www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 24-01-20, 18:18   #1
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Default Get rid of Collectibles and Useless Tomb Skills

One thing that really bothers me about the reboot is the collectibles and the useless skills you get from tombs.

For collectibles there is far too many and they are completely useless other than a quick, "the more you know" segment. It would be better if these collectibles or old relics you find could be useful for something like unlocking certain parts of the game or unlocking extra weapons or outfits or something, just something for them to have a purpose.

As for Tombs I don't know why the changed this from 2013. In 2013 when you beat a "tomb" you were rewarded with a weapon part. Why did they change this to having them give useless skills that mostly go towards survivor instincts? Like why, most of them were useless anyway, like seeing the animals heart? What was the point of that? If the "tombs" formula has to continue then reward people with powerful weapons or cool outfits, you know something that feels deserving of completing the "challenge" of a tomb.
Old 24-01-20, 18:42   #2
Samz
Relic Hunter

This is actually a thing I think AOD did better somewhat.

In AOD, you occasionally (such as Vasiley's hidden basement area, Carvier's Louvre office and Von Croy's apartment) could interact with books and such to learn a bit more about the stuff involved, there was a little bit of overlap (I suppose in-case players missed one.) but I felt it was alot more reasonable than Matthias having a diary about how he's an evil person and lying to his cult split all over an island his cult lives on or Anna just admitting Konstatines entire dumb backstory in an audio-log he could have found in a facility he was in.

Occasionally let use read some ancient text or someone else's research, all in one place rather than somehow scattered to get some stuff and not replace ammo/health and weapon secrets with it.

Last edited by Samz; 24-01-20 at 18:52.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 10:25   #3
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I want some collectibles but not too many.

And yeah they should feel rewarding to collect, unlocking weapons, costumes and artworks. Perhaps something inspired by the secrets system of the classics games would be best.

I'd love if these secret areas had some logic-based puzzles, in addition to (not entirely replacing) the physics ones of the reboot era and the obstacle ones of the classics.
Old 25-01-20, 16:04   #4
trfan16
Archaeologist

I enjoyed the documents and relics in TR2013, it was one of my new favorite additions to the series. I generally like when games have documents that provide lore behind the story, like the Resident Evil series for example. Unlike RE though, the Reboot games went way overboard with the collectibles. I don't remember the collectibles in TR2013 going too overboard, aside from the GPS caches. But Rise and Shadow definitely went overboard with them, and they also started becoming filler too. I really don't want to read a file about the daily life in Paititi. I pretty much tuned most of the documents and relics out in Shadow because there were so many of them and they were uninteresting.

Going forward, I don't mind if they keep the documents as long as they're not large in numbers or contain useless information. I agree there should be award attached to them for finding them all as well. I would ditch the other collectibles like the caches, maps, and maybe even the relics.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-20, 21:34   #5
cephasjames
Archaeologist

Meh. As collectibles are optional, it doesn't matter if they're in the game or how much they're in the game.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 05:04   #6
Error96
Explorer

There are way too many skills and collectables that it just becomes a chore to get them. I would rather have far fewer but more difficult to acquire things and maybe the way TR legend did it is the way to go.
Old 26-01-20, 11:58   #7
MelikeLara
Professor

I definitely agree there are too many in Rise and Shadow. I can't help but have to collect everything and 100% the game, so it almost becomes a chore too do. I'd rather them equal better upgrades and perhaps open other areas. I've recently started playing Resident Evil, and I enjoy the collecting stuff, combining it to get somewhere etc
Old 26-01-20, 13:02   #8
cephasjames
Archaeologist

I agree on the skills. Shadow, with its lesser combat, had too many pointless skills.

As for people feeling like they must 100% the game, therefore there should be fewer collectibles... that's a personal issue, lol. Self control works wonders.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-20, 13:23   #9
Dennis's Mom

It used to be you had to explore to win the game. You needed the ammo, health packs, new weapons. Finding stuff was integral to success.

Lately, the games have done everything they can to make finding stuff meaningless. It's all too much for too little reward. Taking XP to the upgrade mall is just boring. Crafting is . . . dumb. Why would I shoot 20 squirrels to get a better ammo pouch when there's a better one on that merc I just shot? #robthedead
Old 26-01-20, 13:44   #10
Samz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
It used to be you had to explore to win the game. You needed the ammo, health packs, new weapons. Finding stuff was integral to success.

Lately, the games have done everything they can to make finding stuff meaningless. It's all too much for too little reward. Taking XP to the upgrade mall is just boring. Crafting is . . . dumb. Why would I shoot 20 squirrels to get a better ammo pouch when there's a better one on that merc I just shot? #robthedead
Or when a single merc you kill gives 10 bullets without any scavenging upgrades if I remember.

Which is easily 9 more bullets than you used to kill him, a full 10 if he was on his own since it's not like you need to worry about getting hurt and having to heal with limited healing.

In 2013/Rise I could almost never actually pick up the ammo boxes you find around the world since I had that much ammo, pretty much the only time I did was shotgunning those barricades.

Last edited by Samz; 26-01-20 at 13:46.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote