www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 18-05-16, 08:07   #7861
xLara_Nathanx
Relic Hunter
 
xLara_Nathanx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Posts: 6,079
Default

^ I agree partially with your point, but when I talked about execution, I was talking about the cliche thing... Just look at the side characters in TReboot.

Anyways, let's not turn this thread into TR vs. UC.
__________________
Alicia Godkander.
xLara_Nathanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 08:41   #7862
Bomb Fighter
Professor
 
Bomb Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 4,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLara_Nathanx View Post
^ I agree partially with your point, but when I talked about execution, I was talking about the cliche thing... Just look at the side characters in TReboot.

Anyways, let's not turn this thread into TR vs. UC.
I agree about the side characters in the Reboot. They were as stereotypical as it gets. The thing is that while UC was always based on cliches we grew immune to them in ND games. While in the reboot they were much more present than before in any TR game so I guess that's why we are so sensitive towards it when it comes to TR. It got better with Rise imo.

But yes, no point in starting a TR vs. UC battle. I just wanted to point out that the "family business" felt a little out of place and unneccessary for me.
__________________
That don't impress me much...uh uh oOoh.
Bomb Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 09:06   #7863
PS3_Gamer
Historian
 
PS3_Gamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 472
Default

I'm now at chapter 12 and I still love the game so far, except for maybe two chapters I appreciated less, but that's no big deal. I've read that the last five chapters are harder with a rather big difficulty spike, so I hope i'm not too dissapointed with that as I find the game's difficulty was just fine up to chapter 12 where I am now.
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 09:26   #7864
Phlip
Inactive
 
Phlip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: England ♂
Posts: 31,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy123 View Post
Did anyone else think Rafe was hot?
Hell yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Not until his hair was a mess at the end.
Particularly yes.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 09:57   #7865
dcw123
Relic Hunter
 
dcw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England, UK Gender:Male
Posts: 7,318
Default

Still feel ND pulled of the parent thing better than Crystal did.

Mainly because Nate and his bro didn't winge and cry about the entire thing mainly - they sucked it up.. and it made them what there are today.
They didn't bang on about it every 5 minutes like Lara did.
Mentioned it once or twice, and got on with adventure and it became the backstory - the reason why they do what they do.. without mentioning it head on.

There were literally tons of TR references in that house (white text)
From what I recall..

Egyptain paintings and a giant golden Sarcophagus TR4
Chinese paintings, Giant Tibetian Gong and Warrior Armour, Xian Magaxine cover - TR2
Lots of painting of wrecked ships - Reboot
General look of house, English Tudor in parts despite being set in U.S - Classic Manor (especially those wooden beams and outside gardens)
African? Masks and statues - similar to TR3's coastal levels
Inca statue - Straight out of Peru TR1


There were more but I forget..
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 10:00   #7866
tiann
Professor
 
tiann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Still feel ND pulled of the parent thing better than Crystal did.

Mainly because Nate and his bro didn't winge and cry about the entire thing mainly - they sucked it up.. and it made them what there are today.
They didn't bang on about it every 5 minutes like Lara did.
Mentioned it once or twice, and got on with adventure and it became the backstory - the reason why they do what they do.. without mentioning it head on.

There were literally tons of TR references in that house (white text)
From what I recall..

Egyptain paintings and a giant golden Sarcophagus TR4
Chinese paintings, Giant Tibetian Gong and Warrior Armour, Xian Magaxine cover - TR2
Lots of painting of wrecked ships - Reboot
General look of house, English Tudor in parts despite being set in U.S - Classic Manor (especially those wooden beams and outside gardens)
African? Masks and statues - similar to TR3's coastal levels
Inca statue - Straight out of Peru TR1


There were more but I forget..
the awful water splashing animation when the characters wade in shallow water was a homage to TR's PS1 graphics...
__________________
Screw that Hogwarts acceptance letter, I want a Dark Baptism!
tiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 10:21   #7867
Hazelphoenix
Professor
 
Hazelphoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Italy
Posts: 2,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Still feel ND pulled of the parent thing better than Crystal did.

Mainly because Nate and his bro didn't winge and cry about the entire thing mainly - they sucked it up.. and it made them what there are today.
They didn't bang on about it every 5 minutes like Lara did.
Mentioned it once or twice, and got on with adventure and it became the backstory - the reason why they do what they do.. without mentioning it head on.
Basically, this. Mum's backstory never became the main objective, it was just additional info about their past that ND decided to put in this game because it was the conclusion of Nate's story. It wasn't all over the place, and that's probably also thanks to ND's top-notch execution.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 10:57   #7868
Bomb Fighter
Professor
 
Bomb Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 4,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3_Gamer View Post
I'm now at chapter 12 and I still love the game so far, except for maybe two chapters I appreciated less, but that's no big deal. I've read that the last five chapters are harder with a rather big difficulty spike, so I hope i'm not too dissapointed with that as I find the game's difficulty was just fine up to chapter 12 where I am now.
There are only two pain-in-the-ass fights imo. One was an absolute worst in the whole franchise imo and in the second one you just need to remember that backtracking and higher grounds are you friends. Oh, and granades! I played on hard.
__________________
That don't impress me much...uh uh oOoh.
Bomb Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 11:28   #7869
dcw123
Relic Hunter
 
dcw123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: England, UK Gender:Male
Posts: 7,318
Default

^ OMG that fight - I died SO many times it was unreal - trying to stay in cover and swinging all over the place LOL
Loved how that section felt so TR Reboot Beta - how Reboot should have looked but didn't because it was changed

EDIT: Anyone else having MP problems?
For some reason daily challenges don't work - nothing new appears and I always see 'Come back tomorrow'.
The other day it only refreshed one, not three.

A few times when loading a match - the background ''level'' doesn't load and just shows a black space with lights floating round.. and then nothing happens - loads a black screen with the BGM playing..

EDIT: That Nate's Theme 4.0 is amazing - yet somehow sounds so sad - never heard this in-game (variations of the theme play a little but not the whole thing) why this didn't play in the Main Menu was weird.

Last edited by dcw123; 18-05-16 at 11:59.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-16, 11:58   #7870
Bomb Fighter
Professor
 
Bomb Fighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 4,363
Default

Chapter 19 was the worst.

This link should be considered porn, so beware. And spoilers.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1X9LL
__________________
That don't impress me much...uh uh oOoh.
Bomb Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.