Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 29-10-18, 09:38   #13601
Soma Holiday

Just realized the movie has 4.5 stars on Amazon out of 5! That's higher than alot of higher profile films!
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-18, 09:33   #13602
ccroft2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
Just realized the movie has 4.5 stars on Amazon out of 5! That's higher than a lot of higher profile films!
It's also been rated 4.5/5 on Facebook and 88% on Google!
ccroft2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 13:21   #13603
PinkyPromise

51 in RT
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 13:30   #13604
James_Rutland

Such a shame that this film was 9% off being the first and only fresh video-game adaption. It was so close. I think if they done away with some of the corny daddy stuff, made it a bit gritter, and kept Sam but developed her better that it would have been more of a success critically. Kept Richard in, but toned it down. Maybe have him as a hallucination in Yamatai rather than an actual character. Now the hype has died down I still don't actually think it's a bad film - it's just not as good as it could have been. As always, the script held it back.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 01-11-18 at 13:49.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 15:06   #13605
Ellioft

If some of the indians reviews talking about Alicia boobs weren't accepted I'm sure this movie could have been at 60%
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 08:30   #13606
GeekOfComedy

Smile

I’m feeling a tiny bit More confident that we could get a sequel because while there was a lot of talk about this film bombing, it still tripled its budget.

Meanwhile Keira knightly, Morgan Freeman and Helen mirren along with Disney and a brand like the nutcracker couldn’t save the movie. Now that is a flop! It opened lower than tomb raider at 20M but costed 36M more to make and its international numbers are so low it probably would be lucky to make 150M overall but it needs 360M to triple.

So tomb raiders box office isn’t looking so bad after all. And poor Taron Edgerton is about to release another bad flop with Robin Hood. Girl in the dragon tattoo isn’t doing well either and it just shows there is value in the tomb raider brand in that it does amazing numbers internationally.

However I was still thinking why didn’t this film connect with mainstream audiences with that mediocre cinema score. So i wanted to figure out who mainstream think Lara Croft is and I’m sorry to say, at Halloween every gal dressed up as angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. Very few dressed up as reboot/vikander Lara. Not even classic video game Lara but the iconic top and shorts angie wore in the robot fight sequence.

Maybe the new film was missing that iconography that we have to face is universally loved and it might need to go back down that route in future instalments. If they do get a sequel, it would be wise for Vikander to think about donning shorts. I think if she commited and has agency in the decision to wear them, there won’t be too many harsh critics.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 09-11-18 at 08:34.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 08:46   #13607
Ellioft

Vikander's Lara does have a short in the beggining of the movie (on the boxing ring) but it's more practical than sexy.

I hope we will see Alicia with the Rise red mountain jacket

The Nutcracker, honestly I'm not surprised about this flop, I wasn't interested (not because it's a ballet) but because the artistic direction look too much like Alice in Underland...

Disney this year doesn't have been exciting for me and the next year eighter because outside a bunch of remakes no one where asked for (the mother****ing Cash Grab King ) a sequel for Frozen and another bunch of super heros movies there is nothing fresh.

We are back in the Eisner period when live action remakes and sequels worked for Disney. Even the Incredibles 2 looked like a direct to DVD sequel in term of the story...

Last edited by Ellioft; 09-11-18 at 09:06.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-18, 20:34   #13608
TrustyBow

I've seen a lot of people cosplay as reboot Lara. I think it's fairly memorable. Also yeah, I think we have a chance at a sequel. The benefit of Tomb Raider is that it doesn't really need to be incredibly expensive to make. It can be made for under $100 million but can still be marketed as a blockbuster film. That immediately put's it above all the other female led movies with triple the budget.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 00:30   #13609
PinkyPromise

GK Films has had great success with bohemian rhapsody (the first success in a lot of time). Maybe they prefer to bet on original material.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-18, 00:56   #13610
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
GK Films has had great success with bohemian rhapsody (the first success in a lot of time). Maybe they prefer to bet on original material.
Bohemian Rhapsody was also a much, MUCH better advertised movie, and is about one of the biggest music stars that ever existed. I wouldn't even called it original material, it's still a movie about someone who actually existed, not something entirely new.

The low budget also helps, of course, not only from a BO/Budget ratio, but also in maybe allowing for more money to be spent on advertisement.

Just gives me more reasons to think that the best option for a sequel would still be a lower budgeted (maybe between 60M to 75M) movie, but with a budget planning and better marketing.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote