Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 20-01-19, 17:28   #311
jajay119

I'd like to see more canon development of her skills this time round. Lara is pretty dedicated to this lifestyle now and needs to be ready for it. She surely has to be honing her skills but this never comes across.

The only new move she has really had, which she would clearly have to train to do, is the boulering in Shadow.

In TR2 Lara could wall climb and monkey swing and zip line which were new skills assed. You saw her dedication to her moveset right from the off. In fact, the first thing she says on return to CM in the game is
Quote:
'Welcome back, after that grueling business last year I built this assault course to hone my skills and learn some new ones'

Lara Croft 1997
This shows she found the events of TR1 more taxing than any previous adventures and knew she needed to up her game. Reboot era Lara never displays anything like this. It's amazing the difference a line of dialogue can make.

Yes, in the comics she's shown practising parkcour but none of that move set ever makes it into any of her in game moves so it may as well be de-canonised.

I'd like to see more freerunning/parcour/acrobatics skills in the next game: wall running (without the grapple as well as with as well as replacing the horrible double jump animation), monkey climbing, hand over hand, pole climbing, pole swinging, actual wall climbing without the need of the axes, multidirectional jumping, chimney jumping etc are all moves that could see a return... not all at once obviously.

However if Lara doesn't have anything really new in the next game nor allude to training herself now she has CM again I just think it will be incredibly poor storytelling.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 18:09   #312
TrustyBow

^^ I agree. She's a thrill seeker. Show that more! If she's not gonna do acrobatics, at least some parkour/free running.
I liked the addition of muscles, as it showed that she actually took the effort to physically prepare for her adventures. Still confused as to why they felt the need to tone it down.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-19, 18:33   #313
NoahCrofRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I'd like to see more canon development of her skills this time round. Lara is pretty dedicated to this lifestyle now and needs to be ready for it. She surely has to be honing her skills but this never comes across.

The only new move she has really had, which she would clearly have to train to do, is the boulering in Shadow.

In TR2 Lara could wall climb and monkey swing and zip line which were new skills assed. You saw her dedication to her moveset right from the off. In fact, the first thing she says on return to CM in the game is

This shows she found the events of TR1 more taxing than any previous adventures and knew she needed to up her game. Reboot era Lara never displays anything like this. It's amazing the difference a line of dialogue can make.

Yes, in the comics she's shown practising parkcour but none of that move set ever makes it into any of her in game moves so it may as well be de-canonised.

I'd like to see more freerunning/parcour/acrobatics skills in the next game: wall running (without the grapple as well as with as well as replacing the horrible double jump animation), monkey climbing, hand over hand, pole climbing, pole swinging, actual wall climbing without the need of the axes, multidirectional jumping, chimney jumping etc are all moves that could see a return... not all at once obviously.

However if Lara doesn't have anything really new in the next game nor allude to training herself now she has CM again I just think it will be incredibly poor storytelling.
I completely agree. I’d love some acrobatics and parkour in the next game. It’d freshen things up, and show some development in Lara.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-19, 16:48   #314
Chamayoo

Yes I'm all for (a lot of) new parkour/acrobatic moves... Pls.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 23:42   #315
Lyle Croft

Crappy sketch I did of my future Lara. Probably took about an hourish.

I really try to draw her, but it's kind of hard lol. I tried to draw classic Lara, but looking more realistically. I also tried to do it in Reboot Lara size...but my rendition of Lara ended up looking squashed and short, yet the outfit looks somewhat decent imo.

Lara would have below knee boots

Dual holsters which each side has a hook or carabiner for her axes (or elsewhere.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 05-02-19 at 23:43.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 23:46   #316
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
You really nailed Lara's face omg
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-19, 23:49   #317
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
You really nailed Lara's face omg
Thank you!!

Honestly, Classic Lara/realisticish is fun and easier for me to draw. I think it's because she's more "cartooney."

Reboot Lara...is tricky tbh (depending on which face). But her face doesn't really scream Lara to me in most cases (maybe a few)

Did another crappy drawing!!!

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Last edited by Lyle Croft; 06-02-19 at 00:34.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-19, 00:12   #318
Cal20608

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post

Yes,yes and Yes. Lara has had to learn the same things 3 times over in the games and Some are not even brought over to the next game like the climbing arrows or Greek Fire🔥
Cal20608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 21:54   #319
TrustyBow

I've been playing a lot of HZD recently. The use of colors and lighting in that game is mesmorizing. I'd love to see something similar in a future Tomb Raider game. It's use of lighting is reminiscent of Rise whereas it's color variation reminds me of Shadow.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-19, 22:34   #320
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I've been playing a lot of HZD recently. The use of colors and lighting in that game is mesmorizing. I'd love to see something similar in a future Tomb Raider game.
Maybe they could do that after they return Aloy's stolen wardrobe.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote