www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 18-09-19, 15:50   #1
DragonSlayer
Professor

Default Should storylines be kept shorter?

It's no secret these days that some storylines can drag on for a long time to the point where some people get bored and want it to end.

I think they should be kept shorter as sometimes they can stretch patience to the limit.

Back when I used to watch EastEnders there was an assisted suicide storyline before assisted suicide was a thing with some old woman called Ethel I got so tired of it one day I said just kill her and get it over with.

Holby City did this for an entire year with a character convinced that he could reverse death and getting rid of anyone who got in his way even going as far as murdering one of his best friend's when she asked too many questions, the guy only had 3 good episodes the two parter in which he first appeared because the two parter wasn't all about him and the one episode he wasn't in.

The Irish soap Fair City which I don't watch but am aware of this particular plot had someone held hostage for an entire year in a cargo container.

Holby City is doing another long story at the moment but I'm letting it go as it's a good story and it's reflective of real life it's a basic stalker storyline guy is obsessed with someone having tricked her into marrying him and when she discovered that he had a kid that he hadn't told her about she dumped him and he turned nasty and started appearing everywhere she went and was constantly texting her and sending her flowers with a photo attached with till death do us part written on it to leaving stuff in her flat and installing a hidden camera in her flat and planting a tracking device on her car
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-19, 19:53   #2
TrustyBow
Professor

I generally don't watch too much tv for that very reason. It's very rare to find a show that doesn't hit a significant lull.

I think the biggest benefit of mini series is that they tend to be able to overpass this problem, since they don't have to worry about setting up a future.
Old 18-09-19, 20:01   #3
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

It's not the length of a story that is a problem it's the plat driven vs the character driven ones. Character driven ones are much more interesting and written much better then plot driven storylines.
Old 18-09-19, 21:13   #4
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
It's not the length of a story that is a problem it's the plat driven vs the character driven ones. Character driven ones are much more interesting and written much better then plot driven storylines.
Stuff like Inception or Fight club are plot driven storys.
It is the length and the way a story is paced, moved that is important and make or break it.

I dont know why, but somehow people seem to have come to this whole plot driven vs character driven thing as if its a real thing...as if you can only be good with one and not the other.

Bogus...no matter if plot driven, character driven, area driven or so...if you write good then it works.

The one and only thing that is true is that a story never should be too long.
Even if you get it constantly going and all, at one point you need to make a clear cut and end a plot.
Not letting it fuse together into the next big plot, really cutting it off.

At the same time however, you could ruin a lot by being too short.
Its hard to find the right balance, its why mixing up the focus has become a interesting take.
Many Writers have learned to evolve one kind of story into another, a plot driven into a character driven and so on.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-19, 10:45   #5
DragonSlayer
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I generally don't watch too much tv for that very reason. It's very rare to find a show that doesn't hit a significant lull.

I think the biggest benefit of mini series is that they tend to be able to overpass this problem, since they don't have to worry about setting up a future.
The only miniseries I know of that set up a future series was Battlestar Galactica that was a great miniseries.

The only storyline I didn't mind going on was the war with the Dominion on Star Trek DS9 even though I didn't watch every episode of the Dominion war story I kept up with most of it.

If you don't already do so you might want to watch some comedies whose plots are mostly self contained like Only Fools and Horses, Frasier, Keeping up Appearances, The Royle Family, Mrs Brown's Boys, The Vicar of Dibley, Father Ted, Brassic, and Futurama to name a few.

You might like Brassic it's the funniest comedy I've seen in a long time.

There are some ongoing storylines in all but Keeping up Appearances, Father Ted, Futurama but they don't drag on for a long time.

If you are not into comedy then there are various dramas like 911, Station 19, FBI, Code Black, ER and Ackley Bridge, Code Black was unfortunately cancelled after 3 seasons but it's worth watching IMO.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote