www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-04-19, 14:13   #1
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Talking Exclusive Mac only features

Hi there,
Recently got the first game running on Mac OS9 and found really interesting features.

They published both TR1 and TR2 at the same time in 1998 for Mac so the first game also has the “aha” sound effect when picking up objects.

https://streamable.com/1qjbk

https://streamable.com/fd79o

When swimming underwater, it’s blue like the PlayStation version and not clear white like some PC versions:

https://streamable.com/9m91x

The inventory has a background image:

https://streamable.com/thnnq

The FMVs can be played without lines:

https://streamable.com/rwjpd

Not really a feature but the company logos are the animations from TR2 onwards, not the originals.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 19-04-19 at 14:22.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-19, 14:17   #2
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Nice find! The Mac versions of the classic games used to be the only way I played them when I was younger, I thought I had some mandela effect going on when I played other versions and realised there was no "aha" in TR1.
Old 19-04-19, 14:30   #3
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Nice find! The Mac versions of the classic games used to be the only way I played them when I was younger, I thought I had some mandela effect going on when I played other versions and realised there was no "aha" in TR1.
Really cool. They keep them for all the games as I tested the level editor and that too had the sound.

This is the source files for the FMVs for those interested:

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 19-04-19 at 16:51.
Old 19-04-19, 17:58   #4
Teeth
Archaeologist

Oh great, so Shelley and Judith's voices are awkwardly mix-and-matched in both TR1 AND TR2 on the Mac.

And that inventory background looks like the texture from the TR2 background only stretched to fill the screen rather than tiled. Must look hideous up close!

I'm surprised nobody's covered these differences before. Bet there are a few more that haven't been found yet...
Teeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-19, 23:15   #5
onimush
Hobbyist

What framerate has mac version ? Are they 60fps or only 30?

Last edited by onimush; 22-04-19 at 23:19.
onimush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-19, 23:37   #6
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimush View Post
What framerate has mac version ? Are they 60fps or only 30?
I think it's only 30 FPS, I don't have powerful enough old hardware to see if it's unlocked.

My guess is the smoothness might be that the Mac version could be compiled using floats instead of integers - only Tomb Raider Chronicles for PC uses integers which is why that game has an extra smoothness as I did notice she runs in TR1 for Mac very smoothly.
Old 24-04-19, 15:56   #7
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I think it's only 30 FPS, I don't have powerful enough old hardware to see if it's unlocked.

My guess is the smoothness might be that the Mac version could be compiled using floats instead of integers - only Tomb Raider Chronicles for PC uses integers which is why that game has an extra smoothness as I did notice she runs in TR1 for Mac very smoothly.
Floating point precision is used for accurate vertex coordinates calculation, which avoids the infamous polygon trembling present in TR1 (afaik it affects all versions except, perhaps, PowerVR SGL version (which runs at 60fps btw). I'd swear TR2's PC version already uses floats, and all the other TRs after it.

To my knowledge, floating point precision isn't in any way related to frame-rate nor does it make the game feel "smoother". It definitely makes it more solid, though.

Also, I could be wrong.
Old 28-04-19, 15:30   #8
Arsunt
Student

Hey! Just sharing my knwowledges, because I used to decompile TR1 and TR2 mac executables for creating PC compilation symbol tables (Mac binaries have function definitions inside its binary).
Quote:
They published both TR1 and TR2 at the same time in 1998 for Mac so the first game also has the “aha” sound effect when picking up objects.
Both TR1 and TR2 games have almost identical codebase except enemies AI (and few other things) code on Mac. On PC it could be almost the same story, but hardware 3D renderer for MS-DOS TR1 (3Dfx Glide) is very different from Windows TR2 (Direct3D). Both TR1 and TR2 software (256 color) renderers are almost identical.
Quote:
When swimming underwater, it’s blue like the PlayStation version and not clear white like some PC versions
Probably you are using RAVE renderer. Run Tomb Raider I Setup and try other graphic renderers (RAVE / 3Dfx / Software). You will see difference.
Quote:
The inventory has a background image
They used the same TR2 inventory background texture, just not tiled. Try Software renderer option, and it could become more PC like.
Quote:
The FMVs can be played without lines
That's because Mac version uses Mac native Quicktime for playback. PC uses ptoprietary Eidos EscapePlay codecs and player. Black scanlines is one of the issues of EscapePlay player.
Quote:
It is 30 FPS. Hardware doesn't matter.
Quote:
Nonsense! Playstation and Mac and PC, all of them use integer maths, no floats. I've dig deep enough to be sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Floating point precision is used for accurate vertex coordinates calculation, which avoids the infamous polygon trembling present in TR1
Trembling occures when the game uses native resolution, but the wrapper upscales it. For example, original PC TR1 has just two options 320x200 or 640x480, but all of these nice wrappers make it possible on even higher resolutions. Just not accurate vertex calculation when upscaling.
Old 28-04-19, 15:58   #9
Woops

Thank you a lot for the info, Arsunt!
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-19, 11:31   #10
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

I never realized these features were Mac and exclusive: my first experience of Tomb Raider was on a Mac, so I just assumed this was how everyone experienced the game.

I know that Tomb Raider was only ever released as “Tomb Raider Gold” for Mac.

Also, the only way to play The Lost Artifact was with a special Mac Trilogy pack. I remember the marketing claimed all the FMVs had been improved for the tr Logo release but I don’t know whether that was true.