www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 28-07-19, 07:23   #1
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Contributor

Default Kotaku Article: "Sexualization in Games Doesn't Impact Women's Body Image

Quote:
The study, published by the American Psychological Association, asked about 100 women to play one of two Tomb Raider games. In one, Tomb Raider Underworld, subjects played a part in the game where Croft is outfitted in “bikini bottoms and a form-fitting long-sleeved wetsuit top” that was “portrayed in a way that emphasized Lara’s waist, hips, and breasts.

This was the “sexualized” gameplay, since as the study explained, “one of the indicators of sexualization is clothing that is not appropriate for the task to be completed.” The other subjects played the 2013 game Tomb Raider, where Croft is wearing cargo pants and a tank top. Participants then filled out a well-known study for self-objectification, or “emphasizing physical appearance” in self-evaluations. The study’s results indicated that playing the “sexualized” segment of Tomb Raider Underworld did not make players feel body shame or impact their body satisfaction—or, at least, not as much as other types of objectification, like catcalling.”
Full Article

Obviously it's a small sample study, but great read nonetheless. I know myself and other women around TRF like curvy and more sexualized Lara, so it doesn't surprise me to see random other women have no issue with it.

For me, playing as a strong woman who is curvy and wears flattering outfits is a power fantasy and doesn't feel demeaning at all.

But at any rate, I hope more studies like this are done in the future.
Old 28-07-19, 08:17   #2
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Lara OWNS her sexuality and always has, it’s what attracted so many people in the 90s. The only time I’ve felt (during gameplay) where it was exploited was the several coloured bikinis in Legend.
Old 28-07-19, 10:44   #3
johnanonymouz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
The only time I’ve felt (during gameplay) where it was exploited was the several coloured bikinis in Legend.
The bikinis in Underworld were the epitome of sexualization in a tasteless way for me.
Old 28-07-19, 10:57   #4
Evil Doggos
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post

Full Article

Obviously it's a small sample study, but great read nonetheless. I know myself and other women around TRF like curvy and more sexualized Lara, so it doesn't surprise me to see random other women have no issue with it.

For me, playing as a strong woman who is curvy and wears flattering outfits is a power fantasy and doesn't feel demeaning at all.

But at any rate, I hope more studies like this are done in the future.
Kotaku bad. Also, it is really early. Why are you not sleepos?
Old 28-07-19, 11:08   #5
Fantasy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
The bikinis in Underworld were the epitome of sexualization in a tasteless way for me.
I don’t remember any bikinis in Underworld but it’s been at least five years since I last played it
Old 28-07-19, 11:38   #6
TR1249
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
I don’t remember any bikinis in Underworld but it’s been at least five years since I last played it
They were Xbox Exclusive DLCs
Old 28-07-19, 12:29   #7
Woops
Explorer

Top sexualised crap for me is the cheeky Core renders tbh
90% of the renders have a hidden dirty gesture :/
Old 28-07-19, 12:49   #8
Dennis's Mom

For me, it's never been about whether I "feel bad about my own body." I have never cared that Lara won the genetic lottery.

I only care that they dress Lara in clothing that is stupid for the task at hand, and the ass suit was pretty stupid for diving in the Mediterranean because the purpose of a wetsuit is to hold your body heat.

But maybe I could have let that pass had they not had it crawling up her ass (only held in place by Extraordinary Feats of Coding) and then choreographed the game so I had to stare at her ass the whole time.

Sexualization has to do with other people's perception of women, and having heroes seem preoccupied with "looking sexy" regardless of whether it's appropriate to the task at hand or choreographing the gameplay as if the camera were run by giggling adolescents only perpetuates the concept that the main drivers for women's existence is to be seen as ****able by men.

Ultimately, that's what feeds women's body image: your worth is bound up into your ****ability. Watching fictional characters (who are supposed to be strong & independent & confident) be ridiculous in pursuit of that sends the message that no matter what else you've got going on, you've got to pander to succeed because your chief power is your ****ability.
Old 28-07-19, 12:52   #9
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

I mean if Crystal Dynamics had a clue they would of capitalised on the idea of having Lara be into fitness, and inspiring other women to be pursue new sports. They could have a fake Instagram account for her, and had her doing workouts that other girls/guys could follow or had a cosplayer do it. So many ways this could of been used to positively influence a community, which would of totally change.

But it's good the ridiculously athletic bodies of women in games doesn't affect gamers.
Old 28-07-19, 13:05   #10
johnanonymouz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Top sexualised crap for me is the cheeky Core renders tbh
90% of the renders have a hidden dirty gesture :/
omg i still have the renders that came with TR1-3 on pc..............they are so bad and out of character! there is a way to be flirty or sexy and these renders are not that.