www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 29-08-22, 23:30   #11
Zebra
Legend

Yeah, the beginning was pretty slow. It gets better later on (I think around episode 3/4 is when it started picking up steam). I wouldn't say it's quite the mind-blowing experience some people have told me it would be but it's definitely good. My suspicion is that the original comic book (which I've never read) is probably better, as is so often the case with adaptations. There are just things that feel like they would work better in that format. But even so, I've had a good time watching the show.
Old 30-08-22, 18:55   #12
laralives
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodydog View Post
3 episodes in. Finding it a little bit dull too.
I've learned to adjust the "play speed" for slower episodes (or movies)- there's a built in feature within Netflix- or you can download an extension for your browser and set shortcuts to play even faster than 1.5 speed. Hope that helps!
Old 02-09-22, 00:20   #13
Rai

I've just finished. I enjoyed it though at times I was confused and grossed out. I felt the two extra stories to be very nice additions as standalone stories though connected through Morpheus. Honestly, I went through a variety of emotions, and to me, that is what makes a good story.
Old 06-09-22, 02:55   #14
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I've just finished. I enjoyed it though at times I was confused and grossed out. I felt the two extra stories to be very nice additions as standalone stories though connected through Morpheus. Honestly, I went through a variety of emotions, and to me, that is what makes a good story.
There are a handful of standalone stories in the run of Sandman. Calliope and The Dream of a Thousand Cats are both part of Dream Country, the third volume. If we're lucky, we'll get A Midsummer Night's Dream next, which is the story which won Sandman a World Fantasy Award.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 15:26   #15
.snake.
Inactive

I love the original Sandman, and was always a fan of the comic book series and Neil Gaiman.

I've held off on watching the show for now though because I've heard some fans say the casting for certain characters was badly done.

Although, interesting trivia: the actor playing Nimrod is Kerry Shale who also voiced Von Croy. Small world.

Last edited by .snake.; 07-09-22 at 15:27.
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-22, 23:06   #16
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post

I've held off on watching the show for now though because I've heard some fans say the casting for certain characters was badly done.
The casting is fine, especially since pretty much all of this was vetted by Gaiman himself. Unless you are a fan that is disappointed that the Endless are not chalk-white beings with inhuman eyes and otherwordly voices, that characters that were meant to be androgynous or sexless have human actors that have a physical sex, or is upset that John Constantine wasn't going to be here because of licensing rights and the need to have Sandman be separate from all of the other Constantine related stuff out there right now.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-22, 18:39   #17
Profc
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
The casting is fine, especially since pretty much all of this was vetted by Gaiman himself. Unless you are a fan that is disappointed that the Endless are not chalk-white beings with inhuman eyes and otherwordly voices, that characters that were meant to be androgynous or sexless have human actors that have a physical sex, or is upset that John Constantine wasn't going to be here because of licensing rights and the need to have Sandman be separate from all of the other Constantine related stuff out there right now.
I agreed with some of the casting decisions, but disagreed with others. I think some of the casting was lazy. I liked the Lucifer, but I felt that the Constantine one ended up being more confusing. (I loved her acting, but when her ancestor showed up, it ended up being super confusing. I assumed that they were the same person. Then I learned that they weren't from the Neil Gaiman interview. (Yes, I know, they kind of make it clear in the previous episodes, but it still ends up being confusing)

Although I didn't read the comics, I was aware of the Sandman universe, because Neil Gaiman inspired so many other writers.

When I saw Lucienne's character, I immediately guessed that she wasn't a black woman in the comics. I think that's a bad sign. I mean is that what the black audience wants? A bald black woman in business suit, faithfully serving her master throughout the eternity, and dealing with her difficult boss? I mean Lucien himself doesn't have an interesting design, but changing something for the sake of changing it, makes it even more bizarre in the end. Based on my observations from the Sims community, black people generally cherish their hair style and sense of fashion.

As for death, I prefer the Gothic lady with the bleached skin. I honestly don't understand Netflix's decision with making white goth characters black. (it's changing things a bit too much) I disliked the L in the Death Note movie. I am completely indifferent to the Death here. I think the actress did a decent job portraying the character. But I guess painting her skin with white Gothic make up would have been huge no in today's political climate
Old 08-09-22, 19:00   #18
Dennis's Mom

Netflix made zero decisions on casting. Those were all made by Neil himself.
Old 08-09-22, 19:54   #19
Profc
Archaeologist

I was mostly thinking about this article:

"Why Does Everything On Netflix Look Like That? Even if you don’t know what to look for, you’ll probably be able to guess if something was created for Netflix just based on a few frames. " (It's not only about the casting itself)

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ake3...look-like-that

I don't really get involved in the political side of things. I was happy with some, unhappy with other parts. I loved the bonus episode with Cassandra's VO actress playing Calliope.

I know that casting was mainly done by Neil Gaiman. But still, the part with Constantine confused me a bit.

Last edited by Profc; 08-09-22 at 20:10.
Profc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-22, 20:41   #20
Teone
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
There was that one episode I really really hated. (the diner)
The episode of the diner is theatrical, infact it's set in a single location.
Actually, it's a very interesting episode. It looks like a screenplay by Harold Pinter for the slow progression from a normal situation to the tragedy.

But in general my feeling about this serie is... meh!
Not much interested in a new season.
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote