Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 03-10-20, 04:49   #1
Feder

Arrow Tomb Raider 4: The Fountain Of Youth

Introduction:

It was not until a few weeks ago that I found out there was going to be a Tomb Raider 4 Gold game by Core but it was cancelled and never developed beyond the concept. I read the story and… it blew my mind! What an amazing adventure we missed… not only because of the extraordinary locations Lara was going to visit (after spending the whole previous game in Egypt), but because the original assets from TR4 fit the story quite well. All that voodoo-pirate spooky vibe would’ve played well with all the undead enemies of TR4.

I realize now that was what Cowboy’s Fading Light was all about (yes, just now), and he did a fantastic job with the concept.

Anyway, after reading the story I couldn’t stop thinking about a classic TR4 Gold game. So, with all that inspiration, I decided to dive into the Tomb Raider 4 engine (finally), and build my own interpretation of the cancelled expansion, moving away as little as possible from the classic assets.

Since I’m new to the TR4 engine, there are a few things I don’t understand just yet. My intention is to use this thread not only to show the progress, but to ask for help with some rather basic questions regarding the building process. I’ll appreciate any answer, tip or advice you can give me.

List of levels planned:

Level 1: Mardi Gras Festival (100%)
Level 2: Tomb of Marie Leveau (100%)
Level 3: The Plantation (100%)
Level 4: Shores of Port Royal
Level 5: The Sunken City of Pirates
Level 6: Cibola
Level 7: Dr. Ya Ya's Island
Level 8: Inside The Bermuda Triangle
Level 9: The Fountain of Youth

Note: it is possible that the levels list may change as the project developes.

Screenshots:

I plan to add some festive decorations like balloons and stuff, to go with the concept of the level (and properly lighting the objetcs).

And, I'm already bringing the first question
-How do I change the green sky graphics? I tryed with WadTool and with the Level Setting of TE, but I couldn't get it done.

Last edited by Feder; 13-05-21 at 00:41. Reason: update
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 06:10   #2
Krystian

Despite the intuition, the sky_graphics sprites have really nothing to do with the sky colour (it doesn't even have to be present in the level wad at all, in fact). The real sky sprites that are used in levels are contained in the so-called .raw files, which are individual for each level wad (e.g. karnak.raw). There are some programs, like BmpToRaw, which allow you to save to this obscure format, utilising a more recognizable bmp file, which you can edit.
If you want to use the standard blue sky sprites, which are used for levels like Temple of Karnak, to make things easier you can just copy the raw file and rename it so it matches your wad name.

The green overcast is further done by the Layer1= entry in the level script. The syntax is as follows:
Code:
Layer1= RedTint, GreenTint, BlueTint, MovementSpeed
The RGB tints should be self-explanatory, the movement speed simulates how fast the sky graphics (e.g. clouds) scroll across the "sky", allowing you to simulate anything from a very calm to a very windy day. It is a value within the range of -16 to 16.

Last edited by Krystian; 03-10-20 at 06:13.
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 08:47   #3
Wolf 7

A Tomb Raider 4 custom level by the TR 1-3 genie Feder? This is going to be AMAZING!!
Wolf 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 08:54   #4
egypt_gypsie

Very excited for this!
egypt_gypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 10:34   #5
klona
Golden

I've always daydreamed about this level set!
Looking forward to this.

Are you going to use TRNG or Vanilla TR4? Vanilla has a lot of limits...
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 13:17   #6
maxthon_
Inactive

My god, I loved the screenshots, another quality work from feder! , I loved your initiative to bring back cancelled content from core design. Good luck of this already.
maxthon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 14:02   #7
Feder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian View Post
The green overcast is further done by the Layer1= entry in the level script. The syntax is as follows:
Code:
Layer1= RedTint, GreenTint, BlueTint, MovementSpeed
The RGB tints should be self-explanatory, the movement speed simulates how fast the sky graphics (e.g. clouds) scroll across the "sky", allowing you to simulate anything from a very calm to a very windy day. It is a value within the range of -16 to 16.
I did exactly that and it worked perfectly

Also reduced the wind speed to 8, as it was at 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klona View Post
I've always daydreamed about this level set!
Looking forward to this.

Are you going to use TRNG or Vanilla TR4? Vanilla has a lot of limits...
For the moment I'm using Vanilla TR4. I have a lot to learn about TREP, FLEP, NG and its features. However, the plan is to create this game as if it was created in 2000 and keep it classic
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 14:04   #8
SrDanielPonces

Nice! Are you using Tomb Editor?
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 15:40   #9
bublehed

I've played the level-set that was made around this idea before, however I'm looking forward to seeing how the great Feder tackles it!
bublehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-20, 20:38   #10
maxthon_
Inactive

Quote:
I have a lot to learn about TREP, FLEP, NG and its features.
^ Remembering that,TREP does not work together with NG,if you want to use TREP,it will have to be without NG,plus the FLEP works with NG very well,the FLEP is a 3x better version than the TREP
maxthon_ is offline   Reply With Quote