Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 27-04-12, 14:20   #1
Tjw croft

Default 1st Map Interpretation Contest

When you look at this map, what do you see? A desert bowl? An island in the middle of the ocean? A lush green dip between mountains in India? Perhaps even a volcanic crater?

The Map Interpretation Contest is your chance to take the map above, and turn it into what YOU see in it. If you see that map as an ancient Indian temple, build it that way.

RULES:
* From above, when completed, your map should look similar to what is given to you in the picture at the top of this post.
* You may add tunnels or rooms underneath the map, or above the map if it seems logical.
* Additional rooms MUST NOT extend beyond the 36 by 36 area that is the original map. You can go up and down, not out.
* Dotted lines indicate features that have not been strictly predetermined for a specific placement. This means that as long as those lines are generally in the same area in your game, that's okay.
*Solid lines are less okay to be tampered with. If you have an idea to expand a structure slightly, then okay. Try to not modify the solid lines if possible.
*No deadline has been given yet. I will announce it when time gets closer.
*Builders may present screenshots, videos and other media that will be part of their level if they so choose to.
* Gameplay is not required, but may add to the score of your level.
* Builders will turn in: The last .prj version of the level. A playable version with correct script.dat and english.dat. The .tga file used. The wads used. A credits.txt, describing who the players owe object and outfit credits to.

Levels will be graded on the following:
*30 points for originality. I don't want to see a dozen variations on the same idea.
*30 points for creativity. Did you just build the map, or did you add to it underneath, etc?
*20 points for cleanliness/neatness. Is your level done shoddily, does it use the right WAD, does the outfit match the setting or did you just use the default tr4 outfit?
*10 points for completion. Is it completed on time, does it lack chunks of the level?
*10 points for proper files turned in. See the final point. If you're missing any of those, you loose points for this.

Entrants:

*Larafan25
*Teme9
*Sking
*Joey79100
*AgentXP
*Moodydog
*Zebra

If you'd like to join, please sign up in the sign up thread, to avoid cluttering this one.

Last edited by Tjw croft; 06-05-12 at 16:01.
Tjw croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 14:30   #2
larafan25

I'm doing this theme, I don't know what it is.

It's like...a swampy place...I guess...with no swamp...and trees and maybe it's somewhere in Asia.

I built the map and the specific features...now I just have to do something with it.

larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 14:32   #3
Soul
Golden

^I think that the lighting is way too yellow, as I hardly see any yellow light sources in your pictures.
Apart from that i really like it though
Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 14:39   #4
larafan25

The sun is yellow, right?

I wanted a yellowy-green colour with dat fog.

I might mess around with the lighting some more though, thanks.
Old 27-04-12, 14:51   #5
Soul
Golden

I don't see how sun should be able to pass your thick distance fog - it may be just the perspective in those two screens though.
Maybe making it slightly less yellow and more white will help
Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 15:01   #6
larafan25

More like this maybe?

Old 27-04-12, 16:12   #7
Bradley23170

Well personnaly, I liked the yellow ambiance. It gives sense of heat and more tropical climate, while without, it just reminds me of the boring mid european climat...
Bradley23170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 16:20   #8
Raider99

Greenish will fit more,because there are many grass,trees etc.
And yellow of course,but it won't fit very much,let's try both!
Raider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 16:29   #9
Bradley23170

Basicly, try experimenting with different ambience lighting. Wichever one you think looks best you take. I don't think you should leave it so bland though
Bradley23170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-12, 16:33   #10
Titak

One important factor in the whole atmosphere of that area is that distant fog.

The current lighting fits that colour fog better than the more yellowish lighting which looks too warm and saturated compared to the fog.

If it is supposed to look more hot and humid in that area, like the tropics perhaps, the yellow lighting could work with a differently coloured fog.

So experimenting with the lighting is not enough.
The fog colour should also be taken into account.

Last edited by Titak; 27-04-12 at 20:19. Reason: typo...
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote