www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-06-19, 18:19   #21
Error96
Explorer

I really don't like this suggestion at all. It feels totally out of place for meand Lara seems the type to use her strategy, stealth and cunning to defeat opponents than a brute force fist fight.
Old 16-06-19, 18:38   #22
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

i want her to be a martial artist on the cutscenes! while playing? maybe some assaults or combat moves. but not like AOD or TRU,... jump kicking a tiger was dumb
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-19, 18:43   #23
veigafd
Archaeologist

Well, If I somehow got a chance to implement something, I would put more stealth kill animations using the jump, action and the normal stealth kill button when behind a enemy or when stunned, since you only need the roll button free if something goes wrong.
Also, I miss the dirt tactics from 2013, she could use some moves using roll and the action button, like a low kick to stun enemies.
Old 16-06-19, 18:51   #24
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by krycekuva View Post
i want her to be a martial artist on the cutscenes! while playing? maybe some assaults or combat moves. but not like AOD or TRU,... jump kicking a tiger was dumb
I didn't even consider this! But yeah, if they implement some more combat/melee options, it should only be applied to non-animal enemies.
Old 16-06-19, 19:39   #25
Kalaghima
Hobbyist

Any mix of combat is always welcome in my book. Although I wouldn't want it to be like AOD (the stealth takedown is fine). The punches looked very weak like someone who's never train in their life but the spin kick was cool. They're just poorly implemented imo. You just spam the button and hope the punches land somewhere.

Something like in anniversary comes to mind like when she knock out Larson without using guns.

Either keep the melee combat as stealth or one to one close combat with one enemy at a time. Somehow it would feel weird seeing Lara leaps from one enemy to another like in arkham game. I already dislike the magnetic ledge. I wouldn't want to see magnetic enemies but who knows.
Kalaghima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-19, 20:06   #26
tomblover
Tomb Raider

Here's an idea:

Replace the overly simplistic dodge counter mechanic with a high risk, high reward, extended QTE kind of thing that basically fills the role of melee combat.

Like, run up to a stunned enemy and hit whatever button, as usual - and then there's maybe like a three-step QTE to first knock them back, then disarm them, and then finally take them out. The prompts would ideally be semi-randomized in such a way that you would have to actually react to them, every time.

That way, you haven't added a dedicated system for it that would bloat the game with unnecessary/underused features - especially considering we as a fanbase generally don't want much combat of any kind at all.

Last edited by tomblover; 16-06-19 at 20:14.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-19, 20:08   #27
Amunet
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Here's an idea:

Replace the dodge counter mechanic with a high risk, high reward, extended QTE that basically fills the role of melee combat.

That way, you haven't added a dedicated system for it that would bloat the game with unnecessary/underused features - especially considering we as a fanbase generally don't want much combat of any kind at all.
Personally, I don't think QTEs are a better option. I'd rather keep those to a minimum.
Old 16-06-19, 20:09   #28
AshesBorn
Professor

It'd be cool to maybe have bare hands as an option to pick from your weapons menu, which would activate slightly different controls, allowing you to perform combos and acrobatics. I'd like to see Lara rely on her speed and agility, rather than brute force. If it's a mash-X-until-your-enemy-passes-out type of deal, though, then I'll pass.
Old 16-06-19, 20:11   #29
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
It'd be cool to maybe have bare hands as an option to pick from your weapons menu, which would activate slightly different controls, allowing you to perform combos and acrobatics. I'd like to see Lara rely on her speed and agility, rather than brute force. If it's a mash-X-until-your-enemy-passes-out type of deal, though, then I'll pass.
That is exactly how imagine it to be implemented. Mashing the same buttons over and over would be a lazy and boring implementation tbh so I agree.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-19, 20:15   #30
tomblover
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
Personally, I don't think QTEs are a better option. I'd rather keep those to a minimum.
Maybe my edit clarifies a bit what I mean. I'm certainly not looking for Legend 2.0 or anything.

Effectively, it'd replace the one-hit-kill dodge counter, that has trivialized close-quarters combat in the reboot games so far.

That's all I really want it to do, but a disarming mechanic, and an emphasis on putting space between you and the enemy so Lara can move freely, I think could be interesting.

Last edited by tomblover; 16-06-19 at 20:17.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote