www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 28-12-18, 21:28   #1
RequiredField
Hobbyist

Default Unknown game version (US PSN)?

I was studying some old threads and found this one. Apparently the US PSN version has improper column collisions in KV5 (like US v1.0) but has a Large Medipack as well (like any other version released after US v1.0). I've never ever seen this combo in action, like a video which would document this behavior and I checked every known at this time PS1 release (spoiler alert: there's 9 and I checked every one) - none of them reproduce what has been written in that thread. There's either no medipack and the columns have messed up collisions or there is a medipack but it is reachable.
So in this case, assuming that thread's OP wasn't trolling, there is a build that has never seen the daylight on PS1, but takes some stuff from the first PS1 release and some from later ones and makes its presence on PS3.
Does anyone have this release and may enlighten me, what is going on here? Or maybe even better - does anyone have this unreachable medipack but on a PS1 game?
RequiredField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 10:34   #2
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Stella walkthrough for the AREA WITH SCAFFOLDING AND GATE: states that there are two medipacks that can be picked up. So assume the unpickable medipack version was fixed and updated.

Early versions of 'KV5' did have problems and were fixed by the design team on a revised version

On the PC version there was a problem with the green grass dune area after the gate where you drive with the jeep, where you could do a shortcut through some rock formations.

This 'fault in the ground layout' shortcut was removed on a revised version, so they may have fixed other problems with the level, like the medipack at the same time.

So in conclusion: there are some subtle differences in a few TR4 levels with different versions depending on country and date issued. The design team spotted faults and corrected them, like that illegal shortcut, but other changes were not straight forward, like one crawl tunnel in 'Sacred lake' having a slightly different slope than before, which we never quite figured out why.

The way we spotted these changes, were that the data file size was different in newer date issues of the game.

Please do not post in this old thread...
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...highlight=jeep
Old 30-12-18, 15:59   #3
RequiredField
Hobbyist

Thanks for replying. So nice to see a good soul who wants to help.

I have a private spreadsheet that covers most of the differences on different versions (only on PS1 though) and maybe once it's done I'll publish a ready version here. Or I'll rewrite time-based differences and update an article on TCRF so it's explained once and for all.
Or if you're curious, I might well post the unfinished version right here, just ask me.

Why did I say this? I did investigate all 9 known PS1 releases and found out that the only one with a potentially unreachable medipack would be the first release (NTSC-U v1.0) - the same one with glitched collisions of columns BUT... there's no medipack here.
I'm talking about this one: it IS the first release and I verified it through some barely noticeable details like the shade of brown the columns have.

So according to the thread I mentioned in the first message, there might me another version, which I have no idea about that got released on PSN and is based on NTSC-U v1.0 but has the medipack backported. Thus, I'm asking if anyone knows anything about this version.
Old 02-01-19, 19:08   #4
WhoIAm
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiredField View Post
Or I'll rewrite time-based differences and update an article on TCRF so it's explained once and for all.
I'm the guy who wrote the current "version differences" section for the TCRF article, and I'd really appreciate it if you revised it! I can already tell you looked into the revisional differences much more carefully than me :P
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 20:45   #5
RequiredField
Hobbyist

After some sleepless nights of thinking about this situation I decided to do some heavy information digging. I stumbled upon this thread.
Summary: Apparently this PSN version has the hole in the ground in Sacred Lake covered up so the player cannot backtrack and is stuck if some items have been missed.
I noticed this is also what happened to peeves who claimed to have an actual unreachable medipack in KV5. So there's a huge chance this version is actually a thing rather than some made-up story but it's so rare to notice these anomalies that people never post any photos/videos of these occuring?

What on earth is going on there?

Last edited by tlr online; 21-01-19 at 22:29. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Old 21-01-19, 22:24   #6
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Investigating this now. Can someone actually provide screenshot evidence of these differences though?
Old 21-01-19, 22:39   #7
Woops
Explorer

From my memory, The hole "cover" is a trapdoor that is triggered when you get to the area from the other side of the tunnel.

Last edited by Woops; 22-01-19 at 00:06.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 23:24   #8
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

The only differences I see between US PSN TRLR v1.0 and PSX TRLRL v1.0 is minor changes to the textures in some areas. It's the same build most likely.
Old 22-01-19, 00:58   #9
RequiredField
Hobbyist

After another research I must admit that I messed up. The trapdoor is, indeed, present in NTSC v1.0 and can be locked depending on how one plays the game. I haven't found an exact square that makes it open yet, though.
I checked a PAL EU release (skipped other PAL versions since they should theoretically be the same except the language and voices), NTSC v1.1 and NTSC Japanese - none of them feature that trapdoor.

Texturing differences? Hm, what exactly has been changed? I know only about some "solid floor" changed to the one with star-shaped holes in Burial Chambers, the KV5 pillars being more reddish and 2 sections in Sacred Lake having some minor touches - all of these made since PAL releases.
Is there something else that I missed or maybe even exclusive to PSN edition?