Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-12-18, 21:43   #11
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I like the idea of Croft Manor playing as a hub, but I would like it if it were simple like in every other TR game in which you simply choose Croft Manor from the main menu.
However the Manor should not be scripted like it was in Rise and the camera definitely needs to stay away from Lara. Give the player FREEDOM. Also the Manor has to be expanded, bigger and full of stuff to do, stuff to find and stuff to see ala TRA or TR3.

The Manor should be designed while keeping in mind that it is a playground bc that is technically what it's always been.
This omg...i hate the scripted ass camera so much.

Especially during deaths. I think in the classics the camera would be the usual angle, then after a few seconds go to lara.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 19:35   #12
moodydog

I think TR should try to adopt the level design of Metroid Prime and also Bloodborne. In the latter, is simply mind boggling to journey so far, unlock a door and end up right at the start of the game.

In terms of the hubs in the current TR generation, this is what they feel like:

moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 10:19   #13
Pyro99

Agreed. I couldn't care less about massive hubs, but imagine having a tomb the size of the Geothermal Valley from Rise or Paititi. And maybe for it to not get dull, we explore part of it, leave for an hour or gameplay to a different area, and then return
Pyro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 21:30   #14
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
Agreed. I couldn't care less about massive hubs, but imagine having a tomb the size of the Geothermal Valley from Rise or Paititi. And maybe for it to not get dull, we explore part of it, leave for an hour or gameplay to a different area, and then return
Yes that is something I want in the next game. I couldn't care less for villages or urban social hubs that have useless side missions. I want big level like tombs. I'm hoping they get rid of the optional side tombs and put more depth into main game tombs. As for the side things I propose an idea where we can solve little puzzles to unlock collectables while we explore.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 11:55   #15
larafan25

In-depth Tomb Raiding for me, means re-structuring the pacing of the game to match the original by re-simulating the mechanical reality (the game). Nothing more in-depth than those original methods of existing in and interacting with the game world. Such a detailed experience, and emotionally rich.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 12:14   #16
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
I'm hoping they get rid of the optional side tombs and put more depth into main game tombs. As for the side things I propose an idea where we can solve little puzzles to unlock collectables while we explore.
Hate to break it to you, but that's exactly what the side tombs (and SotTR's crypts) are.

Nah, challenge tombs should remain, for me they are the natural evolution of the classic secret areas. The only thing they need to do is remove the annoying "Challenge Tomb Nearby" notices, and let them have more than one kind of reward. Like, not only collectables or skills (if they return), but maybe even shortcuts or alternate, but more advantageous paths for the next main goal.

You are right that that main tombs should have more depth though, even if SotTR was a really big step up in the right direction (though without animals/monsters to kill they felt too empty).
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-19, 16:51   #17
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Hate to break it to you, but that's exactly what the side tombs (and SotTR's crypts) are.

Nah, challenge tombs should remain, for me they are the natural evolution of the classic secret areas. The only thing they need to do is remove the annoying "Challenge Tomb Nearby" notices, and let them have more than one kind of reward. Like, not only collectables or skills (if they return), but maybe even shortcuts or alternate, but more advantageous paths for the next main goal.

You are right that that main tombs should have more depth though, even if SotTR was a really big step up in the right direction (though without animals/monsters to kill they felt too empty).
I don't mind side tomb things, that's why I proposed the same secrets but in a different way. I just wish that the main tombs were better and hubs were less social and more tomb based. The main tombs aren't as inspired as side tombs and this new format of semi open world gives useless hub filled with collectables. I think if the skills left, we can have better collectables that come at the end of secrets that have more value. This way the big reward that you'd normally get at the end of side tombs can be reserved for main tombs.

Last edited by JuditePrince12; 04-01-19 at 16:57.
Old 04-01-19, 18:56   #18
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
I don't mind side tomb things, that's why I proposed the same secrets but in a different way. I just wish that the main tombs were better and hubs were less social and more tomb based. The main tombs aren't as inspired as side tombs and this new format of semi open world gives useless hub filled with collectables. I think if the skills left, we can have better collectables that come at the end of secrets that have more value. This way the big reward that you'd normally get at the end of side tombs can be reserved for main tombs.
Yeah, hubs should definitely be more Tomb based. But the reward from the main tombs should be the next big plot development. I mean, even when you got one of the McGuffins, gameplaywise they were basically useless, aside from Excalibur and Thor's equipment and hammer.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 12:56   #19
paulojr_mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Nah, challenge tombs [...] are the natural evolution of the classic secret areas.
I think secret areas in tombs was better than secret tombs. It's clear to me the devs have to choose between making many small tombs or a few huge ones, they've been trying to balance it out since 2013 without success. That is why I think it's best if they make fewer tombs, which means getting rid of optional ones, but put more effort into these few. Make them larger and put the secrets in them. Also, having only one thing to collect per tomb is formulaic and artificial.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-19, 19:34   #20
JuditePrince12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
I think secret areas in tombs was better than secret tombs. It's clear to me the devs have to choose between making many small tombs or a few huge ones, they've been trying to balance it out since 2013 without success. That is why I think it's best if they make fewer tombs, which means getting rid of optional ones, but put more effort into these few. Make them larger and put the secrets in them. Also, having only one thing to collect per tomb is formulaic and artificial.
Yes! Yes! Yes!