www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 01-07-20, 06:46   #11
Mek
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
The PS3 was first released at the end of 2006 while Legend came out in April. The Xbox360 had been on the shelves since November 2005.

Legend was originally slated for a late 2005 release, to come out on PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox. The game was actually delayed for the Xbox360 port, they couldn't delay it a second time because another next gen console came out.
I actually think it would be OK if the game was released as it was, on April 7, 2006 and its PlayStation 3 version in November 2006 when PlayStation 3 came out. These are at least several months for development so it feels sufficient for just making a port of the game. PS3 had plenty of launch titles so it was possible to work on the game before the release of the console itself, please correct me if I am wrong. No need for a delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Additionally Tomb Raider has been playing platform favourite since the start. The first game came out on PS1 and Sega Saturn, but Sony quickly snapped up an exclusivity deal so console versions of TR would be exclusive to the Playstation.

TR4 was only ported to Sega Dreamcast in the year 2000, well after its PS1 release.
You are right and this is exactly why I wrote "to such an extent" in the post. Because Tomb Raider Legend was released for many platforms but the right and best version was only for Xbox 360. All other versions were inferior. Yes, it's true that the PC also had the next gen, but I will quote Caesum at the end of the post to explain why it does not equal the Xbox 360 version. Moreover, there was even a special trailer for the Xbox versions. I would argue that these actions favour one platform, the Xbox platform, more than if the game was exclusive to it: there are comparisons made between the platforms and people immediately see the difference between PlayStation and the Xbox and have the wow effect for the Xbox 360 even if they know that PlayStation 2 is old gen and Xbox 360 is the next gen. Did it happen in the past in the Tomb Raider series, before Tomb Raider Legend, that there were versions for many platforms, but only one was so different and the best like with the Xbox 360 version? I don't know about it, if it had happened, please tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Next-gen on xbox 360 was gorgeous though. It was the PC version that was broken beyond hope. X360 never had any of PC's issues.

Last edited by Mek; 01-07-20 at 07:28.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-20, 08:46   #12
Boobandie
Professor

I didn't mean to imply they couldn't do it, just that there was no incentive to and the surrounding circumstances worked against the idea. Legend was primarily built for PC, Playstation 2, and Xbox. The Xbox360 version (and the resulting last minute Next-Gen mode port on PC because they already had the assets) were essentially a bonus.

Could they have ported the game to the PS3 after release? Sure. However for some reason they chose not to, and as these are business decisions it probably boils down to money. Their TR team had already been split in two and were simultaneously working on Anniversary and Underworld. They would have had to either pull resources from those projects to make a PS3 port of Legend after the game essentially had already made the bulk of its money, or hire another studio to port it like they eventually did. Costing time and money for a port that would ultimately be aimed at gamers that had probably already bought and played Legend on the PS2 less than a year earlier.

Add to that the difficulty of PS3 ports v Xbox ports. The vast majority of games are built on Windows PCs, and Microsoft took advantage of that when making the Xbox. They designed the framework to be similar enough that porting games across was relatively straightforward. However the PS3 was an entirely different language altogether, and it apparently handled resources in such a strange way that even Sony didn't make the PS4 backwards compatible.

While their Underworld team was working with PS3 code in order to make their true next-gen game, the code branch of their engine had evolved and changed since the version used in Legend and therefore would still be a massive job to port it even in 2007/2008. Maybe the Anniversary team could have done it but they were also tasked with building a game twice the size of Legend in half the time, with far fewer developers and a fraction of the budget. Even the 360 version of Anniversary is basically just the PS2/PC version with a couple of minor graphical enhancements like water reflections from Legend's 360 version, and it too didn't get a PS3 port on release. Eidos didn't even spend that much on marketing for Anniversary, which is arguably the biggest contributor to its poor sales at the time.

Finally after Underworld was released and Buzz Monkey had finished the wii/ps2 ports in early 2009, they tasked Buzz Monkey to port Legend and Anniversary to PS3 for a trilogy rerelease.

Honestly, it sucks that PS3 ports didn't come out sooner but these games were built cutting so many corners that I can understand why it didn't happen until 2011.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-20, 22:30   #13
Samz
Relic Hunter

So are these villagers also missing on the 360 Next gen version? or is it just another PC issue?

Next-Gen looks kinda better in some areas but I do personally prefer the last gen asthetic, I know one thing that I noticed kinda quickly (After only playing the 360 version my uncle owned for the longest time) is that the Assault rifle seems to actually be based on two different assault rifles depending on your version which kinda bothered me more than it should since every other gun looks like it's at least based on the same firearm. (Yes I am a nerd about these details.)

Those pink sunglasses on the white catsuit are definitely something I can live without.
Old 05-07-20, 08:33   #14
Mek
Student

Boobandie, thanks for explaining this. You gave more insight regarding the issue. I hope that the console favouritism is finally over in the Tomb Raider franchise. Fortunately, Shadow of the Tomb Raider was released on the same day for all major platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
So are these villagers also missing on the 360 Next gen version? or is it just another PC issue?
They are missing in the Xbox 360 version - I've checked it on YouTube. So there is at least one thing exclusive to the last gen version, something that is its advantage, a tiny one, but present.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote