www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 01-06-19, 12:41   #11
nightwolf1982
Hobbyist

OK, some new info. I've been so busy comparing TR Anniversary and TR Legend, it never occurred to me to compare Anniversary to UNDERWORLD. And guess what? while there are some differences in the drm format, Anniversary and Underworld share something in common: the 5043443915000000 value. So maybe Anniversary's models are closer in format to Underworld than Legend. If so, maybe it might be possible to modify Gh0stblade's tools to detect them and extract the mesh data?

What do you think Gh0stblade?
nightwolf1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 12:48   #12
XNAaraL
Professor

Location: The worthwhile problems are the U can really solve, the ones U can really contribute something to
Thumbs down problema con comunicazione

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf1982 View Post
OK, some new info ... "Bla bla" here ... "bla" on XeNTax .. bla on ZENHAX ... bla?
and "bla" here https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...54#post8094754

What do you think Patrick?

bb and EOT

Last edited by XNAaraL; 01-06-19 at 13:04.
XNAaraL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-19, 13:26   #13
nightwolf1982
Hobbyist

I'm sorry, I'll just stop posting then. Thank you, XNAaraL, for reminding me how stuck up, arrogant and elitist some members of these communities tend to be, especially to newer members who are just trying to find some answers.

I'll remember in the future to just avoid asking for help when I come across an issue like this.
Old 01-06-19, 18:42   #14
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
OK, some new info. I've been so busy comparing TR Anniversary and TR Legend, it never occurred to me to compare Anniversary to UNDERWORLD. And guess what? while there are some differences in the drm format, Anniversary and Underworld share something in common: the 5043443915000000 value. So maybe Anniversary's models are closer in format to Underworld than Legend. If so, maybe it might be possible to modify Gh0stblade's tools to detect them and extract the mesh data?

Nope, TRL mesh format is closer to TRU than what TRA is.

TRA format relies on the relocation data to be serialised properly unlike TRL, TR8, TRAS, TRD, LC2, TR2 and TR11.

0x50434439 is the "PCD9" magic for mesh files in TRL ONLY. TRA does not use the PCD9 magic and neither do any other remaining games.

Quote:
If so, maybe it might be possible to modify Gh0stblade's tools to detect them and extract the mesh data?

My tool extracts all DRM sections. The mesh files are there since I found them, they just don't have the correct file extension since there is no correct way to detect them (DRM format is faulty in TRA and TRL).

Cheers.
Old 01-06-19, 19:55   #15
nightwolf1982
Hobbyist

But here's what I'm not understanding. The model file for Legend Lara is 1,136kb after your tool extracts it (and the "Section" data is removed). Yet none of the section headers in the drm have a size coming close to this. The same thing happens with Underworld Lara, the model is 1,588kb, but there's no matching size in the section headers. So how are the extractors compiling these models? The Anniversary extractor, from what I can see, is doing a straight extraction. The largest dtp (model) file extracted is 93kb, exactly matching the section header (after removing the "Section" data from the file).

I'm not deliberately being dense here, I'm just trying to understand why TRA is so different.

Last edited by nightwolf1982; 01-06-19 at 20:06.
Old 01-06-19, 21:09   #16
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
But here's what I'm not understanding. The model file for Legend Lara is 1,136kb after your tool extracts it (and the "Section" data is removed). Yet none of the section headers in the drm have a size coming close to this. The same thing happens with Underworld Lara, the model is 1,588kb, but there's no matching size in the section headers. So how are the extractors compiling these models? The Anniversary extractor, from what I can see, is doing a straight extraction. The largest dtp (model) file extracted is 93kb, exactly matching the section header (after removing the "Section" data from the file).

I'm not deliberately being dense here, I'm just trying to understand why TRA is so different.
All the file sizes should match the DRM headers. If it doesn't either:
A. Tool strips out the relocation data resulting in a size mis-match when compared to the DRM header.
B. Tool is set to repack mode and section header is preserved inside the file itself.

Anniversary Lara model is lower filesize compared to Legend. The source code for my tool is already available on GitHub so you can see how it works if you wanted to.

Cheers.
Old 01-06-19, 22:37   #17
nightwolf1982
Hobbyist

Never mind, the sizes are matching up, I was looking at the wrong section header.

Last edited by nightwolf1982; 02-06-19 at 00:21. Reason: Correcting a mistake
Old 02-06-19, 03:52   #18
nightwolf1982
Hobbyist

So, went back to digging through the drms, and I'm starting to think the models aren't stored in them at all. I've identified the skeleton files for Legend as starting with the magic 0x5304c204, and these files are present in Anniversary as well. They're the largest set of .gnc files.

However, the largest potential model file (for Lara) in Anniversary isn't a model file, yet there's a matching file present in Legend. Both files start with the value 0x18000000 and contain a block of "null" references near the end of the file. None of the other .dtp files are large enough to be models.

If this is the case, it of course begs the question, where are the models?

There is one other thing I've found. In the objectlist.txt in trae/pc-w, entry number 72 is listed as player. Presumably this refers to a player.drm, as the rest of the entries seem to refer to the drm files, however, there is no player.drm extracted from the bigfiles.

Last edited by nightwolf1982; 02-06-19 at 03:55.
Old 02-06-19, 10:25   #19
tlr online
Administrator

Exclamation

nightwolf1982. Please observe our rules on making use of our edit function.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#7
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote