chance they could take it that way in the film as it's more acceptable in today's generation than the time the novel was set in. I doubt they'd be a thing in the film though, at least I hope they don't. I'm all for them adding it in subtly, as in Richie having suppressed feelings.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 08-08-19 at 11:31.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 23:57   #52
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Honestly I think it may be more of a people see what they want situation because I don't think seeing some of what Stephen King has written throughout his career that he'd be worried about the general publics acceptability.

If they do include it I wouldn't mind though as long as it adds to them as characters and doesn't come off as some sort of "woke" character choice.
Old 07-09-19, 11:05   #53
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

I saw this last night. I'm copy-pasting my thoughts from Reddit here.

WARNING: SPOILERS - I'll white the big ones out but you have been warned regardless.

Here's my thoughts on what I think is a solid 8/10 film:

Bill Hader stole the show though the other actors were great and I bought them as being the older Losers, no problem.

While I didn't exactly find it 'scary' (I didn't find Chapter 1 that scary either) I liked the ramped-up imagery. It almost feels like punches were pulled with the first film now.

Sorry to say this, but the 'Bob Gray' scene is just part of Bev's experience in her old apartment. It was... strange to see Pennywise without clown makeup.

The opening, with Adrian Mellon, was just brutal, and that was before Pennywise even showed up. It shows that Derry is basically stuck in a time warp of sorts.

It appearing to Henry as the rotting corpse of Patrick was cool since that's the only one of Bowers' gang killed by It.

I liked the callbacks to the 90s miniseries, sparse though they were. Brandon Crane being in the first scene with adult Ben was great (I wonder what he thought about being involved with It again). And, of couse, "Kiss me, fatboy!" No 1990s Pennywise theme like some people said: the funhouse scene uses the Pennywise Dance music from the 2017 film.

Molly Atkinson as Myra was an inspired touch. Well, the book *did* say Eddie essentially married his mother.

I'm not sure how much of a minority this group is, but I'm in the group that didn't mind the 'final form' being a Pennywise/Spider hybrid - especially since it's not *really* Pennywise's final form in the film (the Deadlights are). I read into it that Pennywise takes that form to prevent a repeat of the last time they fought. Them making Pennywise conform to their own will is also a really great reinterpretation of the Chud ritual from the book - a real battle of wills.

And a change that seems a tad mixed is everybody remembering at the end, though I think it fits beautifully with the theme of the film and it also works to show It is really dead this time. Stan's letter was a really nice touch too - the character came across as 'cowardly' in the book and miniseries for taking the easy way out, but here it's at least explained he did it to not hold them back.

Richie's reaction to Eddie's death is just heartbreaking - and it's made clear that Richie is in love with Eddie when at the end he recarves 'R+E' into the Kissing Bridge.

It's not perfect: there are some things that didn't quite sit right. Bowers was underused and I was expecting him to mirror his last words to Mike in Chapter 1 rather than just basically being a Pennywise mouthpiece. Some of the CGI de-aging was way too obvious, and this might surprise you: I didn't think the CGI de-aging on Richie was bad. It looked like him. The one that actually took me away from it was the de-aging on Eddie. There was something just *off* about it.

As for the length, I actually feel this dragged less than Endgame did.

All in all, I really liked the film and I want to see it in cinemas again.

Last edited by ggctuk; 07-09-19 at 11:07.
ggctuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 20:03   #54
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

I think people must have confused Eddie and Richie when talking about the CGI as I also thought they actually done a decent job on Richie. Eddie didn't look like IT 1 Jack Grazer too much. His hair was curlier too and voice not as high as it was in the first film.

I watched it again last night after my first initial showing, and I think the film is fantastic. A worthy follow up of the first film IMO and the cast, cinematography and soundtrack were all so brilliant... I enjoyed it so much more this time. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray
Old 07-09-19, 21:08   #55
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
I think people must have confused Eddie and Richie when talking about the CGI as I also thought they actually done a decent job on Richie. Eddie didn't look like IT 1 Jack Grazer too much. His hair was curlier too and voice not as high as it was in the first film.
THANK YOU! I thought Richie's CGI didn't look bad considering out of all the cast Finn Wolfhard's appearance has changed the most (he has a much 'sharper' face now) and yet it clearly still looks like Richie from Chapter 1. Eddie looked 'off' - especially in the pharmacy scene. It's funny because all they had to do was get Jack Grazer to shave his moustache - he would have passed well enough. He might have looked a tad older but definitely not as off as the CGI made him look.

Quote:
I watched it again last night after my first initial showing, and I think the film is fantastic. A worthy follow up of the first film IMO and the cast, cinematography and soundtrack were all so brilliant... I enjoyed it so much more this time. I can't wait to get it on Blu-Ray
I loved it myself and I agree to it being a worthy follow-up. I'm planning on seeing it again on Thursday (first free day off next week).

There's talk of a 'super-cut' combining the two films with a few extra scenes thrown in for good measure. That would be hella interesting to see.
Old 07-09-19, 22:07   #56
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
THANK YOU! I thought Richie's CGI didn't look bad considering out of all the cast Finn Wolfhard's appearance has changed the most (he has a much 'sharper' face now) and yet it clearly still looks like Richie from Chapter 1. Eddie looked 'off' - especially in the pharmacy scene. It's funny because all they had to do was get Jack Grazer to shave his moustache - he would have passed well enough. He might have looked a tad older but definitely not as off as the CGI made him look.

I loved it myself and I agree to it being a worthy follow-up. I'm planning on seeing it again on Thursday (first free day off next week).

There's talk of a 'super-cut' combining the two films with a few extra scenes thrown in for good measure. That would be hella interesting to see.
I would LOVE a supercut, but i'll hold my breath for that one. I remember Andy promising a Director's Cut for Chapter one...

Since seeing Chapter Two I keep thinking about it. They definitely succeeded in making a film that sticks with you. The first movie done that, which made me read the book.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 07-09-19 at 22:11.
Old 08-09-19, 04:19   #57
Cat Woman
Explorer

IT:Chapter 2 (2019) got released here last Friday. We are going to see it Tuesday. Can’t wait. Should be good.
Old 09-09-19, 17:52   #58
KManX89
Historian

It (no pun intended) was pretty good, not as good as the first one, but still solid nonetheless.

It definitely delivered on the scares and tension and the cast was solid all-around, though the pacing was kinda iffy in spots. There were some scenes that really didn't need to be in the film, including flashback scenes which it was overstuffed with them. If a sequel is dependent on you having seen the first movie in order to understand the plot in the first place (which most sequels are), then throwing in a ton of flashbacks is pointless. They were just thrown in there for the sake of padding the movie's runtime, which dragged it down a bit.

Still a pretty good movie, though.
KManX89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 16:48   #59
AmericanAssassin
Legend

So, I did something I absolutely never do. I dragged my ass to a movie theater to watch IT: Chapter Two. It was pretty good. A solid 8/10, but I definitely liked the first film better. I mean, I truly thought that was a masterpiece. A 10/10. Hopefully, I'll like the second film more when I rewatch it eventually or if this master cut ever truly happens.

Side note: I just purchased the audiobook of the novel. I always try to read things before I watch adaptations, so it seems a bit odd that I'll be experiencing it this way, but I'm excited nonetheless.

Edit: Oh! I also bought the steelbook Blu-ray of the 1990 miniseries. I forgot to mention that...

Last edited by AmericanAssassin; 11-09-19 at 16:50.
AmericanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 17:32   #60
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Seems like you were in an IT-Shopping-Frenzy

I couldn't get myself to watch either of the new adaptions (yet), as I'm still scared to death from the few scenes I saw when sneaking into the living room while my parents watched the movie.