www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 17-08-17, 19:59   #101
HarleyCroft
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
- the London section in TR3 is the worst section in the franchise
- Thor's hammah is a very bad and annoying weapon.
Totally agree with the crappy hammah! Especially after welding Excalibur, using such a oddly shaped weapon to shoot projectile lighting was awkward.

And.. it's painful to agree but the London section is pretty awful to play through.
The colours, outfit, music, atmosphere, mini-plot, and overall aesthetic were gorgeous and one of the most memorable parts of TR3 for me but god, is that part tedious to play through.

I'd rather shortcut out of Thames Wharf, use the all-items cheat to have all the keys in Aldwych, go through the Egyptian area then skip the underwater section in Lud's Gate, then spend some time shooting at Sophia to get more play out of City. I've played it properly a few times but there's just no drive to do it legit anymore
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 20:07   #102
Patrick star
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Totally agree with the crappy hammah! Especially after welding Excalibur, using such a oddly shaped weapon to shoot projectile lighting was awkward.
Exactly ! "powerful enough to level mountains" my arse ? even a mere giant thrall takes three shots with the hammah to die it didn't even manage to kill Natla there goes Lara's legendary line about how she's in dire need of Thor's Hammah to kill a god

No seriously , the hummer was so clumsy and unsatisfying , probably boils down to the combat in Underworld being crap in general , but still , I didn't like it as a weapon , though it's definitely a cool artifact in general .

Quote:
And.. it's painful to agree but the London section is pretty awful to play through.
The colours, outfit, music, atmosphere, mini-plot, and overall aesthetic were gorgeous and one of the most memorable parts of TR3 for me but god, is that part tedious to play through.

I'd rather shortcut out of Thames Wharf, use the all-items cheat to have all the keys in Aldwych, go through the Egyptian area then skip the underwater section in Lud's Gate, then spend some time shooting at Sophia to get more play out of City. I've played it properly a few times but there's just no drive to do it legit anymore
I've ranted about the London section (and the worst level in video game history : Lud's Gate) for a life time so now I'd just say that I'd rather play Shantytown with Kurtis and AOD's combat system with double the number of Solari than engaging in the London section . Though Aldwych is good , but mostly due to the atmosphere and the aesthetics whereas the level design and gameplay is still utterly horrible like the rest of the section . In general and nowadays , I just skip the entire section whenever I replay TR3 .

Last edited by Patrick star; 17-08-17 at 20:08.
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 21:27   #103
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I like Anniversary's version of the Classic outfit (NOT the "Classic" skin in the game , mind you , I mean the default Anniversary outfit) more than the Core classic outfit.
I agree. I made a post on this already so I won't say too much again, but that Anniversary model in general is the most beautiful Lara ever looked to me. On her outfit, I think they got the colours just right, I loved that blue of her shirt.

Quote:
- I prefer LAU Natla to Classic Natla.
I agree again. LAU Natla looked creepy even in human form, she had the look of an exiled Queen with an icy personality. I think she was voiced so beautifully by Grey DeLisle as well, she brought so much sophistication, coldness and arrogance to Natla.

By comparison, I find classic Natla (like so many of the classic characters) to be a bit too theatrical and comical in how she spoke. She made me laugh more than anything with that overdone Texan accent. It did fit the tone of the classic games though, so it's not necessarily bad.

Quote:
- I love the backtracking in TR4 .
And I agree again. I especially loved the three "joined" levels; Temple of Karnak, Hypostyle Hall and Sacred Lake. The three of these, together, are probably one of my favourite segments in the history of the series. When I first played it, it seemed so convoluted and intricate, you really had to explore this huge site to find what you were looking for and the puzzles were a lot of fun to me. Quintessentially Tomb Raider.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-08-17 at 21:31.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 22:19   #104
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

-Mazes make interesting levels.
Old 17-08-17, 22:42   #105
ancientIo
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
The mysteries / stories of the early TRs (1-3) were more thrilling than most of the later games. Legend's excluded.
Legend's story is kinda underrated actually. The mommy plot isn't even that bad but it didn't continue as it naturally should have.

-lara looks weird alot of the time even the prettiest models. I wonder if anyone has? It's just, the way she's designed is working so so hard to scream into the players face that Lara is hot that she honestly looks kinda bizarre and unnatural at times. The FMV model, the AOD model, the Legend and Anni models all seem to be lanky with thin limbs and huge breasts and really huge eyes. Lara's eyes and boobs are often so big that she looks more like a doll that an alien created to entice human men to play video games instead of keep an eye on UFOs

Anyway if you look at those models and try to forget that it's supposed to be Lara Croft they look so weird. I get that Lara had a specific look that she's lost now, the braid, the high forehead, the dark brown eyes and plump lips and clean cut features but that doesn't have to be exaggerated.

I actually think the gym outfits are probably more attractive because they feel more real without necessarily being boring. I mean she's showing midriff but it's her house. It's the kind of thing Lara would plausibly wear in the real world she has the confidence and body.

-I hope TR never goes open world. I don't think the universe of TR warrants enough expansion for a standard open world game. I'm actually not sure if it's unpopular but I'm genuinely surprised that anyone wants that if they want classic style gameplay too.

But ancientIo! Exploration would be huge! Yes I know, exploration but there are other parts of open world that don't really make TR better or even really fit what Lara's supposed to be. Complicated backstories/ journals, collectibles, subquests, npcs.

No. TR needs meaningful exploration that directly influences how you progress and that's just not what I think of when it comes to open world games. Open world games are filled to the brim with content that doesn't have anything to do with the main quest.

I'd want TR to be a puzzle game before anything.

Last edited by ancientIo; 17-08-17 at 22:46.
ancientIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-17, 23:21   #106
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Open world is counter-intuitive for a Tomb Raider game as well. By it's own title, it's pretty much one of the few games justified to have labyrinth-like, borderline claustrophobic levels.

She's a tomb raider, not a savannah ranger. That's the whole point, she explores creepy closed-off places that haven't seen human footsteps for centuries at least. Places like that generally aren't open and accessible, they're enclosed by ruin, by nature or by design.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-08-17 at 23:23.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 08:38   #107
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientIo View Post
Legend's story is kinda underrated actually. The mommy plot isn't even that bad but it didn't continue as it naturally should have.

Yes, I think so too, that's why I excluded it. I think the mystery in Legend was actually fascinating in a way that some TR mysteries just are not.
Old 18-08-17, 09:55   #108
Waxyyyy
Student

An open world TR game would just be silly. Not to mention the problems some "open world" games have had with population problems. It'd have to be either very good, or not done at all.

*cough* metal gear solid 5 *cough* completely underpopulated universe not worthy of exploration *cough* but that's a different story.
Waxyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 10:12   #109
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Open world would be great to search for hidden tombs based on clues you find. For instance: ten meters from were Captain Bluebeard's ship beached he carved his name in a palm tree, and twenty meters north of that he hid his treasure in a cave.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-17, 11:04   #110
Saint Sophie
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Temple of Xian is a dreadful level which I look forward to the least when playing TR2. It fails at immersion and plays like an extended gauntlet. Should have been a bonus level like All Hallows in TR3 because it's about as good as that is.
That is pure blasphemy.
Saint Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote