www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 11-01-15, 15:39   #101
Ifrit61
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Yes, it seems that this PC demo from the first video was built about that time when my PSX beta was leaked; however, mine was full version, not a demo, and I had successfully completed it, i. e. there were no critical bugs in levels, so I suppose it was one of the latest TR3 beta leaks.
Well, that's interesting.
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 17:04   #102
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Yes, it seems that this PC demo from the first video was built about that time when my PSX beta was leaked; however, mine was full version, not a demo, and I had successfully completed it, i. e. there were no critical bugs in levels, so I suppose it was one of the latest TR3 beta leaks.
Tomb Raider III beta versions are quite rare. With the information you provided it's suggestive you're probably remembering it wrong. I'm confused as to how that build could have had the roll animation whilst crawling if it got cut way before the game was fully playable.

There is a full build dated around the PC Jungle Demo and it has All Hallows after Thames Wharf plus several other interesting differences including the item pickup notifier. If it went to Russian bootlegs then it's most likely a press preview build of the game. Because it was fully playable it hints it will have been around the end of development because Eidos only distribued full versions of the game around that time. Anything prior will have been demo-like preview builds. Perhaps it's this build I have suggested or maybe not.

Regards.
Old 11-01-15, 17:30   #103
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Yes, lot of time passed since then (unfortunately, I gave my PSX along with all discs to my nephew around 2000, and eventually they were lost), but what I clearly remember for 100% is that there was pick-up notifier, and there was no All Hallows after Thames Wharf.

Now I'm not sure about crawlspace roll... When I saw that TR3 also contains that animation (and you can indeed use it in OpenTomb), I somewhat remembered that occasionally I used this move in TR3... or was it TR4, or TR5? (I owned TR5 beta anyway, but I returned it to shop because I thought that it was russian pirates who removed voiceovers in FMVs )
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-15, 17:43   #104
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Yes, lot of time passed since then (unfortunately, I gave my PSX along with all discs to my nephew around 2000, and eventually they were lost), but what I clearly remember for 100% is that there was pick-up notifier, and there was no All Hallows after Thames Wharf.

Now I'm not sure about crawlspace roll... When I saw that TR3 also contains that animation (and you can indeed use it in OpenTomb), I somewhat remembered that occasionally I used this move in TR3... or was it TR4, or TR5? (I owned TR5 beta anyway, but I returned it to shop because I thought that it was russian pirates who removed voiceovers in FMVs )
Indeed, TR3 Final build has the crawlspace roll animation. I'm glad it works within OpenTomb I enabled it within the original engine which suggests it got removed because you could literally roll down slopes. So a build with no All Hallows after Thames Wharf and pickup notifier present suggests it was most likely dated Mid October 1998. Do you recall the gun ammo font being white and the Shotgun being the same as final? I know the build that has All Hallows after Thames Wharf has TR2 shotgun so it might be more evidence it's after the build I previously suggested. Nevertheless, it's highly likely they'll emerge in the future to come.
Old 11-01-15, 17:49   #105
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Absolutely, shotgun was new, same as final. I remember that back then I thought it looked too "modern" for TR! Not sure about fonts, however.

It's so painful that such rare beta got out of my hands for no particular reason...

Last edited by Lwmte; 11-01-15 at 17:52.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 17:33   #106
b122251
Explorer

Added the PSX beta of the Times Exclusive Level.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 17:59   #107
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
Added the PSX beta of the Times Exclusive Level.
Great addition. I LOVE this demo.
Old 16-01-15, 18:14   #108
Ifrit61
Student

Gh0stblade released that demo some time ago, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway I noticed that there is also a TR3 demo for PSX which features the Area 51 beta, which is missing in this list.
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 19:57   #109
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifrit61 View Post
Gh0stblade released that demo some time ago, if I'm not wrong.
Anyway I noticed that there is also a TR3 demo for PSX which features the Area 51 beta, which is missing in this list.
That's true. I'm still working on isolating that demo. It's a bit tricky but I'll get it done, and when I do, I'll add it to the list.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-15, 20:34   #110
Zavi
Student

The Area 51 demo can only (I think) can be accessed through one of those multi demo disc launcher things.

Spoiler:

I cannot remember the code exactly, but there is a debug code is the Area 51 demo. Hold down L1+R1+Triangle+Circle (I think) then fly cheat will be activated and swim around the level.

EDIT: It is L1+R2+X+O. Try it, it works!!!

Last edited by Zavi; 16-01-15 at 20:39.
Zavi is offline   Reply With Quote