www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III > The Lost Artifact

Old 27-04-19, 12:00   #81
Opaque79
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
Is it? Any source on that?

If anything lmao it's literally nothing, you're ripping a disc for yourself, to preserve the physical disc.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...in-the-UK.html
Here's one source of it. It is illegal under ANY circumstances in the UK
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-19, 12:58   #82
fallenangle
Archaeologist

^ Just like using a VCR or any other devices for recording broadcast TV programmes in the UK.

When VCRs were first available in the UK in the mid 1970s it was illegal to use them for that purpose. Laughably the government's own broadcast media watchdog OFCOM was also breaking the law in recording TV broadcasts even in relation to their primary function: "supervision and control" of those broadcasts". Doh!

At some point (apparently 1988) they changed the law to make it legal for OFCOM to do their job and TV licence payers to record stuff for time shift purposes. I think there was still some rule that the programmes had to be deleted after a certain number of day.

The main stricture is that the copy could not be shared or used for commercial broadcast purposes.

AFAIK that fatuous law, clearly created by law makers with no understanding of the technology, is still applicable. So anyone who lends a recording of a TV show to a relative or friend, makes an audio cassette mix tape or the modern equivalent even from their owned legally own discs or downloads, records/copies chart music or other programmes from the radio/TV or now online and makes a backup, keeps or shares them with anyone. for any reason, not just financial gain, is still guilty of breaking copyright law in the UK.

The US is much more realistic in its approach to such matters where the term: "fair use" applies and legally flexible enough to protect both the copyright holders but not making people backing up the media they own into criminals.

In the UK we're likely all criminals under strict interpretation of our laws. We are a very naughty nation.

Last edited by fallenangle; 28-04-19 at 12:08. Reason: typo
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-19, 13:40   #83
Opaque79
Archaeologist

In short, technically we can't legally backup old game discs but does that really stop anyone?

Even copying a file from a CD is illegal according to UK law
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-19, 14:28   #84
Woops
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
In short, technically we can't legally backup old game discs but does that really stop anyone?

Even copying a file from a CD is illegal according to UK law
I doubt the government will care if you rip a game disc from 2000 tbh, so no, it shouldn't be stopping anyone really.
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-19, 22:30   #85
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
Thought I would share my opinion.

This game does need a digital release. Although ripping the CD would be nice to preserve it, this is actually illegal in the UK. So UK residents are stuck there.

Just looked and found only 4 copies for sale. Glad I got a big box copy
Honestly this game is going to vanish pretty soon if nothing is really done about it.

I made sure to back up the contents of the CD in case the CD ever breaks, but there are so many classic fans who haven't played this at all.

Preservation of such a game should be more important then anything else. I seriously doubt anyone is going to care to see this product uploaded.

It's out of print anyway. Yeah we make such a case about buying this game, but honestly no one, but the seller is getting any money out of this.

There is zero difference between buying it off ebay and just downloading it. No one is getting paid any royalties so I honestly think it's perfectly fine.

Legally this software is considered abandonware and there isn't anything anyone can really do about it if someone decided to host it somewhere.

They obviously don't care enough about it if by this point, almost a year later we have yet to see a response.
Old 28-04-19, 00:49   #86
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I managed to get Lost Artifact on Ebay delivered here to the UK for myself a couple of years ago as it was at the time I learned about the expansion packs for PC so I bought them one after the other but I was lucky to fine a genuine one and luckily it works almost fine just installing it from the disc itself on a modern PC and it is possible to create a working Unfinished Business and Golden Mask expansion if you own the original games on Steam.

Square cannot do anything right with the current era of Tomb Raider so hoping they will do something for the classic era and get it right is just hoping for a miracle but they also won't do anything that won't make a heap of money so you would be waiting until the day you die to see them release the bonus levels on Steam itself and you all saw how their ports went when it came to different devices as they did not last long at all.

I'd rather Square keep their hands off something that is perfectly fine how it is and your best bet would most likely be searching online to purchase and if it was legal and we had confirmation by creators to do it, i'd have uploaded the files from my game itself to share with the community a long time ago so everyone else could get a chance to play it if they had not got it themselves but yeah, Lost Artifact is pretty rare nowadays.
Old 02-05-19, 20:19   #87
gioA
Student

Hi.
Managed to get a copy of this.
I have tried installing and using the multipatch for windows 10. However when I start the game it reaches the title screen and the options ring is not present then disappears as if program has closed down - any ideas?
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 20:28   #88
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

That is odd. I usually start the install, then follow on with the multi patch afterwards, then use the setup to get everything right and it works from then on without an issue though if that fails for you, then there is always an option to change the compatibility to see if that does anything for you.

It may be loading issues as it can be slow between levels and there is a no-CD patch out there but due to rules i'm afraid i'm not allowed to mention where but you use it with a copy of the folders from the CD itself, much like how the multi patch places TR3's files into the location it is installed.

I use a Windows 10 Home Edition but I don't think it would make a difference here.
Old 02-05-19, 21:01   #89
laravision
Archaeologist

A few years ago, this forum re-evaluated it's policies regarding the use of software/patches that can allow for No-CD play, provided that you own the original disc/s and wish to take advantage of any mods and/or eliminate CD stuttering/pauses, among other issues.

As gioA claims to have a copy, he/she can try to use a No-CD executable. The multipatcher utility never provided a No-CD Lost Artifact executable like it did for TR3, and since there doesn't exist a legal digital download (which is silly), you can use the ones that have been provided on this forum...

Install the game from the disc, run the TR multipatcher for Lost Artifact, then manually copy the DATA, FMV, AUDIO and PIX folders from the CD to the Lost Artifact directory. Then use this No-CD executable to eliminate the need for the CD. Alternatively you could try Arsunt's patch which allows for widescreen visuals and FMV fixes.

My advice though, is to install/place the game in a custom location, such as the Documents folder, in order to bypass the VirtualStore folder being used to store config files and savegames. Make sure the folder you choose generates a config.txt file when you launch the game.
Old 04-05-19, 16:00   #90
tlr online
Administrator

I'm still working this.

I'm looking for someone with programming experience to drop me a PM. Thanks.
tlr online is online now   Reply With Quote