Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 14-01-14, 15:02   #331
JasonDavies15
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Ok so here's what I got so far with gidierre's 1.6 installer and nGlide:

Cons:
- Some polygons (walls) show a black line between them. I haven't tried all the options and combinations. Not a big deal, on psx it was pretty worse, and I'm not really sure this is something that can be avoided...
- I still hear a slight delay in sound. I wonder if that can be fixed fiddling with DosBox config...
- Purple background on inventory menu.
- Some textures are not filtered. E.g. The mummy in the pictures below. I don't know if this issue can be fixed via nvidia control panel. I'm testing.
- Can't use psx's FMVs here. A pity (I don't really care about Hi-Res texture packs).

Pros
- Everything else works like a charm. No delay accesing inventory menu whatsoever. I haven't played enough to see if there are slowdowns in open areas or not... If that happened, I wonder if it can be solved by cranking up CPU cycles on Dosbox config over 50000.
- No weird thin white wireframe on Lara´s head, as it happened to me using GliDos.
- Music works and there's no micro-freezing when you reach a music trigger, as it happened to me using GliDos and an iso image with tracks in cd-audio format, even music doesn't pause when you enter inventory menu, as it happened on psx -if my memory serves me well.
- SweetFX can make it look gorgeous, stunning, close or even better than psx version in terms of contrast, gamma and saturation. Look at these and tell me what you think:

SweetFx OFF:
http://i.imgur.com/cpK4Pdu.png

SweetFX ON:
http://i.imgur.com/BuZv6ET.png

SweetFx OFF:
http://i.imgur.com/pjL4rWG.png

SweetFX ON:
http://i.imgur.com/dRKp4El.png

SweetFx OFF:
http://i.imgur.com/rIy7Fcj.png

SweetFX ON:
http://i.imgur.com/8bnZv5k.png

I still have to try widescreen patch + camera fix and see what happens. That could be glorious.
Btw gidierre, about the iso cd that comes with your installer...Is the source of the audio tracks PCM uncompressed, ripped tracks from the psx disc or did you start from lossy mp3 files?
Thank you gidierre and dustie for your patience.
You mention SweetFX what is exactly is that ? there is no option in nglide for it?
JasonDavies15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-14, 15:56   #332
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDavies15 View Post
You mention SweetFX what is exactly is that ? there is no option in nglide for it?
I recommend you to watch these three videos before trying anything. Can't miss them

SweetFX part one, part two and part three.

"SweetFX Shader Suite is a universal image improvement and tweaking mod, that works with almost any 32-bit DirectX 9, 10 or 11 game or application. The goal of this software is to provide similar tools to games in realtime, as video processing software provides for movies and videos."
Source

It has nothing to do with nGlide, but works with it

Last edited by Famicom; 14-01-14 at 16:14.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-14, 16:52   #333
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
I still hear a slight delay in sound. I wonder if that can be fixed fiddling with DosBox config...
no I don't think so
it could be only hacked via dosbox rewriting & recompiling
see eg this esp. browsing my posts #6 & 7 to see what I'm talking about
Quote:
I haven't played enough to see if there are slowdowns in open areas or not... If that happened, I wonder if it can be solved by cranking up CPU cycles on Dosbox config over 50000.
yep, to a point... a narrow one
just be aware that performance will dramatically drop above (as well as under) the "right" cycles value...it's no linear stuff, it's a bell curve, it's a curveball
Quote:
Music works and there's no micro-freezing when you reach a music trigger, as it happened to me using GliDos and an iso image with tracks in cd-audio format.
glad you noticed that
meaning the image I have the installer mount works better that an iso, particularly since it's no iso at all (see post about image writing quoted above)
Quote:
Btw gidierre, about the iso cd that comes with your installer...Is the source of the audio tracks PCM, uncompressed ripped tracks from the psx disc or did you start from lossy mp3 files?
the cue/bin thing I made for it, iirc I simply took whatever tracks I found @tombraiderchronicles, since I have no psx disc to work with

Last edited by gidierre; 14-01-14 at 16:54.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-14, 19:47   #334
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
no I don't think so
it could be only hacked via dosbox rewriting & recompiling
see eg this esp. browsing my posts #6 & 7 to see what I'm talking about
I think that goes beyond my understanding of English. From what I've been able to understand, there you talk about CD reading and stuff. What I meant by sound delay is: when Lara shoots, walks, etc., the sound always goes a bit after the picture.

Quote:
the cue/bin thing I made for it, iirc I simply took whatever tracks I found @tombraiderchronicles, since I have no psx disc to work with
I've got a genuine PAL Tomb Raider CD. Can I make a cue/bin just like yours, using a proper rip from that disc? I'm a bit purist, I know, but I want music to sound as good as it can, and you can only get that by ripping a psx disc. If it works I can send it to you in case you want to include it in your installer sometime.
Old 15-01-14, 11:36   #335
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
there you talk about CD reading and stuff. What I meant by sound delay is: when Lara shoots, walks, etc., the sound always goes a bit after the picture.
you're correct, that's not about cdrom tracks then, but is handled by the (emulated) soundcard
this feature in dosbox is afaict the outcome of refurbishing VDMSound earlier code (but remember all that was/is 16-bit code)

therefore it all ought to be investigated in the relevant portions of dosbox open sources
Quote:
I've got a genuine PAL Tomb Raider CD. Can I make a cue/bin just like yours, using a proper rip from that disc? I'm a bit purist, I know, but I want music to sound as good as it can, and you can only get that by ripping a psx disc. If it works I can send it to you in case you want to include it in your installer sometime.
a psx disc image even if cue/bin proper can't be handled directly ie without one more, dedicated emulation layer afaik

what you could try (would that be worth the effort?) imho is
rip psx cd audio tracks, to a bunch of *.wav's of course
then create a mixed-mode cdrom out of these plus the pc cdrom data stuff

then make a cue/bin which finally
could be used to overwrite the one my installer delivers to see if it suits you better.

Last edited by gidierre; 15-01-14 at 11:38.
Old 15-01-14, 16:02   #336
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Something that I have going on with sound under DosBox, and that is regardless of if I'm using the installer package or just running Tomb Raider in DosBox myself, is that the sound effects aren't fully "in the middle" in terms of stereo... It's like they're playing a bit to the left... is this a DosBox issue then? The CD-Audio music with the installer package seems to sound just fine...
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-14, 17:44   #337
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
is this a DosBox issue then? The CD-Audio music with the installer package seems to sound just fine...
well if you use dosbox with the original cd it can be different from playing it as the installer's image is mounted, besides the image is in fact what I made as mixed mode cue/bin plus extra audio tracks...
it also changes if you use that -noioctl switch yourself with "plain" dosbox.

Last edited by gidierre; 15-01-14 at 17:46.
Old 15-01-14, 18:23   #338
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Something that I have going on with sound under DosBox, and that is regardless of if I'm using the installer package or just running Tomb Raider in DosBox myself, is that the sound effects aren't fully "in the middle" in terms of stereo... It's like they're playing a bit to the left... is this a DosBox issue then? The CD-Audio music with the installer package seems to sound just fine...
This.
Old 15-01-14, 21:38   #339
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
well if you use dosbox with the original cd it can be different from playing it as the installer's image is mounted, besides the image is in fact what I made as mixed mode cue/bin plus extra audio tracks...
it also changes if you use that -noioctl switch yourself with "plain" dosbox.
The CD-Audio seems to be fine - I can't be 100% sure since I don't know the exact the differences between PC and PS1 in terms of track cues and whatnot, but it does play the right way in terms of stereo sound. The sound effects however, seem to be "shifted in soundspace" to the left a bit, just enough to make one notice...

Just thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone's experiencing the same thing. I would guess it has to do with DosBox sound card emulation?
Dustie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-14, 17:27   #340
RunrigNutter
Professor

I have a question, Dosbox is now at 74, how do we update the CONF file