Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 17-02-15, 22:57   #511
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
Well I have tried setting my nglide resolution to 640x480 just to see if that would work. It still stretches it though even though I have it set to 4:3 in the options on nglide.
My moniters native resolution is 1920x1080
My graphics card is the Asus GTX 770
My glide wrapper is Nglide which came preinstalled with version 1.7.2.
hmm :scratching perplexed cerebrum: this IS strange
is this a laptop? or an external monitor connected? windows 7, 8 or what?
anyway

640x480 4:3 is fine, you could get to 1400x1050 4:3 tops, but that's not the point now if aspect ratio gets messed up
btw it seems you're not the only one
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...fault-str.html
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...ect-ratio.html
https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...ing-problem/1/
more problems than solutions there as you can see

now, in nVidia control panel there ought to be an option for the general handling of aspect ratio, can you find it?
some blah-blah like: Adjust Desktop Size and Position/Use Nvidia Scaling with fixed-aspect Ratio or some other to that effect

it's true at times a driver update may bring havoc on some features, not that it breaks "everything" but sure it can cause some damage and in my experience at times a rollback to an earlier driver version was the proper workaround funny as it may seem
after all this is just why modded (eg from laptop2go/laptopvideo2go site) drivers, for laptops mostly, are some windfall sometimes...

but then to begin with a simple check you can do right away, a conflict is possible among glide2x.dll versions
this should never happen, but just in case be sure to see that the only version of that dll which is in use is the one nGlide provides
as I said this is not expected, but
the fastest of all the possible ways to go about it that I can think of is
manually delete glide*.dll from \tombraider and from \windows\system32 folders (better check on \windows\SysWoW64 too if it's a x64 machine) then uninstall/reinstall nGlide 1.03 setup (no need to do that for the installer too)
so making sure only the right dll is in use

last gimmick: in the 3 \tombraider\*.conf files
[render] section
try and set aspect=true

if now the problem's still there, well no more question of possible dll conflict and it all falls back to gfx driver bad handling of the "keep aspect ratio constant" feature.

HTH and get back to me anytime.

Last edited by gidierre; 18-02-15 at 00:27.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-15, 00:51   #512
ToMbRaIdErxFtW

Thanks alot Dustie and Gidierre I figured out that the issue was to do with the Nvidia control panel. I went in to the control panel and I found some options that allowed me to change how my GPU scales stuff to my screen. What stupid me did ages ago was set it to stretch because at the time I prefered it (I know, I know). Anyway I set it back to scale to the aspect ratio and now it works perfectly. Thanks alot for you help

Last edited by ToMbRaIdErxFtW; 18-02-15 at 00:52.
ToMbRaIdErxFtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-15, 20:30   #513
Dustie

Funnily enough I have the exact same panel, since I also have an nVidia card

I'm glad it works for you now.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-15, 20:37   #514
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMbRaIdErxFtW View Post
the issue was to do with the Nvidia control panel. I went in to the control panel and I found some options
good
and thx for the useful screenshot
the crux of the matter is just that Override the scaling mode checkbox you showed
which afair I hadn't seen in earlier versions of the nVidia control panel

since it's all about who overrides who this explains why eg nGlide happened to play "the overridden overrider" there so to speak
if that had been unchecked you/we surely weren't even going to be any wiser about it

Last edited by gidierre; 18-02-15 at 20:39.
Old 20-02-15, 09:51   #515
Famicom

A little quiestion here:

Is "Tomekkobialka's Tomb Raider 1 Rerendered Soundtrack" optional in your installer?
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-15, 20:15   #516
gidierre
Grease Monkey

nope and for a reason: not to fatten up the already overfed 360+ MB beast any plumper lest it burst on me x.x

you know each time I concocted an update of this (and at all times trusting it was going to be the last of it) I wondered if it was worthwhile and if features could be optional/reversible without undermining the attributes of straightforwardness and userfriendliness which are paramount to me

sometimes it's really a cinch to make up an option, mostly thx to Inno Setup being so helpful with its ready-made routines and all
sometimes not

in this case the options to.. opt for optionality boil down to these

adding the alternate rerendered cue/bin to the bulk, of course granting an easy way to swap between deafult and rerendered at will
no big deal really except for a little big con namely effectively doubling the size of the download to a humongous 700+ MB

other than that, delivering the excerpted new soundtrack files Tommekobialka created, providing a tool like CDMage or whatever to edit the pristine cdrom image (the .bin file) not without a backup if it must be reverted... not a thing to implement within the installer
this can all be done at ease manually step by step after installing, needless to say: it will be enough to get v1.7.1 (no rerendered soundtrack), then Tomekkobialka's set, then patiently slaving away at retreading Tomekkobialka's hard work to make the new image...

if it has to come to that, finally why not use the tool Tomekkobialka himself made that delivers just that, a simple guided little app to do this swapping?

Too bad (for me) it doesn't suit v1.7.2, it would if anything do v1.7.1, then again one would still have to download all the tracks in advance...

I guess this explains why in the end I found no way out of the maze or not the easy one I was after so went and worked out 1.7.2 the way I did, no options and that's it.
Or maybe this just explains I hit the wall and was unable to find the elusive optionality trick

Last edited by gidierre; 20-02-15 at 20:24.
Old 21-02-15, 11:27   #517
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
nope and for a reason: not to fatten up the already overfed 360+ MB beast any plumper lest it burst on me x.x

you know each time I concocted an update of this (and at all times trusting it was going to be the last of it) I wondered if it was worthwhile and if features could be optional/reversible without undermining the attributes of straightforwardness and userfriendliness which are paramount to me

sometimes it's really a cinch to make up an option, mostly thx to Inno Setup being so helpful with its ready-made routines and all
sometimes not

in this case the options to.. opt for optionality boil down to these

adding the alternate rerendered cue/bin to the bulk, of course granting an easy way to swap between deafult and rerendered at will
no big deal really except for a little big con namely effectively doubling the size of the download to a humongous 700+ MB

other than that, delivering the excerpted new soundtrack files Tommekobialka created, providing a tool like CDMage or whatever to edit the pristine cdrom image (the .bin file) not without a backup if it must be reverted... not a thing to implement within the installer
this can all be done at ease manually step by step after installing, needless to say: it will be enough to get v1.7.1 (no rerendered soundtrack), then Tomekkobialka's set, then patiently slaving away at retreading Tomekkobialka's hard work to make the new image...

if it has to come to that, finally why not use the tool Tomekkobialka himself made that delivers just that, a simple guided little app to do this swapping?

Too bad (for me) it doesn't suit v1.7.2, it would if anything do v1.7.1, then again one would still have to download all the tracks in advance...

I guess this explains why in the end I found no way out of the maze or not the easy one I was after so went and worked out 1.7.2 the way I did, no options and that's it.
Or maybe this just explains I hit the wall and was unable to find the elusive optionality trick
IF I understood you correctly (and that is a BIG if, English is not my friend ) I rather see it all the way around: if you had to choose, why choosing Tomekkobialka's rerendered soundtrack over the original soundtrack? Why not keeping the original stuff and giving some instructions for the soundtrack files replacement? I mean, you said you want to keep it easy an straightforward, but still...

For me that's like replacing the old textures for newer, hi-res ones. Gorgeous, but not the same. Not only does it sound sharper, but it sounds different at some points -the oboe for the main theme feels a little bit out of tune, some samples here and there sound quite different (better, but different nonetheless), etc-, even though it remains so true to the original. I would not call that necessarily an improvement, but a change (better for some, worse for others). I have nothing against T's rerendered version whatsoever. I think it's cool for an isolated listening. But in game, I prefer the original one hands down.

This is no criticism. I appreciate and admire both your work and Tomekkobialka's. I just wanted to express my opinion here, but then again it's your installer and you can include/exclude whatever you think suits best to your judgement.

I think I'll stick to 1.7.1 then

PS: I think the word "replacement" would induce less to misunderstanding than "inclusion", on the changelog. Just saying
PS2: If there's something I missed from your argument, or misunderstood (quite likely, unfortunately) I apologize.

Last edited by Famicom; 21-02-15 at 12:16.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-15, 23:28   #518
Dustie

Does 1.7.1 contain a disc image with the original (plus the extra ones taken from the PS1 version) soundtrack?

If so, then we just need to download 1.7.1 and replace the image files...
Old 22-02-15, 20:51   #519
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Does 1.7.1 contain a disc image with the original (plus the extra ones taken from the PS1 version) soundtrack?
If so, then we just need to download 1.7.1 and replace the image files...
yes 1.6 to 1.7.1 all have the pristine psx tracks, not rerendered
the only problem is then having to switch tombeng.bin from 1.7.1 w/ditto from 1.7.2 to and fro

but to reply to Famicon too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Why not keeping the original stuff and giving some instructions for the soundtrack files replacement? I mean, you said you want to keep it easy an straightforward, but still...
why you see, yours truly's a strong nonbeliever in the palatability of doggone instructions
I do believe unfortunately the more one has a use for them, the less they're bound to be to one's advantage and viceversa, if you see what I mean
anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
I think I'll stick to 1.7.1 then
then again the link to 1.7.1 is surely broken by now...
so I guess a peaceful workaround is to edit the version history at tombraiderhub.com so it keeps a viable link to 1.7.1 download beside 1.7.2, so everyone interested can have a choice between them
which is what I'm going to do as soon as I can.
Old 22-02-15, 21:26   #520
Dustie

That'd be great, I should be able to swap the image files. I assume they only difference between them is the soundtrack, so everything will work the same.