www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 26-05-19, 10:11   #1
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Default Replacing Lara with Rollingball

This is something I have wanted to do for a while now.

AFAIK This not TRNG. As I'm only using wadmerger and strpix so far to do this.

Being able to control a rollingball or other objects would open up a new range of possibilities for puzzles. The next step if this is possible, would be to introduce a missile that explodes on contact with the target.

For now though, let's stick with the rollingball.

I have already replaced mesh 0 of Lara's model with a rollingball, I then replaced animations with that of the rollingball animation. So far, animations are glitching and not working. So I need help working out how to make it work. I'll put a video below to give a visual on where I'm at.

As you can see I've inserted the animations into the corresponding slots. So the animations for still->roll is in slot 0, continuous roll is in slot 6, rolling->still is in slot 10. Ideally I would control the ball purely along an X and Y axis so you move it either forward or left to right without turning but for now, just getting the roll animation to work would be fine.

Last edited by Reggie; 26-05-19 at 10:31.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-19, 12:43   #2
LGG_PRODUCTION
Explorer

Why do you want to control a rolling ball ?
A good idea should be a rolling ball shape vehicle, similar to Fortnite one
Old 26-05-19, 17:12   #3
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG_PRODUCTION View Post
Why do you want to control a rolling ball ?
A good idea should be a rolling ball shape vehicle, similar to Fortnite one
I haven't heard that idea yet. The remote controlled crane object has been mentioned though.

I want a rolling ball for puzzles. Maybe a crystal you have to manoeuvre through obstacles in order to Lara to collect it from the other side or to use for pressure pads. Pushable objects are a slow way of doing this so being able to control a fast moving rolling ball would be a different way to carrying out physics based puzzles.

Being able to control a ball object opens up the possibility of controlling other objects like a missile. Using TRNG, you can have objects to explode upon collision so you could essentially guide a missile around obstacles in order to reach an otherwise unreachable switch.

https://youtu.be/ZGZ5rgJHsjo?t=211

watch from 3:40

Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-19, 17:31   #4
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

If you change the Lara object then how could you have both Lara and your rolling ball/missile in the same level?

It might make more sense to try and edit a vehicle maybe? Although I think the MGS style missile might be easier to do than a rolling ball. A crossbow bolt turned into a missle with slowed speed that the player can steer would be amazing. Or controlling the mechanical scarab beetle as a remote control exploration robot...

I think you'd be better off asking in the TRNG forum - there are scripts that can move objects along an axis but in all honesty I think you'd need a plugin.
Old 28-05-19, 20:34   #5
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

My suggestion is to completely discard Lara's default animations, animate all the rollingball's movements and script them, so you have a complete new control system.

I've done this recently and it works (it was not for a rollingball tho lol)
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote