Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-04-19, 17:44   #41
Athukraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Maybe only have her generally give insight to what she's thinking, like what AOD was going to do, a few tutorial-ish ones at the START of the game but no more after that.

But I guess that would require the player to think and thats not something we can do nowadays.
I agree they underestimate the player when in reality the only ones getting stuck are in the minority. Even in DLC7 if you don't deactivate the hints they tell u how to sprint... and it's post game...
Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 17:51   #42
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Paige View Post
I’ve been thinking a lot about Shadow Of The Tomb Raider recently as I have just finished playing through the campaign for the first time since I clocked it when it was released. It’s no secret that I have extremely mixed feelings about the game as there’s parts completely love (The Tombs and exploration) and other parts I absolutely despise (The story, Lara e.c.t).

My main concern at the moment though and something I thought I’d bring up is how the developers need to completely re vamp the game entirely for Tomb Raider 12. Many reviewers pointed out that the game was “more of the same” and a lot of fans felt the same way (myself included).
This ultimately stems from the sheer amount of reused content and ideas they brought over from the last two games which ended up completely overshadowing the new systems and gameplay that was included.

So I’ve made a list of features that they need to either completely remove or totally re vamp for the next game. I’d be very interested to see wether you guys agree with me or not or what you’d add to this list.

THINGS TO REMOVE-

* Rope arrow mechanics
* Challenges
* Campfires
* Mushrooms, Wood, Leaves and any other kind of vegetation harvesting
* Survival Caches
* Salvage
* XP buckets
* Monoliths
* Zip Lines
* Breakable walls
* Prying doors open
* Animations used to disguise load times
* Turning wheels with the Pickaxe
* Treasure Chests
* The scramble
* The same armoured enemies
* Prying minerals/Jade with the pickaxe
* Shotgun/Flammable barriers
* Generators
* Bottles
* Explosive barrels
* Survival Instincts
* Any Of The current supplies/items that she picks up off the ground
* Archivist maps
* Explorer backpacks
* Steles/Treasure chests/Codex’s
* Parental drama of any sort
* Tribal outfits
* Hire better actors all round (This ones just my personal wish lol)
I’m gonna stop there so I don’t get carried away lol

THINGS TO RE VAMP/ADD

* All of Lara’s animations need to be replaced with new ones
* Hair mesh needs to be replaced
* Skill Tree has to be overhauled entirely and actually add useful skills, no repeats of skills we’ve had for the past three games
* Weapon upgrades also need to be overhauled
* Traversal should be re vamped and updated with new traversal skills
* Pickaxes (Their use, what they can interact with e.c.t)
* Set pieces
* Lara’s character model (Issues with posture, strange body proportions, sub par/incorrect mesh topology e.c.t)
* Add some form of acrobatics
* Introduce melee combat system
* Stealth
* Enemy AI
* Being able to control Lara mid-air should be removed
* Hunting
* Documents and relics should be significantly reduced and given more meaning
* Outfits
* Fully playable Croft Manor
* proper roll button
* Combat
* Add vehicles
* New outfits
* Bigger more complex tombs that are less linear
* Vary the puzzle mechanics/solutions so it doesn’t feel repetitive

Also NEW CONTENT. Be bold, take risks.

My biggest worry about Tomb Raider 12 is that they’re going to continue to recycle the same formula and gameplay from the last three games. Given how criticised Shadow was for being a re skin of Rise, I honestly don’t think Tomb Raider will survive if they do it again.
Ideally the next game should be entirely built from the ground up. New and fresh

Hope this doesn’t come off as super harsh as that’s not what my intention is. Just trying to be constructive

EDIT- I almost forgot that hiring better writers is an absolute MUST. We need a good story
Princess Paige gets it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBryanBURNS View Post
No more skill tree.

No more ****ing bows and arrows.

No more stupid animal skins or tribal outfits or endless drab military garbage to wear.

No more rope mechanics being 90% of the game.

Oh and no more Reboot Lara or Tomb Raider. Burn it all to the ground and start over.
Guurl, yes! I love this sensical understanding!
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 18:29   #43
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Maybe only have her generally give insight to what she's thinking, like what AOD was going to do, a few tutorial-ish ones at the START of the game but no more after that.

But I guess that would require the player to think and thats not something we can do nowadays.
This. AoD was the near-perfect balance of isolation/no-talking and commentary.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-19, 18:40   #44
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
This. AoD was the near-perfect balance of isolation/no-talking and commentary.
I think a few of her cut ones (Such as "I forgot how much I missed this" during the Hall of seasons area of the game) should have been included.

But generally don't have her talking all the time, I'd even tolerate the possible overboard AOD was heading towards because those were at least genuine thoughts by Lara for the most part, rather than "I've GOT to open this door" (use mechanism that doesn't provide a view to that door. "Almost there."

At least give us actual insight/snark from Lara instead of "Hidden" tutorials like Zip and Allistair did in Legend, actual insight not thinly hidden objective hints because we apparently can't be trusted to think.

AOD at least kept its hint ones to the first handful of levels and a few bits where Lara climbed non-standard objects/textures.

Last edited by Samz; 24-04-19 at 18:42.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 16:57   #45
leomage

Quote:
At least give us actual insight/snark from Lara instead of "Hidden" tutorials like Zip and Allistair did in Legend, actual insight not thinly hidden objective hints because we apparently can't be trusted to think.

AOD at least kept its hint ones to the first handful of levels and a few bits where Lara climbed non-standard objects/textures.
This I agree with. Lara should talk/vocalise during gameplay when it makes sense and adds to her character. I think it was Melonie who mentioned that whenever Lara says something like "one side done, now for the other" a simple "aha!" would have been just as effective.

Tbh I'm okay with Lara giving the player some information provided it's the very first time the player has encountered that mechanic. For example, the first time a player comes across a movable block I wouldn't mind if Lara said "I might be able to move that". As long as, from that point on, she never says it again. I'd prefer that to survival instincts which gives everything away. Though we wouldn't need either if the devs were consistent with design and what kind of scenery is interactable.
leomage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 17:27   #46
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomage View Post
This I agree with. Lara should talk/vocalise during gameplay when it makes sense and adds to her character. I think it was Melonie who mentioned that whenever Lara says something like "one side done, now for the other" a simple "aha!" would have been just as effective.

Tbh I'm okay with Lara giving the player some information provided it's the very first time the player has encountered that mechanic. For example, the first time a player comes across a movable block I wouldn't mind if Lara said "I might be able to move that". As long as, from that point on, she never says it again. I'd prefer that to survival instincts which gives everything away. Though we wouldn't need either if the devs were consistent with design and what kind of scenery is interactable.
J'approve of all this.

Most of the time I'm bored of her just stating the obvious when nothing really needs to be said, like that example you gave of "one side done, now for the other" as if we don't have eyes.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 20:50   #47
Lara_Fan1

I'm more disappointed that she still continues to say pointless lines like that even with everything set on the highest difficulty.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-19, 23:42   #48
scremanie

I disagree with pretty much all of what you want to remove. I really enjoy the new style of gameplay, as I personally see it as a modernised version of the classics. Shadow had it almost perfected. I agree with most of what you want to add, but why do they have to remove certain features just to include some of the dated ones from back in the day?
For instance, I really like the cache collection and the way they’ve implemented the XP. If you want to make her a stronger character, you have to work for it. It allows players to really explore these environments, which is exactly what a Tomb Raider should be. The cool thing about most of these caches is that they’re completely optional for you. You’re not forced to get them, but if you want to build your skills, it’s something to enhance gameplay.

Now for treasure chests... why would we remove that? Lara is a treasure hunter, it’s the premise of her job. Also, once again, it adds to exploration and excitement of finding things, plus getting rewarded with tools to make your character stronger.

Breakable walls. Why would you remove them? We’re not held back by the limitations of the 90’s anymore. This mechanic would have been implemented in the classics no doubt about it. This adds to the sense of discovery and adventure, which is what this series is all about. Making the player feel like they’re the first ones to set foot in these ancient spaces for hundreds to thousands of years, and finding these hidden pathways and areas adds to that feeling. Why would you want to remove that?

I think the path that Shadow started to take was the right one for the series. It truly felt like a modernised Tomb Raider, and if the next game is anything similar to that, I’d be happy.

Last edited by scremanie; 28-04-19 at 23:43.
scremanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-19, 02:20   #49
VictorXD

I completely agree with scremanie. Though I have lots of complaints about the reboot, I don't want to see it completely erased it nor do I want TR to give 10 steps back in terms of its evolution. It's 2019, I can't believe some people are asking things like auto aim back.

I think the reboot has a lot of room for improvement, but reverting back to outdated gameplay and mechanics is absolutely not the answer. There are lots of things we can borrow/add again from the classics without sacrificing the franchise's evolution.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-19, 10:24   #50
killchan

at this point, the classic gameplay with just a few tweaks would look fresh and original compared to the stale reboot.

and btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scremanie View Post
The cool thing about most of these caches is that they’re completely optional for you. You’re not forced to get them, but if you want to build your skills, it’s something to enhance gameplay.
Then you should ask developers to add progressively stronger enemies, or better, specific mandatory parts of the game you can't reach unless you have a particular skill.
That should make mandatory for the player to go back and actually explore and unlock those skills and find new and more efficient weapons.

frigging POKEMON has that!

Last edited by killchan; 29-04-19 at 12:06.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote