www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 12-03-10, 01:59   #21
stonesxxi
Hobbyist

I hope it isn't too late to post a solution.

The game crashes after that particular cutscene. Before the moment in which Dreamfall crashes, hit the "ESC" button on your keyboard. Go to the "video" menu and change it to "low quality." 2 things should say "high" in video. Change it to low.

If this is done right, the game should properly transition to the next cutscene.

After changing the options to "low" instead of high, change it back to "high" and go back to your regular settings as the next cutscene occurs. This way, you should be able to continue playing the game.

Graphics Quality: low
Video quality: low

The game crashes at the very beginning of the cutscene depending on video settings. Just make sure the settings are changed at the very beginning. A certain effect in the very beginning of the cutscene causes the game to crash, but it is video related.

Last edited by stonesxxi; 12-03-10 at 02:01.
stonesxxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-21, 04:45   #22
LateRaider
Professor

I know I should know better than to post in this old thread, but I just bought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Game of the Year Edition (on DVD-ROM) by Aspyr. I ran into the same launch errors on Windows 10. I have a solution that I want to post in as many places as possible.

I had to locate an updated EXE; this launches my retail disc copy just fine.

In case anyone in the future runs into the problem of loading up their retail disc copy of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey on DVD or CD, please do the following.

1. Install Dreamfall: TLJ as normal from your disc(s).
2. Download this modified EXE: here.
3. Extract it to your game installation directory, replacing your retail disc EXE.
4. Launch the game. It should load properly.

Please excuse this post, mods, as I don't know where else to share this solution.

Last edited by LateRaider; 28-12-21 at 08:54.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-21, 19:27   #23
Salem150
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
I know I should know better than to post in this old thread, but I just bought Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - Game of the Year Edition (on DVD-ROM) by Aspyr. I ran into the same issue on Windows 10. I have a solution that I want to post in as many places as possible.

I had to locate an updated EXE; this launches my retail disc copy just fine.

In case anyone in the future runs into the problem of loading up their retail disc copy of Dreamfall: The Longest Journey on DVD or CD, please do the following.

1. Install Dreamfall: TLJ as normal from your disc(s).
2. Download this modified EXE: here.
3. Extract it to your game installation directory, replacing your retail disc EXE.
4. Launch the game. It should load properly.

Please excuse this post, mods, as I don't know where else to share this solution.
not trying to be rude but all of these solutions can be found here no need to post it in TRF:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dr...ongest_Journey

i hope this helps and you will find others games theres too, maybe in the future you ran into a problem Pcgamingwiki has everything there if needed any help for any PC game
Salem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-21, 21:12   #24
LateRaider
Professor

"all of these solutions?" there are currently 2 solutions on pc gaming wiki.

1. one that didn't work when i tried it (run in compatibility mode and as admin), and
2. one that i just added there myself yesterday, which is "use the fixed EXE."

solution 2 even links directly to the post i made in this TRF thread, lol. if you had clicked on, or even hovered over the link (Where it says "Download the fixed exe here"), you probably would've realized that.

thanks for your post anyway though

Last edited by LateRaider; 21-12-21 at 21:19.
Old 21-12-21, 22:42   #25
Salem150
Student

im very sorry i should have read and checked everything before commenting. thanks for the solution by the way.

Last edited by Salem150; 22-12-21 at 03:44.
Salem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-21, 08:44   #26
LateRaider
Professor

I've been further investigating Dreamfall's issues, and in fact through experimenting I've discovered how to fix the problems rebel47 and nik1983 were having a decade ago, with ZoŽ and Damien stuck walking in place during that cutscene. I'm not sure how helpful this will be for the Steam version due to its always-on DRM, but for the GOG and retail versions, you can:

1. Do as the PC Gaming Wiki says: Enable Compatibility with "Windows 98 / Windows Me" and "Run as administrator" in the properties of dreamfall.exe - (It's recommended to do this regardless of which of these solutions you choose.) This doesn't just fix the Windows 10 Boot Camp error, but this cutscene problem, too. In about 5-30 seconds, characters will eventually progress.

2. Lose focus of the game by either Alt+Tabbing in and out of the game, or pressing the Windows key and then clicking the app in the taskbar to resume gameplay.

3. Simply press Print Screen to kickstart the cutscene process again.

A lot of places have said to change graphics options before this cutscene, but pressing Print Screen is a much less intrusive option--especially for a streamer. I've added these solutions to the PC Gaming Wiki as well. Better late then never, I suppose.

Last edited by LateRaider; 28-12-21 at 12:44.