Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tutorials and Resources

Closed Thread

Old 14-01-12, 19:38   #1
Level NextGen

Default TRNG - Advanced Puzzle with Rolling Balls (Exploding RollinbB.)

This is a little tuto on how to make advanced puzzle with rolling balls. Well lets see this video to understand:

So, the aim of this tuto is to learn how to explode 2 Rolling Balls when they meet each other to pickup a key, a puzzle part or a fragment of something else.

What you need:
This WadPack: http://www.trsearch.org/Items/3933
This script:
Code:
;------- Rolling Balls Enigme
GlobalTrigger=	2, FGT_SINGLE_SHOT, GT_ALWAYS, IGNORE, IGNORE, 4,IGNORE
TriggerGroup=	4, $2000, 189, $B35, >			; Remove visibility from static ID 2869
			   $2000, 189, $B34, >			; Remove visibility from static ID 2868
			   $2000, 189, $B33				; Remove visibility from static ID 2867

Organizer=		1, FO_TICK_TIME, IGNORE, 0, 2, 89, 3, 5, 5	;First RBall
TriggerGroup=	2, $5000, 969, $10E, >			; Remove immediatly ROLLINGBALL ID 969
			   $5000, 552, $2B				; Activate ROLLINGBALL ID 552
TriggerGroup=	3, $5000, 552, $20E, >			; Explode ROLLINGBALL ID 552
			   $5000, 1212, $20E, >			; Explode ROLLINGBALL ID 1212
			   $2000, 355, $1403				; White Flash Screen

TriggerGroup=	5, $2000, 190, $B35, >			; Restore visibility from static ID 2869
			   $2000, 190, $B34, >			; Restore visibility from static ID 2868
			   $2000, 190, $B33				; Restore visibility from static ID 2867

First Step: Set up
Here, the setting up depends on what you want to do (be imaginative). For me, I use a kind of trappy configuration such as RB (Rolling Balls) are used: the well known (nearly an unmissable trap ) round-trip RB
However RB need to meet them when they are both triggered (to simulate an explosion...). I use here two fish statues and invisble Bridges-Tile1 with Dummy Triggers to simulate a better falling (actually without Bridge Tile the RB just fall vertically straigh and do not roll; quite bad for a Rolling Ball )

Second Step: Then?
Well, I'm okay it's "Jolie" (Angelina Jolie?) and as I know you have both triggered the RB to see them stopping each other or something like exploding... but it's don't work, they just pass through without taking care of the collision .
For this example it's better to just trigger ONLY one RB when Lara come near the trap-puzzle. So she could pass or simply pass-away . I used a Target Trigger with ONE-SHOOT associated to the RB, so the player could noticed the fall of the RB and follow it.

Third Step: Puzzle
Here the "big" work is! You need to create a way/configuration to trigger the 2nd RB. I use a simple switch to triggers an Organizer which triggers some TriggersGroup in a special order.
The Switch: I use a switch place on a wall under the RB. So I set a ONE SHOOT switch with a Flipeffect Organizer 1 (the number "1" correspond to your Organizer) and also the Trigger for the second RB but you can set it in the Organizer.

Le Script (Part 1):
Code:
TriggerGroup=	2, $5000, 969, $10E, >			; Remove immediatly ROLLINGBALL ID 969
			   $5000, 552, $2B				; Activate ROLLINGBALL ID 552
TriggerGroup=	3, $5000, 552, $20E, >			; Explode ROLLINGBALL ID 552
			   $5000, 1212, $20E, >			; Explode ROLLINGBALL ID 1212
			   $2000, 355, $1403				; White Flash Screen
Explanation: The Organizer 1 set two TG (TriggerGroup) in a specific time; with the option FO_TICK_TIME I can have a better time precision: 1/30 seconds, that's to say the number of second multiply by 30 (30 = 1 second)
The TG 2 removes after 0sec the RB that was activated for the trap and triggers a third hidden RB (that I've already place in NGLE with Invisible OCB). I've done this because I can know when the 2 RB will both meet them. Don't forget that I've already triggered the second RB with the Switch.
Then, after testing your game and noticed the time when the 2 RB meet each other, you can activate the second TG. My TG3 ("3" is the name of my TG) triggered the explosion of the 2 RB and a white flash after 2 or 3 seconds.

Set up: What it doesn't work? Don't tell me that you have copied these lines... Okay, those lines will not work for you because they are specific to my objects! Don't be afraid you can easily export those lines.

You would have understand that I had exported some Trigger from NGLE. Here, there's no need to do it by your own because the ID (the number of the object) features in the command: TriggerGroup= 2, $5000, 969, $10E, > ; Remove immediately ROLLINGBALL ID 969
You just have to change my ID by yours, the one of the concerning RB (ID can be seen by clicking on the object in NGLE)

Well some purists won't appreciate because there aren't so much details here, but I'm sure you are able to export these command (they are easy to found).

Fourth Step: And the debris?
Well RIP dears Rolling Balls but where are the debris?
NGLE: In my WadPack I made some debris you can use. Set them in NGLE as the RB has already exploded.

Le Script (Part 2):
Code:
GlobalTrigger=	2, FGT_SINGLE_SHOT, GT_ALWAYS, IGNORE, IGNORE, 4,IGNORE
TriggerGroup=	4, $2000, 189, $B35, >			; Remove visibility from static ID 2869
			   $2000, 189, $B34, >			; Remove visibility from static ID 2868
			   $2000, 189, $B33				; Remove visibility from static ID 2867
Explanation: A GlobalTrigger activates only one time when the game is firstly loaded (GT_ALWAYS + FGT_SINGLE_SHOT), the TG4.
This TG4 disables the visibility and by the same way the collision of the debris as if there weren't here. You can also set simple flippeffects somewhere in NGLE that replaces the GT 2, so no need to set GT in your script. Whatever you want? (Note : I've tested some savegames after and before the puzzle and the debris don't disseapear after the puzzle, but take care of it.)

Set up: It's the same as previously BUT here the ID is hidden behind an other number (the 3rd : $B00). This time you have to export your own trigger commands:

Fith Step: Debris Abracadabra
After a hard work (or not for the most astute ), you have to make some wizardry, well not, some scripting again to set up the debris after the explosion.
Code:
TriggerGroup= $2000, 190, $B35, >			; Restore visibility from static ID 2869
			   $2000, 190, $B34, >			; Restore visibility from static ID 2868
			   $2000, 190, $B33				; Restore visibility from static ID 2867
You need to make another TG (the third I think). Here, the TG5 restores the collision and the visibility of the objects. Just need to copy/past these lines and switch the "$B**" by yours (you know the IDs that you have upper in the TG4... and so on).

Yeap it's finally done! Test and... what? it doesn't work?
Hoo, all my apologies I forgot to tell you to insert your TG in your Organizer:
Code:

To put it in a Rollingball shell
Finally, you would have a script that is similar to the first one. Now you can test and enjoy your hard work!
Well it's not really done, you can add a Key or a relic that can be used for an other puzzle. You now how to do this now.
And of course, you can totally change the setting up, try to imagine something else. We can try a little game by posting your setting up, an idea of challenge?

NB: If you have some problems you can PM me or post your question on My Thread

Last edited by Level NextGen; 26-05-16 at 15:31. Reason: Link changed on request by author
Closed Thread