www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 28-08-19, 09:45   #1
Plesiosaur
Hobbyist

Default Sounds missing in Tomb editor

Hi!
I have a problem that some of the sounds, most notably Lara shooting her revolver/sixshooter and pots shattering, are entirely missing when I test play my project.

Unfortunately I only noticed after I'd already built a lot in Tomb Editor, so I can't tell for certain when the sounds went missing (and it appears there's only a few sounds missing, because most other sounds of Lara or enemies moving function normally).

I've looked at the sound paths in the level settings, and most of them are set to Sounds/tr4/samples, but there are a lot of paths and I don't know which ones is and isn't working.

How can I fix the sixshooter and shatter sounds?
Plesiosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-19, 11:07   #2
TR-Freak
Professor

do you use Wad2 or Wad for your objects?
For Wad2, you should wait for the next major update of TE, since it gets a sound system revamp.
For Wad, you need to compile the sounds for the specific wad you are using like in the plain TRLE/NGLE workflow by executing pcwadsfx
Old 28-08-19, 11:22   #3
Plesiosaur
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
do you use Wad2 or Wad for your objects?
For Wad2, you should wait for the next major update of TE, since it gets a sound system revamp.
For Wad, you need to compile the sounds for the specific wad you are using like in the plain TRLE/NGLE workflow by executing pcwadsfx
I'm using a regular wad for my objects, so how do I fix it?
Old 28-08-19, 11:53   #4
Titak

Exclamation

Tomb Editor is used, so thread moved to Tomb Editor section.
Old 29-08-19, 18:46   #5
Plesiosaur
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Tomb Editor is used, so thread moved to Tomb Editor section.
Ok, sorry about posting in the wrong thread!

Quote:
How can I execute pcwadfix? I can't find it in the TRLE or NGLE manual.
Old 30-08-19, 10:07   #6
Dustie
Relic Hunter

it's pcwadSFX and yes it is in the manual, there is also a sound tutorial here on TRF in the tutorials section, it's worth reading

this might be caused by 2 things, either sounds are not "fixed" in the TrCatalog.xml file and are shuffled around by TE at compilation or they are not added to your WAD.

look for the TrCatalog.xml file in TE folder and open it in a good text editor like Notepad++, find the TR4 section and find the entries for the sounds which are missing, check if they have fixed_by_default="true" part added in their lines

adding sounds to the WAD requires rebuilding sfx/sam files for it, this is done through pcwadsfx, but first you need to find the missing sounds in sounds.txt and add the letter of your WAD at the end of those lines (if you used tut1 then use the tut1 letter, if something else then some other letter, etc). if your WAD has a custom name then you can use any of the existing letters for it anyway, just follow the syntax of the .bat file for pcwadsfx. the way this works is that the letters are like checkboxes for which sound is supposed to be included in the sfx/sam files (and thus in the WAD), but sounds.txt only has sounds checked for Core's levels, so any extra sounds that you need you need to check yourself.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 15:05   #7
Plesiosaur
Hobbyist

Quote:
look for the TrCatalog.xml file in TE folder and open it in a good text editor like Notepad++, find the TR4 section and find the entries for the sounds which are missing, check if they have fixed_by_default="true" part added in their lines
I tried opening the TrCatalog document, and when I looked at it, the fixed_by_default="true" bit was next to the "Lara fire" sound (it is the sound for her sixshooter animation, right?).

Anyway, when I first started building the project, the gun sounds seemed to work normally, and when I've tried importing and playing the default tutorial levels included in the TRLE the sounds worked normally.

Quote:
it's pcwadSFX and yes it is in the manual, there is also a sound tutorial here on TRF in the tutorials section, it's worth reading
Ok, I've been looking at the NGLE manual page at Skribblerz, but couldn't find pcwadSFX mentioned in any of the sound pages, or in the tutorial list here either.

I've found the .sfx in the folder of my wad (I'm using a custom wad in a different folder for my project) but I don't know what to do with it?
Old 30-08-19, 15:18   #8
JMN
Historian

Here's a link explaining how it works:

http://www.skribblerz.com/NGLEManual.../ngle105x.html

There's also the original TRLE pdf manual in the Manual folder that might be useful.
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 15:34   #9
Plesiosaur
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
Here's a link explaining how it works:

http://www.skribblerz.com/NGLEManual.../ngle105x.html

There's also the original TRLE pdf manual in the Manual folder that might be useful.
I tried double clicking the SFX_Example.bat in the TRLE/Sound/LevelSFX Creator folder like it said in the link, but it made no difference.
Old 30-08-19, 21:23   #10
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Because that's might not be enough, if your WAD is missing the sixshooter sound it needs to be added to its sfx/sam files, but you need to edit sounds.txt first OR go with a letter which already is assigned to that sound.

If you look into SFX_Example.bat (open it in notepad) it has such entries:
Code:
pcwadsfx tut1     d
which roughly means run pcwadsfx.exe and add all sounds marked with d in sounds.txt to tut1 WAD

then it has instructions copying the resulting sfx and sam files back to graphics/wads/ folder where WADs are usually stored (you will need to copy them to wherever your WAD is) and delete the leftover duplicates

you have to follow that and adjust the bat file or even make your own, tailored to your WAD.

It's not too straightforward but this is the simplest I can put it

Sometimes sounds get messed up when editing your WAD in WadMerger, which is known to be buggy in this regard. It could be that some edits you made ereased the sounds from it..

Last edited by Dustie; 30-08-19 at 21:25.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote